collapse

Author Topic: 45 or 100  (Read 652 times)

Offline Finsup

45 or 100
« on: May 24, 2018, 05:57:55 PM »
I'm putting together a gun for YT in socal and similar sized fish in Hawaii and Baja. Not sure if I'm going to need 45 or 100 meters of line. Am thinking I could always attach a float line if I was worried about getting spoiled. Any suggestions? I'm just moving into this realm after working reefs and holes for the last year and I'd like to have a nice rig I could use throughout the summer trips. Going w a sniper 115 and Falco reel, just have to decide on the line length. Thanks!

rluiz

Re: 45 or 100
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2018, 08:22:36 PM »
If it holds 100 why not?

Offline Finsup

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2018, 08:45:44 PM »
There are two sizes. Looking at a falco and they come in 45 and 100 meters. You're the person I wanted to ask because you use the same rig. Looking at a pathos 115 w falco?

Offline Finsup

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2018, 08:58:15 PM »
My main reason for not jumping at a 100 meter reel was size and weight, but if I'm going to need it then...

rluiz

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2018, 11:29:10 AM »
There are better people on here who can probably give better advice, but I would say 100. What's the weight difference?

Offline Finsup

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2018, 03:15:13 PM »
Through some Italian magicry the reels weigh the same, so just the weight of 50 meters of line and the extra drag from size difference. I think I'll go with the 100 meters. I can use it for line diving as well.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2018, 08:52:44 PM »
Depends on what you are targeting.
YT ,sierra  and reef species you can go either way, 100m reel is not gunna affect anything  too much weight wise and its better to have extra.  I had a 80 meter on my 115 pathos sniper and took it off because i use a break away or shock cord with a floatline. 
Just watch out for fish wrapping you around the rocks,  i like a break away because i can put instant pressure on the floatline with 2 hands. 
If your going to run a floatline minus well forget the reel, the main point of the reel is too have the freedom of not dragging around a float.
Dorado/wahoo/ other large pelagics your going to want a break away, a reel is one more thing to tangle and make you loose evrything you own when a fish is running away at 40mph.

Also avoid the pathos  plastic reels,  everyone ive had and seen has had the drag  knob break off.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Finsup

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 03:03:52 PM »
Thanks Rob and Ryan, your experience and advice are much appreciated. Next beer is on me. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt