collapse

Author Topic: Scuba Buddy turned me on to this App - Windy  (Read 1014 times)

Offline Creatura

Scuba Buddy turned me on to this App - Windy
« on: February 26, 2018, 01:29:46 PM »
https://www.windy.com/

Very cool for trying to plan out your dive spots in real time.  Best of all, it's free.
Shows Wind/Swells/Ect.  Links to live video streams.  No affiliation, just found it useful. Enjoy

Offline DG

Re: Scuba Buddy turned me on to this App - Windy
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 08:20:09 PM »
Looks like the asteroids hitting Ft bragg. 

Offline the_derek

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 09:05:27 AM »
Looks like the asteroids hitting Ft bragg. 

haha
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline lawtalkingguy

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »
Windy is great.  Make sure when your planned dive is within three days to switch the model from the ECMWS or GFS to the smaller-radius NAM or NEMS models - they're more accurate, but don't have the same forecast range.  I found the old NAM 3km model to be the most accurate for the North Coast - they recently replaced it with NAM 5km and NEMS 4km models, both of which also seem pretty on.

Offline DG

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »
Windy is great.  Make sure when your planned dive is within three days to switch the model from the ECMWS or GFS to the smaller-radius NAM or NEMS models - they're more accurate, but don't have the same forecast range.  I found the old NAM 3km model to be the most accurate for the North Coast - they recently replaced it with NAM 5km and NEMS 4km models, both of which also seem pretty on.
Thanks for the info.  Maybe I am doing it wrong.  Just checked Ft bragg for the week and it showed a red color which is between 30-40 knots. 

Offline lawtalkingguy

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 10:51:35 AM »
That squares somewhat with other models, all of which show a low pressure system moving over the North Coast with 20+ kt S turning W winds and heavy gusts W-Th night.

Note that if you click on the NAM 5km button, it only shows you three days of forecast - the rest is GFS 22km.  Look at the slider bar for forecast day - it stops 57 hours out.

Offline DG

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 11:22:06 AM »
That squares somewhat with other models, all of which show a low pressure system moving over the North Coast with 20+ kt S turning W winds and heavy gusts W-Th night.

Note that if you click on the NAM 5km button, it only shows you three days of forecast - the rest is GFS 22km.  Look at the slider bar for forecast day - it stops 57 hours out.
I modified the options and it still showed the red color even though we don’t have heavy winds right now.  Will look a little more later. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt