collapse

Author Topic: Parasite free?  (Read 4103 times)

Offline kathy

Parasite free?
« on: January 02, 2018, 10:20:08 PM »
Please skip the images if you are squeamish like me.
In fact, you may want to skip this entire post.

So for the first time ever I found a live worm in a fish that I was prepping to cook.
The fish was a cabezon taken up in Mendo. I gutted and gilled it before leaving the beach so I could roast it whole. Threw it right in the fridge when I got home and took it out the next night to cook. There was a white strand ~12" long on the fish when I washed it and patted it dry. I pulled it off and to my horror it moved - sluggishly - so I set it aside and washed and inspected the rest of the fish. Didn't see any others so proceeded with the most epic roast: 375 degrees on a glass baking dish - stuffed fish cavity with green and red onions, garlic and cilantro and lime slices - then covered fish with olive oil then crusted it with salt, curry powder, turmeric, ground coriander, lime juice, chili powder. I was paranoid about the worm so I roasted the CRAP out of the fish and read internal temps of 165 at a few thermometer samplings. The meat under the skin was moist and delicious but I did find one other dead worm as I pulled meat off the bones. It was too good not to eat! (The FISH, not the worm!!)

So now I am a little freaked out by the size of this worm and (I have an unfortunate pre-existing terror of parasitic worms thanks to 3 separate incidents from my childhood) generally grossed out and surprised that this is the first time I have seen these. And feeling somewhat crabby that my delicious fish in my head now has this association. Here's the worm as I found it, as it was when I left the kitchen for dinner and came back (it tied itself into a knot) and I could use some perspective here to get out of this worm funk.

How and when are you confident that your cooked fish is safe, when you find worms? How do you remain mentally / emotionally confident about eating your fish (esp if you have a little bit of a parasite phobia)

Thanks
Yuk
 :-X

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
Re: Parasite free?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 10:34:18 PM »
I don’t even bother taking blacks anymore for that very reason lol. I like to think gutting the fish as soon as you dispatch it helps to decrease worms in the fillets but that doesn’t always work either.

Hold the fillets up to the light and the worms should show through the meat. I just cut them out while cleaning.
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 10:39:21 PM »
I see them all the time. Blacks can be terrible but they can be in any of them. I rarely eat whole fish for this reason(especially not cabs).

Offline the_derek

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 12:41:55 AM »
I freeze and cook. just don't think about it... just chew really well :P
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline ryang85

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2018, 07:31:35 AM »
My room mate chewed a mouth full of live worms form a bite of ling he tried to cook on his own but failed.

Contrary to popular belief you cannot “get worms” as they can only survive in your body very briefly.

I just cook them until it’s clearly done and eat without worry. Or freeze for a week and eat raw.
See i always thought these ones you could get, but blacks, perch and cabs seem to be filled, ive seen certain  lings with them too. I just cook thoroughly and try to avoid looking closely at the fillets.  But pull them out when i do see them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline DG

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 07:33:25 AM »
I see them all the time. Blacks can be terrible but they can be in any of them. I rarely eat whole fish for this reason(especially not cabs).
Same here. 

I don’t even tell the wife about worms or she would never eat fish again.  As awesome as it is that so many eat the whole fish I mostly eat fillets and if left in the fridge overnight any worms missed will come to the surface so they can be pulled out. 

The rest goes in to the crab pots or garden. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2018, 08:52:38 AM »
I always fillet the fish and hold them up to the light. The dark spots are worms. I just dig them out with the fillet knife.

Fish found near seal and sea lion haul out seem to have more worms, but almost all fish have them. If you don’t see them you aren’t looking.

All sushi restaurants in the USA serve previously commercially frozen fish. Commercial freezing is colder than our home freezers. Thoroughly cooking fish kills the worms too.

The most that these worms can do is make you sick, but you’ll pass them in a few days. I prefer to avoid them anyway so I skip the fresh sashimi and ceviche.

I also pass on Blacks and Cabezon.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:54:25 AM by Rob102 »

Offline dank

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »
What others have said is spot-on. The larval nematodes are there, in most fish, especially around concentrations of marine mammals, which is their host in an earlier stage of life. Your home freezer won't kill them, only cooking will (freezing them to -15 degrees F or something like that will kill them but that's commercial territory). I "candle" any fish I eat raw and if there are more than one or two, I'll skip the raw application. These particular worms live in the flesh so how fast they're gutted makes no difference to the likelihood of them showing up.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2018, 10:23:10 AM »
What others have said is spot-on. The larval nematodes are there, in most fish, especially around concentrations of marine mammals, which is their host in an earlier stage of life. Your home freezer won't kill them, only cooking will (freezing them to -15 degrees F or something like that will kill them but that's commercial territory). I "candle" any fish I eat raw and if there are more than one or two, I'll skip the raw application. These particular worms live in the flesh so how fast they're gutted makes no difference to the likelihood of them showing up.

A home freezer will kill them. Zero degrees for one week is required. Or negative 15 at I tho k 3 days.

Frozen is frozen... they will die in your home freezer, give it a week or so...

But there's a lot of gross stuff in all meat, just don't ask questions. Where do you think that cheap $1 menu gets its meat from... I have friends in the dairy business...  ???
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Tez

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2018, 10:39:27 AM »
I just try not to look to closely ;D  I love cabs, and they often have a bunch of 'em, so oh well. 

Offline dank

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 12:33:44 PM »
A home freezer will kill them. Zero degrees for one week is required. Or negative 15 at I tho k 3 days.
[/quote]

That will work for tapeworm larva but not for the anasakid nematodes, which is what we encounter the most. I could be mistaken but I think those only die at temperatures below what a home freezer is capable of producing.

Speaking of tapeworms, my brother had one once a few years ago, probably from fish. It didn't make him sick but it made for an interesting episode in the bathroom one morning.....

Offline dank

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 12:36:00 PM »
Here's a quick read about it all if anyone is interested.

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 03:01:40 PM »
I almost never find them in lings. In fact I'm not sure I ever have. But blacks are full of them. And halibut - especially in the belly area - are notorious for worms.

But like everyone else has said, pick them out when you fillet the fish, and make sure it's cooked through and you're fine. Freezing is good for extra measure.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 03:07:32 PM »
I lee trying to get a worm but haven’t had any luck.  :'(

Offline makemwearit

• Aquaholic
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 05:08:15 PM »
I've found a couple while cleaning smaller lings, they're probably better at hiding in the larger ones. Hit em with that freezer blast!
apneaddict
FII Level 1 Freediver

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt