collapse

Author Topic: Wetsuit 7mm Jacket & 5mm Pants? Pros + Cons?  (Read 872 times)

Offline JRidley

Wetsuit 7mm Jacket & 5mm Pants? Pros + Cons?
« on: May 24, 2018, 11:03:57 PM »
Hello,
If anyone has time to quickly explain if 7mm Jacket & 5mm Wetsuit Pants is appropriate and/or beneficial for freediving/spearfishing the North Coast?  I would think that 7mm jacket and 7mm wetsuit pants would be better for around here? Please correct me if I am wrong.  Part of the reason I am asking is because I have a Mares Instinct 70 green camo jacket (7mm) but am having difficulty finding the green camo pants (need size 6)  in 7mm (easy enough to find 5.5mm pants).  I believe I can special order the 7mm pants but its $160 + tax.  I regularly see good deals on open cell wetsuits that have the 7mm jacket with 5mm pants but I am unclear whether that is a savvy set up for our local waters.   Thank you for any advice offered.

Offline makemwearit

• Aquaholic
Re: Wetsuit 7mm Jacket & 5mm Pants? Pros + Cons?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 11:16:11 PM »
I have the Mares 7mm top and 5.5mm bottoms in Instinct Green, worn them a little over a year and dove plenty through this winter from Mendo down to Carmel.  Occasionally, if I'm not being very active and super relaxed, I start to feel a bit cold but overall they keep me sufficiently warm. If I get cold it's around the 4-5 hour mark in the water when tiring in general. That really only started once I put a good size tear in the pants via a kayak j-hook... I'm sure if I repaired it I would notice it less.  :o  It could also be that I wore the suit tank diving a handful of  times (although not to excessive depth) and may have compromised a bit of the thickness through prolonged compression.

The 7mm top/5.5mm bottom should keep you plenty warm, but to be on the safe side I'd go with 7mm bottoms if you tend to get cold... some people do wear 5mm up here and fare just fine.  It's definitely easier to find a good deal on the Mares 5.5 bottoms than the 7mm. Do you run hot or cold?

Happy hunting
apneaddict
FII Level 1 Freediver

Offline Finsup

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2018, 05:57:57 AM »
I wear 7 top 5 bottom in winter's worst and 5 all around the rest of the time. I only notice the cold around the 4-5hr mark. I've been told it's because I'm not relaxed and such by scuba and freedivers which is funny because my tanks last longer than most dive instructors. I suggest going w a 7/5 for spring and summer and get the 7mm pants in the winter if you need them. I also found that I don't need gloves if I'm just scuba diving... Go figure.

rluiz

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2018, 11:32:55 AM »
Just get different color pants, fish don't care and spearfishing isn't a fashion show. 7 pants and jacket will keep you warmer longer

Offline Slamson

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 07:21:17 PM »
I agree with Rob. I wear 7 and 7 and I still get cold after a couple hours, but everybody is different.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2018, 09:44:10 PM »
7/7. You wont regret staying warmer.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2018, 02:59:53 PM »
7/7. You wont regret staying warmer.

I can't agree more. I was the dumb guy that did a 5/5 and I'm constantly cold but not willing to but a new suit till this one dies (which I hope is soon) unless anyone wants to hook it up with a "sponsorship!" haha I always bring hot tea in a thermos on my dive float to help me warm up. It doesn't work well, but pee does!  :P haha
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline DG

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 03:21:12 PM »

I can't agree more. I was the dumb guy that did a 5/5 and I'm constantly cold but not willing to but a new suit till this one dies (which I hope is soon) unless anyone wants to hook it up with a "sponsorship!" haha I always bring hot tea in a thermos on my dive float to help me warm up. It doesn't work well, but pee does!  :P haha

Save the 5/5 for So Cal and grab a cheaper 7/7 on sale or used.  What size are you I can keep my eyes open for a deal. 

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2018, 04:03:49 PM »

Save the 5/5 for So Cal and grab a cheaper 7/7 on sale or used.  What size are you I can keep my eyes open for a deal.

I'm 6'3" and 195lbs (pretty fit as far as build) so I'm not sure what size I am in wet suit. but I'd love help in finding a good deal. I hate shivering 60 minutes into a dive.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline andrew37

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2018, 08:01:16 PM »

I'm 6'3" and 195lbs (pretty fit as far as build) so I'm not sure what size I am in wet suit. but I'd love help in finding a good deal. I hate shivering 60 minutes into a dive.

Don't mean to derail the thread too much, but I might have an old suit I could pass your way. I need to get a couple more dives in on the new suit to make sure I don't want to hang onto it for those extra-chilly days (I went the opposite direction and dropped from a 7 to a 5 because I usually find myself overheating in Monterey), but as long as I stay as warm the next couple weekends as I did on the first dive, the old suit's just going to be collecting dust.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2018, 11:25:56 PM »

Don't mean to derail the thread too much, but I might have an old suit I could pass your way. I need to get a couple more dives in on the new suit to make sure I don't want to hang onto it for those extra-chilly days (I went the opposite direction and dropped from a 7 to a 5 because I usually find myself overheating in Monterey), but as long as I stay as warm the next couple weekends as I did on the first dive, the old suit's just going to be collecting dust.

Just messaged you. If it fits, I'd be happy to purchase from you!

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt