collapse

Author Topic: March Baja trip  (Read 3080 times)

Offline ryang85

Re: March Baja trip
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2018, 10:51:16 PM »
Figured I'd give an update on the trip now im back home in the rain and fog.
The trip started off smoothly with my sporttube 3 getting down there with no oversize charge and all the guns intact. Rented a minivan and arrived at the house just in time for an evening dive to collect some parrotfish and golden trevally for dinner. 
Woke up the next morning the sunrise over the sea of cortez and headed up to punta pescadero for an early start. Within 20 minutes of getting in the water i was swarmed by sierra that seemed to never come within 20 feet of me. Finally I enticed one in with my throw flasher.  Was pretty stoked to land my first sierra and even more excited to eat it.

Shorty after i was going around a wash rock in 7 feet of water and watched a big 15 pound grouper burst out of the rocks and into the blue, i tried to shoot but only sent my spear directly into the rocks.

Joe and Jake arrived that afternoon right as the wind started too pick up, we all jumped in right before dark to just test out gear. After about 10 minutes into the dive I saw a bunch of shiny fish around me but could make out was it was do too poor vis and low light, then i saw glimpse of yellow start to dance behind the flashes, i relized it was yellowtail but didnt have enough time to line up a shot before they were gone. Both Joe and Jake had similar expiriences and no one got a spear in the fish.

Woke up the next morning and headed north to a shore dive spot i found on google maps, what i didnt see on google maps was the gate that blocked the dirt road to the beach. So we ended up finding a spot and jumping in, and didnt see a shootable fish all day. At least we had left over sierra for dinner.
The next day we went out on a charter for wahoo. After an exciting drive down the wrong way on a few one way streets we arrived and headed out. 
The wind had picked up limmiting us pretty close to the harbor.  Didnt take long before a nice bull dorado came into my throw flasher and claimed the first trigger pull of my bluewater roller.

Shortly after that i did a drop to about 65 feet and as i was laying on the bottom i saw a few sierra cruise by so i picked off the closest one.

Then after 2 houres of fishlessness the excitement started. Within minutes of resseting the drift I had a wahoo come check me out, I tried my best stay still and not look too much but he managed to stay just on the edge of my range and i decided to not pull the trigger. (  which i probably should have.)

We all had opportunities but couldn't land a wahoo, the fish were smart and we were all using guns that we have never shot before so it made things a little difficult. Jake picked up a nice cow dorado and we headed in.

The next day we planned on getting a panga but woke up to houling wind and a great loss of motivation from previous day in the water. So we took a drive and made the determination that we would be better off stopping by the tomale stand in downtown Los barriles instead of dealing with muddy rough waters by punta pescadero. Got back home and did a shore dive in front of the house and landed the biggest Sierra of the trip on a stone shot.

Woke up to a glassy flat morning and bait working up and down the beach. Unfortunately for Joe and Jake they were getting ready to head off to their flight, i could see the pain in there eyes as i geared up and got in the water, unknowing of what the calm day could bring. Unfortunately i didnt change my go pro batteries so i would miss out on the videos.
Within 5 minutes of kicking out to the bait i saw 3 yellow tail fly by me and I didnt even have time to react. Then immediately after I saw some bait working and kicked that way, on guard with my gun up and ready to go I approached the bait and saw a small rooster crossing my vision. I passed on the rooster in search of the yellowtail.  As i kicked to the next bait ball I see a flash of green out of the corner of my eye and relize a small bull dorado is swimming right along my fins. I  splin around and compleatly miss a point blank shot and the dorado slowly cruises away while i watch in pain. The rest of the trip the thought of landing a dorado in 10 feet of water right off the back porch of the house both haunted and motivated me. I spent the next  6 hours of the day in the water and only got a small sierra to show for it. 

The second to last day conditions were equally as ideal except the bait was non existent. I tried some locations for grouper and came up empty handed for the  day except for 2 mid sized sierra.

As i woke up to my final morning in baja I opened the blinds and immediately was impressed by the amount of bait on the shore. I started packing my gear and saw large fish getting airborn in the bait. I walked out on the back yard and at first thought it was bonito and sort of shrugged it off in slight pain. Then I watched a 20 pound yellow tail leap fully into the air and reliezed all of those fish were yellow tail right off the beach. With limited time I grabbed my gun and frantically found my mask and floatline out of my carry on bag, I sprinted tword the beach and  jumped in without a wetsuit.  By the time I jumped in the water a panga had seen the birds and fish and slow trolled right over the school hooking up 2  medium sized yellowtail and spooking the rest away. I kicked out and saw nothing and returned to packing. Within 20  minutes the fish were back but the sport tube was packed beyond the point of no return.  We left the house watching the yellowtail and devil rays in full breach right off the beach.
Overall I had a lot of opportunity to shoot fish. I missed and didn't close the distance on a few nice fish but am still new to the baja game with big guns and clear water. Not many places you can wake up  to the  ocean sunrise every morning and watch the devil rays and yellowtail jumping from your bedroom. Even though we didn't nail the fish like we had planned we still all made the best out of every day we had and kept things positive and had a good time. I am defiantly motivated for another baja trip in the future.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:08:59 PM by ryang85 »

Offline DG

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2018, 11:34:27 PM »
Sounds like a fun trip.  Glad your new gun got some action. 

Offline TimBekk

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2018, 11:43:41 PM »
Wow, you really got into some fish, and I am amazed at the quality of fish right out your door. We were in La Ventana the week before. Shot alot of little stuff for meals. Did end up with a couple small pargo and a grouper. I had never had Pargo, but it is my new favorite. Two guys in our group saw yellow tail, but  no shots at yellow tail. This was my first trip down there, I hope to get alot more practice in SoCal before my next trip that far south.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2018, 12:01:39 AM by TimBekk »

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2018, 10:23:59 AM »
Nice work Ryan! Way to stick it out there even after you missed a big fish. seems like you got a good experience run and will do great the next time with the knowledge you gained.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2018, 03:01:08 PM »
Ya, nice job Ryan. Without you we would of starved. Lol
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline 123ENGINEERING

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2018, 05:58:54 PM »
Hi Ryan
Sounds like you had great trip.
Hope to get more details when we  get together next time.

Offline naturalSelection

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
nice write up Ryan! And good handy work with all those sierras.

I Had a blast and hope to get in on the next trip. I think we've all got Unfinished Business in Baja.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2018, 02:15:00 AM »
I think we've all got Unfinished Business in Baja.
So close!
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline ryang85

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
nice write up Ryan! And good handy work with all those sierras.

I Had a blast and hope to get in on the next trip. I think we've all got Unfinished Business in Baja.
Yea im already feeling due for another trip,  haha to bad my schedule and bank acount say different

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 03:08:57 PM by ryang85 »

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2018, 09:38:06 AM »
Ok..... reading this.... im excited as shit cuz im going in may to pay my taxes..... i do hope that the wind dies down though...... the kite boarders scare me.....but i do hope the dorado are still there..... were you in the last house on the beach? If so probably Hanks place..... he said they were moving to Medford. Not going with anyone this trip so if anybody has time in May, let me know..... thanks

Offline ryang85

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2018, 10:04:19 AM »
Ok..... reading this.... im excited as shit cuz im going in may to pay my taxes..... i do hope that the wind dies down though...... the kite boarders scare me.....but i do hope the dorado are still there..... were you in the last house on the beach? If so probably Hanks place..... he said they were moving to Medford. Not going with anyone this trip so if anybody has time in May, let me know..... thanks
I think you should be fine in may,  march is the windiest month from what i hear. and even when its houling it is still doable in front of your house, we were like 100 yards south of you in the yellow house with the pool . And i spent 90% of my time working up and down the beach where the rocks turn to sand in 20feet of water. Just keep and eye out for jumping bait at first light.  I found a decent  looking grouper spot with good structure that i can send you a picture of a few miles up the road if you want to check it out. 

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2018, 10:46:22 AM »
Sweet... anytime in may works..... would be nice if a couple others came to split the panga costs...... but we could just shore dive too..... oh and theres always that inflatable kayak for you haha

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2018, 12:40:30 PM »
If anybody is planning a trip mid June - mid Aug let me know.  Would be up for an "el cheapo" trip during these months.

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
Sweet... anytime in may works..... would be nice if a couple others came to split the panga costs...... but we could just shore dive too..... oh and theres always that inflatable kayak for you haha

I think I’d rather paddle around on a floating outhouse door from Bakersfield.

How is the weather a tu casa en Mayo.
[/qui think hit or miss..... but i have to pay Lupe for fixing mi cerces!!! Jajaote]

Offline ryang85

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2018, 07:38:22 PM »

I think I’d rather paddle around on a floating outhouse door from Bakersfield.

How is the weather a tu casa en Mayo.
[/qui think hit or miss..... but i have to pay Lupe for fixing mi cerces!!! Jajaote]
esas cerca son de primera calidad para baja
Jajaja

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt