collapse

Author Topic: Parasite free?  (Read 4486 times)

Offline the_derek

Re: Parasite free?
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 05:30:42 PM »
I've found a couple while cleaning smaller lings, they're probably better at hiding in the larger ones. Hit em with that freezer blast!

Lol... i read this as a "Taser" 

I wonder if you could use a Taser to kill the worms... ::)
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Tez

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 05:58:19 PM »
I've found a couple while cleaning smaller lings, they're probably better at hiding in the larger ones. Hit em with that freezer blast!

Lol... i read this as a "Taser" 

I wonder if you could use a Taser to kill the worms... ::)

Just leave the speargun at home and take out the taser...skip the spear step completely.  Big enough battery you could probably cook it too  ;D

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 07:33:05 PM »
I almost never find them in lings. In fact I'm not sure I ever have. But blacks are full of them. And halibut - especially in the belly area - are notorious for worms.

But like everyone else has said, pick them out when you fillet the fish, and make sure it's cooked through and you're fine. Freezing is good for extra measure.

If you candle them you’ll start seeing them. They look like a darker spot inside the meat. Once you cut down into the meat that far a big stringy worm will be exposed. Or you can just stay in denial and keep eating them like you have been.  !p

Offline the_derek

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2018, 07:49:21 PM »
I almost never find them in lings. In fact I'm not sure I ever have. But blacks are full of them. And halibut - especially in the belly area - are notorious for worms.

But like everyone else has said, pick them out when you fillet the fish, and make sure it's cooked through and you're fine. Freezing is good for extra measure.

If you candle them you’ll start seeing them. They look like a darker spot inside the meat. Once you cut down into the meat that far a big stringy worm will be exposed. Or you can just stay in denial and keep eating them like you have been.  !p

denial ... way to a happy life

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Travis Mills

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2018, 08:01:32 PM »
De Nile.  It's not just a river in egypt

Offline kathy

« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 08:33:45 AM »
Well thanks everyone! This thread was like a crab pot, I came back and visited this morning and there's some great stuff here! I am excited to try candling the filets. What a great idea and my dad just gave my husband and I each 1400 Lumen NEBO Blast flashlights for Christmas so I am going to light up our ling filets tonight before BBQing. 2800 Lumens - maybe that will even cook the fish right there!!

Sorry to keep up the grossness, but the biology of it all is just amazing and brings up interesting thoughts.

I wonder from the point of view of the Cabezon what life is like with those worms. Really, if I had a giant worm scooting around my muscle tissue, I'd like to think I would be aware of it, and probably in some kind of pain, but maybe the worm has evolved to operate in a way that allows fish to be maximally effective at staying alive and relatively healthy (and therefore creating the best possible home for the worm).

Do you think that really big fish would be found with worms as frequently as smaller fish? Or is it only smaller fish (ie the worms kill or contribute to the death of the fish before they can get really big and old).

I'll share the results of the filet candling later, if it's anything interesting.

Offline dank

« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2018, 10:15:54 AM »
Your success and life as a parasite suffers if you do too much harm to your host. I doubt that fish are bothered by anasakids but what fish might feel is very well beyond my comprehension.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 12:09:14 PM »
Your success and life as a parasite suffers if you do too much harm to your host. I doubt that fish are bothered by anasakids but what fish might feel is very well beyond my comprehension.

Parasites have many types relationships with their hosts. The fish may be an intermediate host for the parasitic larvae. The larvae may develop into another stage when ingested by a seal where it may reproduce and re-enter the food chain back to the fish. In this case the parasite could cause infection or death in the fish and not interrupt its own life cycle.

Don’t assume that parasitic relationships aren’t harmful, many parasites eventually kill their host.

Offline dank

« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2018, 04:31:00 PM »

Parasites have many types relationships with their hosts. The fish may be an intermediate host for the parasitic larvae. The larvae may develop into another stage when ingested by a seal where it may reproduce and re-enter the food chain back to the fish. In this case the parasite could cause infection or death in the fish and not interrupt its own life cycle.

Don’t assume that parasitic relationships aren’t harmful, many parasites eventually kill their host.

Yes, true. I was being too general there. It would appear though that anasakids don't harm fish too much but again, I could be mistaken.

Offline capo

« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2018, 05:24:31 PM »
I wish I didn’t read this post before consuming the cabs from Friday and Saturday. Sure enough there were worms before cooking and while eating my taste buds were paranoid. Gotta get used to it. I couldn’t  mention it to my wife though as she was enjoying it.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2018, 05:48:20 PM »
My friend Nate has a video clip. He cooked his fish, apparently lightly, and had it on the plate. Him and his girls are going after it with chopsticks. Then in the middle of the fish a worm crawls up and started squiggling around. lol see if I can find the clip.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2018, 06:53:30 PM »
My friend Nate has a video clip. He cooked his fish, apparently lightly, and had it on the plate. Him and his girls are going after it with chopsticks. Then in the middle of the fish a worm crawls up and started squiggling around. lol see if I can find the clip.

lol

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2018, 07:01:30 PM »
Maybe this time.

rluiz

« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »
That fish looks cooked pretty raw, but disgusting either way. Had to open it with my laptop not phone btw
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 07:15:19 PM by Sir Rob IV »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 07:53:16 PM »
See if this one works

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt