collapse

Author Topic: GoPro 6 and Green Water Filter  (Read 860 times)

Offline DG

GoPro 6 and Green Water Filter
« on: March 20, 2018, 03:08:20 PM »
So I finally got tired of not being able to take videos on a dive and got a new GoPro 6.  I was all excited to give it a try and then realized they stopped including the underwater housing with the new camera.  So couldn’t use it on my last dive and had to order a new housing.  The housing I picked has an option for a color filter that’s supposed to help in green water so I ordered one to try. 

Has anyone used these filters and did you notice a difference.

I also was interested in what the best settings have been on the 6.  It can go up to 240 fps but you can’t use the stabilization option at that frame rate.  Not sure I need the 4K option as I would like more FPS so I can screen grab or slow mo the videos.  So was thinking regular 1080 HD would work. 

Just seeing what others have decided to use and why. 

Hopefully I don’t lose this one as I have had some bad luck over the years. 

Offline ryang85

Re: GoPro 6 and Green Water Filter
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 04:53:48 PM »
Ive never wanted to use a filter because if it looks good at a certain depth it won't at another, such as shallow or on the surface. You can always color correct on a computer, but I don't think you can undo the filter.
I agree on just color correcting and no filter, also i shoot at 24fps at 1440p, most computer screens arnt over 1080 so you could probably just stick with that

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 04:54:12 PM »
I think Chaeki used one years ago. You could look up his old posts.

Offline DG

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 05:01:46 PM »
Thanks

Found one on sale so will just try the filter and see if it helps.   Yeah there are a lot of color corrections for editing software and internet programs but usually I just use what ever the camera captures it at.

Offline DG

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 05:04:25 PM »
I think I may try 1080hd at 120 FPS and see if the image stabilization makes a difference.   

Offline Finsup

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
Filters are mostly intended for SCUBA divers who know what depth they will be taking pics at and will be staying at a specific depth range for prolonged periods. Traditional red filters aren't much good until you're at least 40 feet deep because natural light penetates that far. If you use lights you also can't use a filter.

So for what my 2 cents are worth, the gopro 6 has amazing built in color correction and optics which make filters for freediving totally unnecessary. I have also found that I get pretty good video with no lights even in Monterey conditions. Running 1080 w 120fps should give you some great video. But photo/video are like politics, everyone has an opinion.

Offline Tez

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 07:00:00 PM »
Running 1080 w 120fps should give you some great video.

+1 on those settings for most stuff (with my Hero 4 silver).  120 fps looks pretty good at 50% play rate for slo-mo.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt