collapse

Author Topic: Noob Equalization question  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Twid

Noob Equalization question
« on: March 16, 2018, 11:05:02 AM »
I'm new and I have a question, is ear equalize like popping your ears at high altitude?

rluiz

Re: Noob Equalization question
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2018, 12:00:12 PM »
I'm new and I have a question, is ear equalize like popping your ears at high altitude?
Yes it is. Pinch your nose, close your mouth and blow out, you should feel air release from your ears. Maybe a squeaking noise. The key to equalization is to do it often and don’t force it. I’ll do one before my dive and again every three kicks or so. If your ears aren’t equalizing easily abort the dive resurface and try again.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 12:56:11 PM »
It depends how you pop your ears at high altitudes. Can't really chew gum while diving. That said, wiggling your jaw a little and grunting slightly is a good way to equalize under water.

SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline the_derek

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2018, 02:59:29 PM »
Preforming a valsalva at high altitude is the opposite of what you want. High altitude is a decrease in pressure resulting in extra trapped air inside. Diving is an increase resulting in negative pressure that requires extra air added to it. At altitude jaw movement may open your Eustachian tubes. That’s the equivalent of what your ears go through on the way up, not down.

Whenever you’re going down with an increase in pressure you need to add air. Wiggling your jaws doesn’t do that. Hands free and frenzel you are forcing air in as well as opening your tubes.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Twid

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2018, 04:24:14 PM »
So plug my nose shut my mouth then try to exhale through my nose?

Offline DG

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2018, 04:31:20 PM »
So plug my nose shut my mouth then try to exhale through my nose?
That’s the easiest way to explain it.  Out of water it has the same feeling like on a plane.  It relieves the pressure wether it is positive or negative.  But like was already mentioned don’t blow hard.  Blow constantly, a little bit every few feet and if you feel pain in the ears don’t ever dive deeper.  You should get the hang of it fast unless you have ear issues. 

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2018, 05:04:56 PM »

Whenever you’re going down with an increase in pressure you need to add air. Wiggling your jaws doesn’t do that. Hands free and frenzel you are forcing air in as well as opening your tubes.
Can't clear mine hands free without the jaw wiggle.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 05:29:42 PM »

Yes

Offline Twid

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 06:35:32 PM »
Right on! Thank you all.

rluiz

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 11:06:14 AM »
Yes it is. Pinch your nose, close your mouth and blow out, you should feel air release from your ears. Maybe a squeaking noise. The key to equalization is to do it often and don’t force it. I’ll do one before my dive and again every three kicks or so. If your ears aren’t equalizing easily abort the dive resurface and try again.

Notice the word like and not the same thing.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:33:52 AM by Sir Rob IV »

Offline the_derek

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 10:11:01 PM »

The only similarities is an inequality in pressure on both sides. You don’t valsalva at high altitude. So I guess if you are ignoring it’s the exact opposite in every way except there being an unequal pressure, then sure, it’s “like” it.

Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

rluiz

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 07:31:39 PM »

To a new diver it is the same thing mr techinical. You feel pressure and you close your mouth and nose and blow out.

The only similarities is an inequality in pressure on both sides. You don’t valsalva at high altitude. So I guess if you are ignoring it’s the exact opposite in every way except there being an unequal pressure, then sure, it’s “like” it.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2018, 10:37:33 PM »
Regardless of higher or lower external pressure the mechanism to equalize the ears is identical. The Eustachian tubes must be opened. That is done by valsalva, frenzel, vto, wiggling the jaw, chewing gum...  it doesn’t matter. Once the tubes open the pressure will equalize.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2018, 12:23:33 AM »
Valsalva and frenzel do the same thing. Air is forced into the throat either from forcing it from the lungs (valsalva) or by compression from the Adam’s apple (frenzel) which expand the throat tissues and allow the Eustachian tubes to open, just like in Vto. How many psi do you think you actually generate performing valsalva? 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2018, 01:18:49 AM »
By blowing you can only generate about 15psi. Your tube openings are 1/8” x 2. So, 1/4” x 15 = 3.75 psi. If you rupture your ears by blowing too hard you are really pushing too hard and sustaining the pressure too long. I actually believe that you can generate more force using the frenzel.

But back to doing the valsalva at altitude, the pressure doesn’t go into the tubes and remain there. The tympanic membrane flexes and returns to neutral as the pressure is released and the ear is equalized.

As for my sources, it’s me. I’ve done it with no harmful effects, many times. Of course DAN is going to be very conservative because they sell insurance and they aren’t going to take on the liability by giving any advice that some random idiot will be able to use against them.

By the way, how are your perforated ears that you continued to dive with while disregarding the advice of EVERYONE? 

;)

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt