collapse

Author Topic: Sheephead  (Read 880 times)

Offline apeaenlightened

Sheephead
« on: March 12, 2018, 08:27:50 AM »
Supp guys been after this fish as I have not yet shot one. I have seen three in the past 3 dives, one each dive looks like I only get one shot lol and I end up messing up. any advice on how to draw the fish in? I have a couple things I’m doin already. But would love some advice and different thoughts. also a red which I’ve only seen one and it was at the end of my breath hold. Not sure if these are sign I should ease off the deeper part of the water n continue to hunt 30-40 instead of 40-50.
Thanks in advance guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline apeaenlightened

Re: Sheephead
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:16:35 AM »
Also guys keep in mind I’m aware sheeps head eat sea urchin and there fore we shouldn’t be killing them off. I just want one so I can feel satisfied and taste what people say is the best tasting fish we have in our waters.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 09:20:53 AM »
Also guys keep in mind I’m aware sheeps head eat sea urchin and there fore we shouldn’t be killing them off. I just want one so I can feel satisfied and taste what people say is the best tasting fish we have in our waters.

best tasting fish... 

Have you had perch yet?
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2018, 09:21:40 AM »
Yessir when I go surf fishing

Offline ryang85

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2018, 05:23:28 PM »

best tasting fish... 

Have you had perch yet?
I thought the same thing until i shot a sheep. Perch are a luxury to eat compared to any wrasse.  But that's only my opinion and some people love them raw.
I havnt shot many sheep, but my advise is with any fish that does come close is to get a bigger gun if possible. I use my pathos 115 sniper( basicaly a 120 pipe gun.) when i go south and have no problem moving it around the kelp,  it was usefull for a few other fish down there as well. But i did pass on 2 smaller verms because i didnt want to trash the shaft in a hole so that is the biggest downside.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 06:02:58 PM »
I was in central cal ryang but my gun was hella too small. I think I was using my gf 65 sniper I normally use a 75 sniper, I feel it does well in NorCal. For so Cali I completely see your point on using a bigger gun.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 07:41:56 PM »
I was in central cal ryang but my gun was hella too small. I think I was using my gf 65 sniper I normally use a 75 sniper, I feel it does well in NorCal. For so Cali I completely see your point on using a bigger gun.

When i mean south i mean cencal.  My 115 is way overkill but It gets job done.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2018, 07:54:22 PM »
Ah i see, well yeah thanks man I’ll def use my 75 next time and I guess I’ll find out if surf perch is the way to go soon

Online DG

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 06:12:17 AM »
Perch suck.  More for you guys I guess. 

Only advice is get out more and chill.  You don’t have to dive deep for sheep.  But slow your movements and they may just come and check you out. 

I have not made a lot of CenCal trips but definitely would have had more longer shots with my longer gun but think my 75 was the longest I tried.  And I have missed plenty that were just out of range. 

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 07:59:29 AM »
Thanks DG I have to practice some callings and technics that’s I’ve been studying and learning and I was definitely calm I made the mistake of getting off a shot due to shortness of oxygen. I’ll definitely practice my free fall a bit better and to remain calm.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 09:15:19 AM »
Perch suck.  More for you guys I guess. 

Perch.... what.... SO yummy... pretty sure it tastes just like lobster... and with the amount of meat on them, you only really need one.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Online DG

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 09:56:01 AM »
I will make sure I shoot a bunch and save them for you.  You could probably get a meal out of ten of them. 

Offline the_derek

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 10:41:03 AM »
I will make sure I shoot a bunch and save them for you.  You could probably get a meal out of ten of them. 

lol

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Online DG

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 11:02:30 AM »
You guys are weird. Greenling meat is far better
I forgot I have some greenling I have been saving for you.  It’s great to have a network of fish eaters who like the shit I don’t. 

Offline the_derek

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 11:09:33 AM »
You guys are weird. Greenling meat is far better

dude... now that you mention it... I think you might be correct.

I love how firm the meat is, and how clean the fillets come out, almost no bones at all...

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt