collapse

Author Topic: 2018 NCUH meet and Greet camp out & first official purple urchin removal event  (Read 13263 times)

Offline SnailHunter

It was a fun time, thanks to Josh and Matt for organizing.  Also big thanks to Ocean Cove Campground for waiving day use and launch fees for the event. 

I'm going to work on fabricating a couple urchin crusher/blenders.  Liquefying and decanting the urchin seemed to be the biggest choke point.

Offline Twid

Super awesome event. Myself and my buddies showed up having never dove in the ocean or really met any other divers before this. Was super cool to see everyone coming together as a community and we had an incredible time. We were a bit worried being the young inexperienced guys, so thanks to everyone that met and talked with us, cooked us food, and let us roast mallows around the campfire. Those were definitely the highlights. We didn't get as much urchin as we saw some guys pulling out, but I am glad to have helped out in any way we could, and as Josh and Matt were saying, just show support by showing up. Anyone in the Sacramento area, I would love to keep learning about diving and spearfishing! If you think you have the patience to help out please give me a message!

Thanks again guys, see you at the next one!

I hade a blast talking to you young men when roasting them mellows. How was your polar bear plunge?

Piece
 Steven

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Norcal Underwater Hunters Purple urchin removal Raffle Fundraiser & Watermens Alliance Recreational Urchin Removal Dive
All I can say is WOW what an awesome event!!!!! Thank you to all who came out and attended and dived or helped or just enjoyed the event. The outpouring and support from everyone with this event was just awesome! It was truly historic to see the entire dive community come together, we had spear fishermen, abalone divers, scuba divers, research divers and video/ Photography divers basically every aspect or group of diving and various dive clubs all came together for this event! A little recap of the event on Saturday we had about 100 divers participating in the urchin dive and another big group of helper\'s top side either paddling kayaks or crushing urchins once upon shore. The ocean conditions were challenging and sporty!! Hats off to all those who fought it and got after those purple urchins. DFW was there gathering data from the diver\'s urchin collection bags as they came in. Then for the Raffle just wow what an amazing prize table I cannot thank the Companies and individuals that donated to make the prize table what it was if I had to guess there had to be about $15,000 worth of prizes. There were easily over 250 people in attendance at the raffle. From the Raffle Ticket sales we were able to raise $13,645 dollars that was donated to Sonoma County Abalone Network that will pay for the commercial urchin divers to remove urchins on the sonoma coast which should start in the next week or so. Then on Sunday Day 2 of the urchin removal dive we had about another 40-50 divers working and removing urchins in the cove which I was able to take part in and did my part of 10 full bags. Over the 2 days the recreational divers removed roughly 56,000 urchins and estimated 7,000 pounds in those 2 days. So a huge success! I cannot thank you enough to all who supported this event, I also want to thank Manaro Famly of Ocean Cove Campground for all there help and support for this event. I also want to thank the Alameda Dive team for coming out and supporting the event and bringing their dive rig and compressor and filled tanks all day Saturday for us.

You tube video & slide show of the Norcal Underwater Hunters Raffle and Watermens Alliance Recreational Urchin Removal dive
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
 another little update from this weekends Purple urchin removal dive. Word has it from the sampling this weekend from the Purple Urchin removal event DFW biologist confirmed that the purple urchins that we sampled this weekend were in poor reproductive condition and were primarily eating calcified algal species.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Ianz415

Pretty bummed I missed this event I saw some pictures my friends took that went, it looked awesome. I spent the weekend in Kauai with overcast skies and cool weather. I hope to make it to the next event.
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline TheKeeneroo

• There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Simmer down guys.  To fragile these days. 

I know that past meet and greets have included quick intros and maybe even someone with some experience giving some advice to the new guys.  That seems like a reasonable expectation and is actually expected by some. 

With the meet and greet turning into a dive event and raffle seems like it had the potential to keep the organizers super busy. 

Looking from the outside this just looks silly and childish with the back and forth.  Sounds like this guy wanted to explain over the phone and not make it worse.  The quickest way to lose members is to keep crap like this going.

Well said, amigo! Sounds like we all need some water therapy!

Twid. HMU. I'll show you the ropes in Monterey this weekend! Although conditions might suck, I'm still getting wet!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo
Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx

Offline Twid

Thank you guys.

Offline ryang85

About 10 of us standing around a campfire with one drunk guy asking about sharks.

Isnt that the highlight of every dive event.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator

About 10 of us standing around a campfire with one drunk guy asking about sharks.

I don\'t think it\'s the highlight, but I\'ll tell you this, it\'s a helluva good way to clear out a campfire of abalone divers.

Offline MinnowHunter

• I like the rub. Feel the burn
What about the sharks though?  :o

Offline the_derek

I don\'t think it\'s the highlight, but I\'ll tell you this, it\'s a helluva good way to clear out a campfire of abalone divers.

Wait..... there's sharks?
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator

The easiest way to find out if there are sharks is to taste the water. If it tastes salty, there are sharks.

Offline ryang85

The easiest way to find out if there are sharks is to taste the water. If it tastes salty, there are sharks.
Test your toilet water, a friend told me it passed the shark test sometimes.

Offline Sir Rob IV

Test your toilet water, a friend told me it passed the shark test sometimes.

LOL

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt