collapse

Author Topic: Float or kui?  (Read 7848 times)

rluiz

Re: Float or kui?
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2018, 09:24:13 AM »
They both have pros and cons. I hate getting caught up on a float line, with my fins or around some structure. But if the vis is less than 10' I will use always use a float line. It can help you mark a dive spot, which you can use to help you re find the location of that big ling or just to remember your last dive location.

Offline TimBekk

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2018, 09:01:01 AM »
So having a reel with the hope of not using a float line makes sense to me. If one always uses a float line I don't see benefit of a reel.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2018, 10:49:33 AM »
So having a reel with the hope of not using a float line makes sense to me. If one always uses a float line I don't see benefit of a reel.

I use both, I have had some shots deep in a hole and had my shaft get stuck in the back. with the reel, I just pull the gun to the surface and let it chill up there and try to work the shaft ( ;) ). In kelp the shooting line is much nicer then a float line, I still like the float line to mark holes or find my gun when I drop it. 
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2018, 12:34:35 PM »
Here on the north coast a float line is best. You can always mark a spot, get a second gun, grab a scallop or just drop the gun. A float line is the best tool for your gun.

In situations like heavy kelp, back up guns, quick drops to check a spot or the freedom to not drag a float line, a reel is essential to allow you to take a shot and surface without dropping your gun if the shaft is stuck or the fish is holed up or if you just need air. Reels are probably the best tool for halibut, but you’d have to consult a halibut hunter.

For some pelagic fish they can be used in conjunction with a break away and a float to fight bigger fish. But these are bigger guns.  Back to NorCal...

It has been my observation that most guys begin using a float line then as they improve they add a reel, but almost always continue to use a float line.  So in most cases a reel isn’t necessary, but it can be useful and it adds weight to help hold the gun to the bottom to mark a spot. It’s expensive for a weight but most guys are gear whores.

If you are considering a reel, look at all of your gear and see what you would like to upgrade that might be a better improvement than a reel. It’s probably the last thing I would spend my money on. I only have them on about 1/3 of my guns.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2018, 09:30:58 AM »
Here on the north coast a float line is best. You can always mark a spot, get a second gun, grab a scallop or just drop the gun. A float line is the best tool for your gun.

In situations like heavy kelp, back up guns, quick drops to check a spot or the freedom to not drag a float line, a reel is essential to allow you to take a shot and surface without dropping your gun if the shaft is stuck or the fish is holed up or if you just need air. Reels are probably the best tool for halibut, but you’d have to consult a halibut hunter.

For some pelagic fish they can be used in conjunction with a break away and a float to fight bigger fish. But these are bigger guns.  Back to NorCal...

It has been my observation that most guys begin using a float line then as they improve they add a reel, but almost always continue to use a float line.  So in most cases a reel isn’t necessary, but it can be useful and it adds weight to help hold the gun to the bottom to mark a spot. It’s expensive for a weight but most guys are gear whores.

If you are considering a reel, look at all of your gear and see what you would like to upgrade that might be a better improvement than a reel. It’s probably the last thing I would spend my money on. I only have them on about 1/3 of my guns.

spot on rob... as always

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2018, 12:18:23 PM »
The only diving I've personally done here where I would consider a reel almost necessary is diving in the surf for stripers...

Having a floatline get pushed and pulled in the crashing waves sucks...

And having the line drag behind you can create problems for guys that may be surf casting the same stretch of beach...

Besides that I agree with Rob's analysis.

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline John

« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2018, 01:01:25 PM »
I always keep a float line attached to anything I don't want to lose; my gun, ab iron, daughter. ..whatever.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2018, 04:37:54 PM »
I always keep a float line attached to anything I don't want to lose; my gun, ab iron, daughter. ..whatever.

For the most part, so do I. I have lost floatlines and spent a lot of time, swimming and paddling to find them. Anytime the sun is casting a bright sheen on the water especially when there is a small surface chop, they can be easy to lose, not to mention if they are drifting.

This is where you can consider colors. Red and yellow have good contrast on the surface but Red loses color at depth which may spook the fish less. White pops the best under water. Yellow gets lost in the kelp, but it’s easy to spot on the surface.

I prefer white, but since I’ve had problems finding it on the surface at times, so I added a 6” foam float and put a small tuna clip on the end to secure the float. Just that added height floating on the surface makes it easy to spot, and the 6” float will keep a gun with a reel floating on the surface.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2018, 07:37:34 PM »
I recently added   a few stick on tire weights to my pathos to keep it from drifting away, without those weights my gun would hover 5 feet off the bottom in more than 30 feet of water

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline lawtalkingguy

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2018, 10:35:46 AM »
There's no fuking way I'm stringing a bleeding fish onto my hip in the middle of the Red Triangle, and no fuking way I'm clipping extra snag points to myself while diving in kelpy, surgy rock holes.  Float all the way.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2018, 10:40:29 PM »
There's no fuking way I'm stringing a bleeding fish onto my hip in the middle of the Red Triangle, and no fuking way I'm clipping extra snag points to myself while diving in kelpy, surgy rock holes.  Float all the way.

Why not, are you scared of sea lions?

Offline the_derek

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2018, 09:14:09 AM »

I string all my fish off my belt. then drop them back off once at float or yak.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline lawtalkingguy

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2018, 08:06:41 AM »

Of course.  They get frisky.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt