collapse

Author Topic: Anyone use dyneema as shooting line on hole guns?  (Read 876 times)

Offline andrew37

Anyone use dyneema as shooting line on hole guns?
« on: April 05, 2018, 02:18:31 PM »
TL/DR: Would love to hear from anyone using dyneema / spectra as shooting line on their hole guns.

Like most people around here, I've been using mono (usually 200 - 250 lb, but 300 lb on occasion) for shooting line since I started diving. Lately, though, I've been diving more frequently and more aggressively, and I'm finding I need to change out my shooting line once or twice a month. That's getting old fast, and frankly feels really wasteful, so I'm thinking about swapping out my mono for some stiff, thin dyneema. I'd much rather swap out a more expensive shooting line once a year than replace mono every other trip.

The only real complaints I can find on other boards concern dyneema slowing shafts down, particularly on lower powered, euro-style guns shooting thin shafts. But my intuition is that for the distances we tend to shoot up here, it shouldn't make much of a difference, since there's not nearly as much time for the shooting line's drag to decelerate the shaft as there would be on a double- or even single-wrapped 130.

Curious to hear from any of you who use / have used dyneema / spectra shooting line on your hole guns. Benthic sells their stiff Aussie dyneema in 1.4mm, which is roughly the same diameter as 250 lb mono. If it doesn't affect velocity or power too much, the benefits of abrasion resistance would seem to make it a no-brainer.

Offline DG

Re: Anyone use dyneema as shooting line on hole guns?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 03:06:00 PM »
I've been diving more frequently and more aggressively, and I'm finding I need to change out my shooting line once or twice a month.
Does more aggressively mean rubbing the line on rocks.  I have never heard of someone changing the line that frequently.  Maybe you should just try a different set up and let us know how it works for you.  Would you crimp the ends or tie a knot. 

Offline andrew37

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 03:13:26 PM »
I've been diving more frequently and more aggressively, and I'm finding I need to change out my shooting line once or twice a month.
Does more aggressively mean rubbing the line on rocks.  I have never heard of someone changing the line that frequently.  Maybe you should just try a different set up and let us know how it works for you.  Would you crimp the ends or tie a knot.

Yeah, rubbing on rocks and bending it out of shape to the point that it no longer lays properly along the track under the tension of the reel. The latter is my own fault; it's the result of me shooting fish farther back in holes than I can reach, and having to wrap the shooting line around my hand to get the shaft / fish out. But I'm also finding a lot more nicks in my shooting line than I used to. It could just be that they're more obvious on the high-viz line I've been using lately than they were on my old black & blue line, so on their own they might not be that big of a deal. But between the nicks and kinking the line out of shape, I tend to feel better swapping it out.

I think I might just try some of the 1.4mm stuff and see how it does. Ideally I'd like to use a figure-8 follow-through instead of crimps, but I'll play around with it both ways.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 03:15:11 PM by andrew37 »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2018, 03:57:17 PM »
If it seems like a no brainer but nobody is doing it, there must be a reason why.

It can knot up where mono won’t.

It can come untied, requests specific knot to hold on the slick coating. Palomar knot.

Harder to cut in an emergency.

Sill get abrasions on the reef and needs to be replaced, which is why we use sacrificial mono.

Gets wrapped up in bands more easily.

Won’t break if spear is lodged in a hole or in an emergency.

All that aside, some of my older guns used a braided shooting line.  I have the feeling that it is a safety issue, and in our sport many safety issues are written in blood.  If you decide to try it please let us know how it works out.

Offline andrew37

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2018, 04:21:53 PM »
If it seems like a no brainer but nobody is doing it, there must be a reason why.

It can come untied, requests specific knot to hold on the slick coating. Palomar knot.

Sill get abrasions on the reef and needs to be replaced, which is why we use sacrificial mono.

All that aside, some of my older guns used a braided shooting line.  I have the feeling that it is a safety issue, and in our sport many safety issues are written in blood.  If you decide to try it please let us know how it works out.

That's all totally fair. Reading the other boards it just seems like there's been a renewed interest with people using it (particularly the newer, stiffer stuff) in lieu of cable around rigs / wrecks and in lieu of mono in blue water, and it seems like most of the benefits people highlight would carry over to hole hunting as well. I'll buy a couple feet of Benthic's stuff and report back after I put in some time with it.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 06:23:27 PM »

That's all totally fair. Reading the other boards it just seems like there's been a renewed interest with people using it (particularly the newer, stiffer stuff) in lieu of cable around rigs / wrecks and in lieu of mono in blue water, and it seems like most of the benefits people highlight would carry over to hole hunting as well. I'll buy a couple feet of Benthic's stuff and report back after I put in some time with it.
I used to have it on my guns and it seemed to tangle with everything it touched. Now i use #400 mono. Its heavy but dosnt tangle and ive never had to change it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 10:25:27 PM »
400 lb mono, is better than dynema..... but does seem a little excessive for nor cal.... lol.....

Offline the_derek

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2018, 09:32:09 AM »
I snapped my mono in Jan, was able to tie dynema from my reel to the shaft in the water an keep diving for the day. I did not notice any speed difference, and it did seem to hold up while shooting.

However, as Ryan said, it gets caught on everything. gets caught on the rocks, urchin, pretty much everything it touches. the mono seems to keep its shape, unlike dynema (it gets all weird and hard to figure out sometimes when reloading). I think you could cut it just fine in an emergency if your knife is sharp.

Give it a try, but I think you will find that mono is the best way to go.

good luck, and report back what you think.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »

I used to have it on my guns and it seemed to tangle with everything it touched. Now i use #400 mono. Its heavy but dosnt tangle and ive never had to change it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use 250# mono. I don’t use 400# because of its stiffness. I am a little concerned that such a stiff line on a hole gun, or shaft with little mass to be more exact, would change the trajectory of the shaft. If this holds true, it would become more exaggerated with decreasing shaft size and increasing shot distance. Since my go to gun is 60cm I use light mono and have never had a problem with accuracy. But if all of your shooting is in holes, or if you suck, you can use whatever test you like and it won’t make a difference.  ;)

Offline charlierobinton

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2019, 10:13:43 AM »
I just happened to notice this and although its an old topic thought I'd add input since I've been using dyneema for almost a year on my guns up here. I do notice a difference in shaft speed if I go too heavy. I started with 1.9 because that is what I had, and it definitely slows the shaft down. That being said, 90% of the time it makes no difference since you can get so close to the fish. Thinner dyneema is much better.

Interestingly, I haven't had any of the other troubles mentioned in previous comments. Maybe it is the line I'm using but it doesn't tangle too bad and I never notice it getting hung up any more than mono. With a sharp knife it cuts easily, although I've never had to test that theory in the water.

It does hold up much better than mono, and I can think of one specific situation where I was glad to have it as it saved my shaft and fish. I shot a big ling deep in the back of a very narrow crack and the shaft was firmly lodged at least 10ft back. After 3 dives each from me and my partner we were starting to feel like cutting the line was gonna be the only option. On his next drop he had the bright idea of pulling the line to the side along the base of the rock to move the shaft to a different angle. To accomplish this, he had to move the line sideways and break through a crust of rocks, urchins and who knows what other sharp junk. I watched him violently jerking the line sideways and breaking through 3-4 feet of this stuff to move the line sideways to a larger opening. We got back the shaft, the big ling and the line didn't show a single sign of wear.

If you can deal with the loss in shaft speed and get used to handling it this stuff is legit. Based on my experience I would recommend it for this kind of diving.

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 02:03:07 PM »
I don't remember seeing your guns with dyneema, Andrew. Did you ever pull the trigger on this move?

Also, I've used the same mono for a LONG time before I finally replaced it but only because it was getting weak at the back crimp.
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline andrew37

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 06:25:17 PM »
I don't remember seeing your guns with dyneema, Andrew. Did you ever pull the trigger on this move?

Also, I've used the same mono for a LONG time before I finally replaced it but only because it was getting weak at the back crimp.

Narp. At the time I was running the stock Pathos shaft on my 82, and I didn’t want to add unnecessary drag to such a light shaft (I think it was only 6.5 or 6.75mm). I also realized the hi-viz line I’d switched to showed wear a lot quicker than the blue line I’d been running previously because any little imperfection glowed like a fiber optic cable. Combine that realization with a short supply of disposable fuks and I decided to just let it ride. Got about a year of hard use out of the line before I snapped it. Now I re-rig every six months or so, but that’s mostly just because I enjoy it.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt