collapse

Author Topic: Yak advice  (Read 715 times)

Offline Finsup

Yak advice
« on: March 23, 2018, 06:00:08 PM »
Hi,

I've been looking into making the plunge and buying a yak. A couple questions...
1. Any particular kayak/length that stands out?
2. I have a Tacoma with 6.5 foot bed and a shell top. Can I transport in the back of the truck with the tailgate down and a red flag? Or do I have to drop another $500 on racks?

Any and all input will be much appreciated. I'd rather not invest in a bunch of stuff only to wish I bought something else afterwards. Thanks.

Offline SnailHunter

Re: Yak advice
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 07:26:23 PM »
A 14 ft kayak is a little heavier and harder to transport and carry.  But, it paddles faster (and paddles better in bad conditions [brand/model dependent]).  It would be my recomendation.

As for models, you should shop around.  Ocean Kayak trident and Wilderness Systems tarpon are owned by the majority of the people here.   Jackson has great kayaks but at a higher $$.

You probably want a rack.

My best advice is to try boats out, shops will have demo days or a rental option.  Its like cars, everyone has a favorite brand/model/color but you should figure out if you are a Ford guy before you accidentally buy a Chevy.

Hunt for deals on craigs list and look outside the bay area.  Try to get a full package, paddle, seat, cart, PFD if you can, that stuff can get pretty spendy.

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 07:45:50 PM »
I've got a trident 13 and been pretty happy with it. It has plenty of storage, paddles pretty easy, and I can get it off and on my truck easily.
Picked it up new, but a 2 year old model from a local shop and got a good deal. For racks, bought mine at Home Depot for less than half the price. Had to play around with different options for the cradle to hold it, but works.

Dive buddy has the foot powered hobie. Used it a couple of times. Much heavier and less storage. Plus is much more stable and the foot drive can really haul. Also much more expensive.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 08:40:07 PM »
If you are passionate about this sport like most of us are, your kayak and rack are going to be an investment that you won’t regret. The only thing you might regret is going cheap and then replacing your cheap gear with the quality gear that you should have bought in the first place.

Regarding racks, there are many systems out there that will work for you. What I can tell you is that at first I found kayaks to be a pain in the ass. Then I got to where I wouldn’t dive without my kayak. Now days, the only time I take it off the truck is to put it in the water. I carry it on the rack year round.

There are so many threads on this topic. There has been so much debate and differing opinions. Normally I don’t tell people to look it up on the old threads, but that’s what I’m going to suggest that you do. Educate yourself as best you can before you ask for advice and then make an informed decision.  Otherwise you are relying on what some second year expert regurgitates or what some old man clings to that is tried and true, but maybe not the best fit for you.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 09:16:45 PM »
A 14 ft kayak is a little heavier and harder to transport and carry.  But, it paddles faster (and paddles better in bad conditions [brand/model dependent]).  It would be my recomendation.

As for models, you should shop around.  Ocean Kayak trident and Wilderness Systems tarpon are owned by the majority of the people here.   Jackson has great kayaks but at a higher $$.

You probably want a rack.

My best advice is to try boats out, shops will have demo days or a rental option.  Its like cars, everyone has a favorite brand/model/color but you should figure out if you are a Ford guy before you accidentally buy a Chevy.

Hunt for deals on craigs list and look outside the bay area.  Try to get a full package, paddle, seat, cart, PFD if you can, that stuff can get pretty spendy.
Keep an eye out for deals on a kayak you like, ebay was a good option for me and someone else i know, i picked  up a 2016 trident ultra for 800 bucks.  Every person has a different brand/model that will fit them best.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline shaun614

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »
I bought a wilderness systems tarpon 160 (16 footer) from thomas from RTS and that yak is pretty stable and moves well with a decent amount of room. It is kind of heavy to Haul because of its length so if you could find something shorter and lighter I would recommend it since ideally you would probably be diving in decent conditions. Also investing in a kayak dolly is the way to go for ease of moving it around, I heard 'Wheeleez" is the way to go but bought a decent one on Amazon. I also recommend getting racks for your truck so that you can transport multiple yaks incase you decide to take someone with you that has one also. Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 10:37:14 AM by shaun614 »
"Wherever you go, there you are."

Offline DG

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2018, 06:45:55 AM »
If you don’t want to spend the extra money on racks then get a smaller kayak and you can easily transport it in the bed of your truck.  When I didn’t feel like loading my kayak on top of my truck I would put it in the bed diagonal and hang a red flag from it.  My kayak is only 11’ but my old one was 13’ and it worked.

Now I use a hullavator that has hydraulics in it which cuts the lift weight in half. 

Offline Seadog

• Josh T
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2018, 02:59:55 PM »
I wouldn't recommend putting a kayak 13ft+ hanging out the bed for long distances. Safer, more efficient, better visibility, and more confidence transporting a yak on the roof. Plus you need the space in the bed for your fish cooler, dive gear, camping gear, wet dog, etc!

I have the same truck, installed the Yakima Landing Pads on my shell along with Yakima towers and 48" crossbars. The landing pads screw directly into the camper shell and I can fit 2 Scupper Pros on the 48" bars (simply upside down on the crossbars). It's worked great for many trips up and down the coast form Mendo to SoCal. You can usually piece together Yakima parts pretty easily and inexpensively enough thru eBay or on CL. The cool thing about the landing pads is while they stay permanently installed on your shell, it allows you to pop off your roof rack when you don't need it.     

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 03:04:26 PM »
I wouldn't recommend putting a kayak 13ft+ hanging out the bed for long distances. Safer, more efficient, better visibility, and more confidence transporting a yak on the roof. Plus you need the space in the bed for your fish cooler, dive gear, camping gear, wet dog, etc!

I have the same truck, installed the Yakima Landing Pads on my shell along with Yakima towers and 48" crossbars. The landing pads screw directly into the camper shell and I can fit 2 Scupper Pros on the 48" bars (simply upside down on the crossbars). It's worked great for many trips up and down the coast form Mendo to SoCal. You can usually piece together Yakima parts pretty easily and inexpensively enough thru eBay or on CL. The cool thing about the landing pads is while they stay permanently installed on your shell, it allows you to pop off your roof rack when you don't need it.   

Agreed. I have the 60" yakima roundbars on my tundra shell and have taken three 16ft kayaks several times with 0 issues. Both on the J racks and strapped upside down with another yak strapped betwixt them. Not to mention keeping yaks out of your truck bed leaves a lot of room for storage or a place to sleep
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt