collapse

Author Topic: Better Dive Reflex  (Read 443 times)

Offline chopper

Better Dive Reflex
« on: April 20, 2018, 07:29:56 AM »
Interesting article in the NYTimes on a study of the Bajau divers of Indonesia -- a scientist is finding genetic links to why they are such great divers.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/19/science/bajau-evolution-ocean-diving.html

Cheers,
Brad

Offline dank

Re: Better Dive Reflex
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 08:48:42 AM »
I read that too. Really interesting. I'm guessing that there have been many groups of people throughout human history who have entered the water to get their food rather than just fished it from the surface or gathered it along the shoreline. One of the main pillars of early human evolutionary theory is that the first food that our ancestors cooked were mussels, and that eating a diet rich in that type of protein directly correlated to the evolution of our brains and made them what they are today among modern humans. There's further theorizing (impossible at this point to test or know for sure) that humans are mostly hairless because our ancestors spent so much of their time getting in the water to hunt and gather food. This suggests that we are all descendants of a sort of freediving way of life that predates even our current genetic/biological makeup.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt