collapse

Author Topic: Monterey Sewage Spill  (Read 1446 times)

rluiz

Monterey Sewage Spill
« on: January 22, 2018, 10:11:10 AM »

Offline gabbert

• chillin' the most
Re: Monterey Sewage Spill
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2018, 12:22:03 PM »
Monterey's officially been downgraded to my "#2" spot for the next few weeks.

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2018, 12:35:55 PM »
Yeah, I guess it's not the place to "go" right now.

Offline Tez

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »
What a bunch of crap  ;D

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2018, 02:34:29 PM »
Look on the bright side, now is your chance to hunt sea run corn-eyed-brown trout and long island white fish.

MN

Offline Slamson

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2018, 04:57:39 PM »
Now the viz is definitely crap

Offline the_derek

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 05:12:43 PM »
something something poop deck
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline ryang85

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 05:24:37 PM »
Its a perfect time to search for the elusive North American finless brown trout, since they just restocked the area.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2018, 07:09:26 PM »
Matt should do something quick before the whole site goes in the toilet from this unimpeded flow....

On a more serious note - am I the only one who notices that when we get decent rains quite a number of norcal cities seem to have sewage "spills" - Napa, Santa Rosa, etc.  Seems to me they use this as cover for dumping their excess sewage, then pay a fine that is relatively small compared to the cost of expanding their facilities to handle it properly.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 07:21:53 AM »
Matt should do something quick before the whole site goes in the toilet from this unimpeded flow....

On a more serious note - am I the only one who notices that when we get decent rains quite a number of norcal cities seem to have sewage "spills" - Napa, Santa Rosa, etc.  Seems to me they use this as cover for dumping their excess sewage, then pay a fine that is relatively small compared to the cost of expanding their facilities to handle it properly.
Rainfall usualy stresses the equipment due to small leaks within the  system. Also they cannot irragate the wastewater like they do during the summer so theres usualy millions and millions if gallons in storage.  I work a lot with smaller septic  systems but have been to a lot of plants  during my engineering classes.  Some places are really lazy about routine maintenance, that could be the issue for this one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline John

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2018, 06:11:47 PM »
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

rluiz

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2018, 07:01:48 PM »
something something poop deck
Promote that man!

Offline dank

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2018, 05:12:01 PM »

I don't know if this is the case in the cities you mentioned but I do know that many municipalities have antiquated "combined sewer systems." These were usually built about 100 years ago and are designed to carry storm water and sewage to a treatment facility. During periods of heavy rain and runoff, the combined sewage and storm water overwhelms the system are discharged out of combined sewer overflows (CSOs). CSOs are usually in rivers or on shorelines since when they were built it was more of a common practice to use waterways as a vehicle for waste disposal. Also, compared to 100 years ago, there's a lot more pavement and development now, which increases the volume of storm water runoff. Many municipalities are slowly updating these systems but as you can imagine, redoing that type of infrastructure is complex and expensive.

This phenomenon doesn't account for all sewage spills but is more common than you'd expect, especially during heavy rainfall. I've seen CSO's at very low tide (often they're partially or completely submerged) that were so large you could drive a car through them and they really flow when there's a big storm.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2018, 05:56:36 PM »

I don't know if this is the case in the cities you mentioned but I do know that many municipalities have antiquated "combined sewer systems." These were usually built about 100 years ago and are designed to carry storm water and sewage to a treatment facility. During periods of heavy rain and runoff, the combined sewage and storm water overwhelms the system are discharged out of combined sewer overflows (CSOs). CSOs are usually in rivers or on shorelines since when they were built it was more of a common practice to use waterways as a vehicle for waste disposal. Also, compared to 100 years ago, there's a lot more pavement and development now, which increases the volume of storm water runoff. Many municipalities are slowly updating these systems but as you can imagine, redoing that type of infrastructure is complex and expensive.

This phenomenon doesn't account for all sewage spills but is more common than you'd expect, especially during heavy rainfall. I've seen CSO's at very low tide (often they're partially or completely submerged) that were so large you could drive a car through them and they really flow when there's a big storm.

This is what is actually happening, not some small leaks. Leaks in a sewer system go into the earth not into the water. Most towns have setting ponds that get treatment at their final stage then discharged to a slough or other water way. With an influx of water from storm runoff that exceeds treatment plant holding pond capacity the water effluent makes it way out without being treated. I know this from actually working for a municipal water department.

Offline chopper

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
I live by Ocean Beach in SF and there are two big cement boxes - one at Valencia and the other at Lincoln -- that are about 5' tall and 10' wide that unleash a holy shit storm of overflow during big storms. The entire great highway has a major transfer tube buried under it that carries all the sewage from the west side of the city AND all of the runoff from the streets. The boxes on the beach are the relief valve when the system gets overloaded. Pretty amazing and disgusting sight when it happens.

The Beach is always posted after big storms, but the postings don't last as long because of all the water movement coming in and out of the bay. The spills get dispersed quicker than in Monterey/Carmel, etc.

Cheers,
Brad

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt