collapse

Author Topic: pigeon lighthouse diving?  (Read 1078 times)

Offline charliec

pigeon lighthouse diving?
« on: March 16, 2018, 04:48:19 PM »
So I understand there're WS at pigeon lighthouse... Yet I was wondering if it's safe to spearfish close to the shore?
C-

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
Re: pigeon lighthouse diving?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
Give it a try and let us know what you see.

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 07:03:27 PM »
It's a great place to dive but supper sharky , there have been a few hits there and at least one death . I've had the hunted feeling almost everytime I've dove there .  I told t maas that I dive there and he said I was nuts . If you try it don't go alone and make sure you tell somone where you are and when to expect you to check in when you are safely out

Offline charliec

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 08:17:59 PM »
It's a great place to dive but supper sharky , there have been a few hits there and at least one death . I've had the hunted feeling almost everytime I've dove there .  I told t maas that I dive there and he said I was nuts . If you try it don't go alone and make sure you tell somone where you are and when to expect you to check in when you are safely out

Thanks for the feed back!
Question: Even at 10-20 feet one risks shark encounter? I noticed there're lot of structures very close to the shore... within 100 feet of the coastline.

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 09:02:53 PM »

Question: Even at 10-20 feet one risks shark encounter? I noticed there're lot of structures very close to the shore... within 100 feet of the coastline.

Unfortunately, most any depth that we can dive in, sharks can easily navigate in as well. So yes, you could potentially encounter one in 10-20 feet of water.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline DG

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 09:05:07 PM »
Seems like you really want to dive there.  Sharks do go into shallows.  There are some places the sharks stay all year and some that the numbers increase during certain months.  It’s good to know if there is extra risk where you dive no matter what the risk is.  I can’t dive when I get the sharky feeling or see something eaten close by.  I am definitely not worried about sharks in clear water but in murky water that’s a different story. 

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 01:20:48 AM »

Good advice. I dove Pigeon Point once. Big blacks. Literally two weeks after I dove there this happened: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=34623.0

Read the entire thread.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 01:22:43 AM by Road Runner »

Offline Twid

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 08:02:24 AM »

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 08:58:14 AM »
Ano Nuevo is literally right next door which is a great white sushi bar, especially during the winter. Basically November thru March is feeding time due to the elephant seal population.  I’ve got a few buddies that are El Grenada/Half Moon Bay locals that regularly surf and fish the area and they say they see whites often, but then again who doesn’t like a good shark story.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 09:33:25 AM by Ianz415 »
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline phil herranen

• herranenspearguns
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 02:03:17 PM »

Unfortunately, most any depth that we can dive in, sharks can easily navigate in as well. So yes, you could potentially encounter one in 10-20 feet of water.

Most white shark hits on seals are just off the rocks , they hunt there becuse seals can outmanover them in open water but when they first jump in the water off the rocks they don't know what's waiting for them .

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2018, 11:09:32 PM »

I like to call the area close to the rocks “The kill zone”. The sharks get easy pickings when the seals/sea lions enter and exit the water. Oddly enough, when I started diving I always hung close to the rocks because I felt more secure. 

Offline tag

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2018, 07:24:18 AM »
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/

All the data you'll ever need related to "unprovoked shark attacks". Great maps and statistics of activities during the attacks.

Terry

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Terry Guerrero

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2018, 08:47:15 AM »
https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/shark-attacks/

All the data you'll ever need related to "unprovoked shark attacks". Great maps and statistics of activities during the attacks.

Terry

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Wow this is cool thanks for sharing!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt