collapse

Author Topic: Scallops okay to eat now?  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Scallops okay to eat now?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2018, 05:43:27 PM »
I was hoping you were going to drop them off for testing.

Offline Twid

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2018, 05:43:59 PM »
I survived! Pulled four scallops from north of Jenner and cleaned them really well. Fried and ate them last night with my brother. No side effects!
no side effects yet.

Offline Finsup

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2018, 09:14:39 PM »
It takes 48-72 hours for shellfish/demoic poisoning to take effect. This is why most places are wrongly blamed for bad sea food.   :o

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2018, 10:00:17 PM »
It takes 48-72 hours for shellfish/demoic poisoning to take effect. This is why most places are wrongly blamed for bad sea food.   :o

I don’t know about that. I think it makes you sick within minutes or up to a day depending on severity. Neurological symptoms may develop within 48 hours.

My dad was very sensitive to shellfish and would have a reaction within minutes.

Offline Finsup

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2018, 05:41:39 AM »
I was being sarcastic since he said he was doing well after 24 hours. If allergic, a reaction can occur immediately. If demoic acid poisoning Wikipedia says the following, "Gastrointestinal symptoms can appear 24 hours after ingestion of affected molluscs. They may include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal cramps and haemorrhagic gastritis. In more severe cases, neurological symptoms can take several hours or up to three days to develop." so he might have brain damage by now.  :o :'(

Offline JZumi

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2018, 07:29:05 AM »
I was being sarcastic since he said he was doing well after 24 hours. If allergic, a reaction can occur immediately. If demoic acid poisoning Wikipedia says the following, "Gastrointestinal symptoms can appear 24 hours after ingestion of affected molluscs. They may include vomiting, nausea, diarrhea, abdominal cramps and haemorrhagic gastritis. In more severe cases, neurological symptoms can take several hours or up to three days to develop." so he might have brain damage by now.  :o :'(

Current quarantine is due to PSP, not domoic acid.

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2018, 10:05:29 AM »
Still here and feeling fine. And yes, I believe this warning was due to PSP.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt