NorCal Underwater Hunters Discussion > Dive Sites

pigeon lighthouse diving?

<< < (2/3) > >>

DG:
Seems like you really want to dive there.  Sharks do go into shallows.  There are some places the sharks stay all year and some that the numbers increase during certain months.  It’s good to know if there is extra risk where you dive no matter what the risk is.  I can’t dive when I get the sharky feeling or see something eaten close by.  I am definitely not worried about sharks in clear water but in murky water that’s a different story. 

Road Runner:

--- Quote from: phil herranen on March 16, 2018, 07:03:27 PM ---It's a great place to dive but supper sharky , there have been a few hits there and at least one death . I've had the hunted feeling almost everytime I've dove there .  I told t maas that I dive there and he said I was nuts . If you try it don't go alone and make sure you tell somone where you are and when to expect you to check in when you are safely out

--- End quote ---

Good advice. I dove Pigeon Point once. Big blacks. Literally two weeks after I dove there this happened: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=34623.0

Read the entire thread.

Twid:

Ptown707:
Ano Nuevo is literally right next door which is a great white sushi bar, especially during the winter. Basically November thru March is feeding time due to the elephant seal population.  I’ve got a few buddies that are El Grenada/Half Moon Bay locals that regularly surf and fish the area and they say they see whites often, but then again who doesn’t like a good shark story.

phil herranen:

--- Quote from: Amsmosh on March 16, 2018, 09:02:53 PM ---
--- Quote from: charliec on March 16, 2018, 08:17:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: phil herranen on March 16, 2018, 07:03:27 PM ---It's a great place to dive but supper sharky , there have been a few hits there and at least one death . I've had the hunted feeling almost everytime I've dove there .  I told t maas that I dive there and he said I was nuts . If you try it don't go alone and make sure you tell somone where you are and when to expect you to check in when you are safely out

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the feed back!
Question: Even at 10-20 feet one risks shark encounter? I noticed there're lot of structures very close to the shore... within 100 feet of the coastline.

--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, most any depth that we can dive in, sharks can easily navigate in as well. So yes, you could potentially encounter one in 10-20 feet of water.

--- End quote ---

Most white shark hits on seals are just off the rocks , they hunt there becuse seals can outmanover them in open water but when they first jump in the water off the rocks they don't know what's waiting for them .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version