collapse

Author Topic: Humbolt Squid  (Read 1274 times)

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
Humbolt Squid
« on: March 25, 2010, 04:17:52 PM »
1 – Humboldt squid
Cut the squid into 3” x 3” squares and slice about a ¼” thick. Soak in lemon juice for a few hours to remove the acidic flavor. Pound the steaks under saran wrap to cut down on squid juices splattering everywhere. Cover steaks in flour and shake off the excess.  Next drop the floured steaks into beaten eggs. Now roll in a seasoned breadcrumb mixture or Panko. Now fry a couple at medium heat for about 1 minute on each side. Let them cool for a minute and taste it for seasoning and chewy ness. If the squid is too chewy then you overcooked it. If it’s raw and goopy then cook the next batch a little longer. Serve with cocktail sauce.
Open the windows and turn the fan on high, they have a strong fishy smell when cooked.
Humboldt squid will not taste like what you get at the grocery store.  Humboldt’s will have a lemony, almost acidic flavor.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
Re: Humbolt Squid
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 04:30:56 PM »
Here are some recipes I picked up from a Google search.
The cleaning part I have already completed.
Try them or some of your own ideas and let me know what works for you.
Dave C
1 - Soak it in milk. When we were ready to grill it we would boil it for about 30 seconds first to take out the salt. Then we would grill it. Use some kind of sauce after or during grilling and then you have huge pure protein steaks.

2 - Slice it thin like an ab steak (no more than a 1/4") and in strips. Bread it, fry it and use Lime wedges to sprig.

3 - The knock on squid is that it is tough and chewy, but again this is mostly the result of overcooking. Overcooked squid is a disaster - seriously, you could retread truck tires with the stuff. Properly cooked, it is quite edible, though some people may find it a bit firm. If you're worried about this, there are a couple of ways to tenderize squid steaks, which you can do individually or in combination. Wrap the squid steak in plastic, and pound it with a meat tenderizer, wooden mallet. The other thing is to use a marinade containing something acidic, like lemon juice or vinegar.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 05:26:32 AM »
We have been cooking the hell out of squid at work, my other work partner slayed them just as Dave did! I also ate over 200 pounds worth throughout the last two seasons with friends. I have found that keeping the steaks on the thin side, less than 1/4", and breading just like for Abalone, the squid is absolutely scrumptious! I see no need for pounding as the thin steaks just melt in your mouth, we've NEVER had a tough piece! You have to make sure to fillet or remove the thin layer on the inside of the squid and the thicker outer skin on the outside of the squid fillet. This is what sometimes messes up the whole process if not done correctly!  The guys at work just put the stuff down like there's no tomorrow! Anyone that thinks the Giant Humbolts aren't good eating is just screwing up the cooking process just like Dave's saying. The best way I've found so far is to make large, thin steaks and adorn with a lemon cream sauce, nothing like it! I found the sauce on line, if you want the recipe, PM me and I'll hook you up.
Mike Rogers
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 07:34:14 PM »
Thanks Mike

Abdvrob

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 06:26:40 AM »
It doesn't involve tarter sauce does it Mike?? Lol!

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:15:13 PM »
I cooked some squid tonight and each time we do it comes out a little better.
I marinated it in soy sauce, ginger and lime juice for 3 hours.
Then dipped it in egg and panco and fried it in butter and oil.
The lemon and lime juice get rid of that acid flavor.

It sure stinks up the house, open windows and turn up the fan  :tongue5:

JChoy

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 04:40:53 PM »
Everything but the lemony/acidic taste of those squids is great. It's just the fact that it tastes like malt vinegar, when I haven't added any just gets to me. My conclusion has always been is that once you boat these things, they just start digesting themselves since they're no longer feasting on our deep water rockfish stores. These digestive acids may be what gives their flesh the distinctive taste and different textures from firm to mushy/watery depending on when you've guted, cleaned, and iced the meat.

Still I like how people deal with the lemony taste - add lemon cream sauce or squirts of lemon and lime, that'll surely cover it up. But maybe that's the best way to get around it.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:46:47 PM »
Everything but the lemony/acidic taste of those squids is great. It's just the fact that it tastes like malt vinegar, when I haven't added any just gets to me. My conclusion has always been is that once you boat these things, they just start digesting themselves since they're no longer feasting on our deep water rockfish stores. These digestive acids may be what gives their flesh the distinctive taste and different textures from firm to mushy/watery depending on when you've guted, cleaned, and iced the meat.

Still I like how people deal with the lemony taste - add lemon cream sauce or squirts of lemon and lime, that'll surely cover it up. But maybe that's the best way to get around it.

Ya I think I will clean them as soon as i get it in the boat the next time I catch one.
It could be that nasty ink they spray all over the place that could be tainting the meat also?

JChoy

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 03:03:04 PM »
Yea, tell me how that goes, I'd be interested. I've held off on humboldt fishing since because of that sour taste - seems like waste even if those squid are a nuisance to our fish stocks. I thought we had the solution the second time we went, nope - still sour.

One way that did taste pretty good though was to basically make squid jerky out it. I soaked it in a very spicy teriyaki sauce for a couple of hours after cross hatching the crap out of the steak until it looked like one of those waffle french fries. Then I grilled it and basted with the same sauce it until it browned and "rubbery." It actually tasted pretty good that way, but the effort just wasn't worth it - I'd rather have grilled spicy teriyaki chicken or fish at that point.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt