collapse

Author Topic: Ab Steaks...  (Read 649 times)

Offline ASteve

• A Steve Cali Outdoor Photography
Ab Steaks...
« on: March 26, 2010, 09:40:14 AM »
My favorite way to enjoy abalone:

Start by putting the ab in a sock.  Hold onto the sock and pound the middle with a large mallet until it starts to give.  Make sure you are on a hard surface like cement.  Usually 3-4 good hits on the attaching foot (shell to ab attachment area) works.  Turn over and repeat.  This time it will only take a few hits.  You can hear it when the ab gives.  Carefull not to over do it and split the heck out of the ab.  Now still holding the sock tilt the ab on an angle, attaching foot down position, to get the most surface area on the cement.  Go around the edge perimeter with firm but easy hits to the edge.  Here is where you can really split the ab so be careful it doesn't take much.  Turn over and repeat. This process does take a lot practice, but eventually you'll get the feel of it.

Now remove the ab from the sock and with the abalone lying on it's foot slice the abalone into 1/2" steaks.  You can trim the black off or leave it.

Now heat up a sauce pan with about 4-6 cubes of butter and melt.  You will need enough butter so that the ab steaks are completely covered.  Now bring the butter to a simmer.  Place as many steaks as you can into the simmering butter and let cook until you can stick a fork into the ab easily.  Remove the cooked ab onto a plate with napkins to absorb the dripping butter.  You now can eat this way or for finishing touch drop the ab steaks on a barbecue and lightly brown them.  If done right you should be able to cut the ab with a fork very easily.  Make a sandwich, or squeeze some lemon juice on it, or Tabasco, or whatever...and eat and Enjoy!

SC

Offline mot

Re: Ab Steaks...
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 01:42:33 PM »
sounds tasty, no calories I am sure. It seem all the good things in life are that way! I will give it a shot if the ocean ever let's us in.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt