collapse

Author Topic: Sports Tube Series 2 and 3  (Read 1204 times)

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
Sports Tube Series 2 and 3
« on: February 21, 2018, 06:12:50 PM »
Going to Mexico on Southwest airlines and was wondering if anyone has brought a series 2 or 3 sports tube on them. I want to know if you get charged the 75 dollar oversize fee? The rep on the phone said I probably would but she wasn't positive.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline DG

Re: Sports Tube Series 2 and 3
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:47:16 PM »
Just borrow a plane from work and take a bunch of us with you. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2018, 08:00:38 PM »

Haha, I'll ask the Chief Pilot.  I can guarantee the baggage fees will be will still apply though.

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2018, 10:00:39 PM »
I brought a series 3 on southwest and did not pay. However my flight was domestic, not sure what the rules are for international.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 10:44:51 PM »
I brought a series 3 on southwest and did not pay. However my flight was domestic, not sure what the rules are for international.
Did they give you any trouble either direction? Did you have to keep it under 50lbs?

Offline Tez

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2018, 01:36:20 AM »

+1  ;D

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2018, 09:44:37 AM »
Did they give you any trouble either direction? Did you have to keep it under 50lbs?

No trouble at all, just needed to be under 50. They might ask what it is, I always say 'fishing gear'

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2018, 11:14:51 AM »

No trouble at all, just needed to be under 50. They might ask what it is, I always say 'fishing gear'
Perfect, thanks Jake!

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2018, 09:57:25 PM »
I'd double check with your airline. They are constantly changing their rules of what you can bring and what you will be charged for. Usually the airline website has a luggage regulation link you can click on if you can find it. In the past if you claim it as sports gear they allowed slightly larger bags to be checked in as regular bags without the added fee.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2018, 03:18:16 AM »
I'd double check with your airline. They are constantly changing their rules of what you can bring and what you will be charged for. Usually the airline website has a luggage regulation link you can click on if you can find it. In the past if you claim it as sports gear they allowed slightly larger bags to be checked in as regular bags without the added fee.
I checked on line and called. I got a maybe maybe not. So I'll be ready to to pay.

Offline makemwearit

• Aquaholic
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2018, 04:28:58 AM »
It all depends on the weight and size restrictions.  If you're under 50 lbs and 62in in greatest length, you should be in the clear.  51lbs+ and anything between 62-80" and I believe you'll get hit with the Oversized charge.
apneaddict
FII Level 1 Freediver

Offline 123ENGINEERING

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2018, 07:00:03 AM »
Hi Joe

You might want to do curb-side check-in, if available.  They tend to be less restrictive with baggage charge rules.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2018, 08:32:48 AM »
Hi Joe

You might want to do curb-side check-in, if available.  They tend to be less restrictive with baggage charge rules.

+1 on curbside checkin...

What I do is have some money for a tip folded up in my hand and visible when checking in with them...

Even when a bag has weighed over 50 they have not charged me... ;)

Worth a shot at least.

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2018, 10:57:15 AM »
All the airlines I have used calculate oversized baggage fees based on dimensional weight if the bag is under 50lbs. Calculate dimensional weight the same way you calculate area, LxHxW. Even the fully closed size of Yanez sport tube II exceeds The dimensional weight of all airlines I have used. However, some airlines have exceptions for golf bags or fishing gear. I would definitely tell them that it is fishing gear rather than spearfishing gear.

Anyway, all of this information is available to you online under baggage policies on the airlines website. The reason you probably won’t get a straight answer is because whenever your baggage falls into that grey area, it’s going to depend on the person checking your bag. The best thing you can do is read the policy and find your loophole, and be ready to pay. And definitely use the curb check in if available.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
Thanks for all the great advise everyone. It is definitely a gray area for SWA. Unfortunately its an international flight so I can't use curb side check in. Sounds like most people get away with the charge. I'll keep my fingers crossed but definitely be ready to pay. Working for an airline and dealing with them everyday I know how flexible policies can be for good or bad.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt