collapse

Author Topic: Moving to Mendocino  (Read 1417 times)

Offline CaExplorer

Moving to Mendocino
« on: January 22, 2018, 08:41:46 PM »
Wow. It's actually happening, we're moving to Mendocino. After years of looking for land and dreaming about moving to the North coast, everything seems to be falling into place and we're actually moving at the beginning of March. Looking forward to a new life and more opportunities to dive.

A little background: I've lived in the Bay Area my whole life. Love the weather and the available work, but the cost of living keeps going up as do the apartment complexes. Quiet areas I once enjoyed solitude at are now increasingly devoloped and packed with people. Single family homes where we've been living are now renting for 3.5-4k a month. We spend most weekends traveling North,  it's time to try something new. I've almost bought land in Timber cove and Gualala in the past before I had my son, but now want to settle down in the town of Mendocino due to their schools and the community we've grown to love.

The reason for the post is to try and connect with people already living, working and raising families in the area. We are looking at the small town of Mendocino, but may rent in Fort Bragg until we find a property to purchase. I'm particularly interested in how you guys are making a living. I'm a landscape contractor (have my C-27 and working on a arborist certification) and will be keeping my maintenance team operational untill I can either start a new business or find work. Seems there is abundant tree work, but I've always been interested in carpentry if I could find an apprenticeship. I'm 33 only getting older and have the energy to start over now.

Feel free to direct message me or call. My # is 650-269-1675 or chrispmetcalfe@gmail.com.

Cheers,
Chris
Right now, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

Offline CaExplorer

Re: Moving to Mendocino
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 07:32:14 AM »
Will do. After watching your year in review vid,  I could imagine you'll be in the area a little more often... possibly lol. That looked like a damn good one by the way.

Used your acid wash technique to clean up a few of my shells a while back. Thanks.

Offline DG

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 08:09:08 AM »
Wish you the best on your new adventures.  It can be great living on the coast but it doesn’t always equal more Diving.  When you are busy and the water looks good it haunts you.  When you want to dive and the ocean is nasty it pisses you off. 

Ft Bragg has a shortage of good houses and even though the price is way less than the Bay Area the local income doesn’t really match what is needed to live comfortably.  Specialty jobs like you mentioned do pay more but can be seasonal.  There are always jobs avail in landscaping, tree trimming and construction.  They can pay well but many of the people I know that do those jobs usually have multiple jobs or work for others when their jobs are slow. 

Some people who live in Ft Bragg work in Ukiah because the pay is higher.  Others move to Willits and Ukiah because it’s cheaper and then just make the 1 hour drive to the coast whenever they want. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 10:43:58 AM »
Welcome to the area.

I wish I could live closer to the coast, but as mentioned the job situation is an obstacle.

Offline pclark

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:49:40 AM »
Moved to Mendocino 3 years ago, haven't regretted it for one second, ever!  The elementary and high school here are great, way different than Fort Bragg.  The people are all great too, dealing with tourists can be a pain, but just avoid town on big weekends. 
Like DG said there is plenty of work, for good workers.  Won't pay as much as bay area for sure though.  It is easier to find work than a house to rent. 
Feel free to hit me up with any other questions.
Good luck and stay away from my spots,
Patrick

Offline CaExplorer

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 08:54:53 PM »
Patrick, It's nice to hear that the move worked out for you and your family especially with regard to the schools. Definitely one of the top reasons I've been hesitant to drag my little dude to the coast.

If you were all choosing a new home, how much merit would you give selecting a location inland 1-5 miles for any benefit in weather? I understand it's still Costal, but from my experience it warms up quite a bit.

Cheers,
Chris

Offline ryang85

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 11:13:33 PM »
Patrick, It's nice to hear that the move worked out for you and your family especially with regard to the schools. Definitely one of the top reasons I've been hesitant to drag my little dude to the coast.

If you were all choosing a new home, how much merit would you give selecting a location inland 1-5 miles for any benefit in weather? I understand it's still Costal, but from my experience it warms up quite a bit.

Cheers,
Chris
Stay away from the costal zone, permits are rediculous.   But down here in PR salt spay on the point is a big issue for a lot of people, evrything rust instantly. Im on the bay side and usualy its best to be as close to the coasy as possible if you dont mind the salt. Its cooler in the summer and freezes less over night during the winter.   But i like the fog so its all pretty similar.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 11:57:17 PM »

Cheers,
Chris

Up the hill a little is the sun belt. It’s typically 10 or more degrees warmer, the fog burns off, less windy and you can get enough sun to grow a garden if you can keep the deer out. Rust is an issue if you are in the salt spray, or really close to the water. You aren’t building so permits aren’t an issue, but the coastal commission just had a turn over so permitting is supposed to get easier if you do decide to build on the west side of hwy 1. Everything on that side of the road is pricey, so if you don’t get a view of the ocean I would go inland a bit.

Offline DG

Moving to Mendocino
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2018, 03:28:50 AM »
I live 2.5 Miles out and you can grow a garden easier and it is usually 10 degrees warmer when it’s actually warm a couple weeks a year.  We lived right near the water before and it was damn near impossible to dry my wetsuit and gear after a dive because of the moisture or fog.  I still need a dehumidifier because of the moisture but mold can really be an issue if you don’t keep it in check. 

And the price of housing can go down the more east you go.  Not a lot but definitely less than the west side of hwy 1. 

Offline pclark

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 02:02:35 PM »
+1 for what Ryan, Rob and Duane said, its much nicer a bit inland.  I'm 3 miles off the coast but still in the coastal commission.  Much more sun, no salt, and no ocean view but at least I can hear the waves when its big.  And its nice to be away from town when its full of tourists. I havn't had to deal with the coastal commission yet, don't plan on it either.  A friend is building a new house in town and said they didn't give him any troubles. 

Offline dank

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 04:54:26 PM »
Welcome in advance! Hit me up for some diving when the ocean calms down a bit.

We moved to Ukiah in November and are loving it. As for what to do about work, if you're a landscaper check out Mendocino College. I know they're hiring a full time groundskeeper right now and the posting doesn't close until later in February. That would be a great place to work.

Good luck to you and like I said, give me a shout.

Offline CaExplorer

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2018, 12:14:09 PM »
Thank you all for the advice and work leads. Gardening is a priority for me so I'll focus more on inland lots.  I'll post again as it all develops. Looking forward to meeting more of you in person.

Cheers,
Chris

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 09:21:34 AM »
Nice shell. It’s all personal preference, but just so you know you CAN remove the rest of the stuff on there, even if it doesn’t seem like it. Dental pick and more scrubbing if you want them completely clean and red.

Are those NZ paua next to the big red?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt