collapse

Author Topic: Wong Gun for NorCal?  (Read 3506 times)

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
Re: Wong Gun for NorCal?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2017, 04:45:19 PM »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2017, 04:46:20 PM »
Is that a dare?

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »
It's a compliment, I  reserve this picture for only a select few.

MN

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 07:43:15 PM »
Well this is bizarre. I was just gifted a Wong 42 moments ago.

Within the span of 30 minutes I saw this post, googled the Daryl Wong website, and then the UPS driver delivered my Christmas present.

I will put up some pictures and measurements. Its not that much longer than my mako 60cm

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 07:52:37 PM »
Wong 42 NE Hybrid vs Mako 60cm:

It's about 4.5in longer than the Mako when measured tip to trigger

(Surprise from the gf! Custom engraved with my name and a shark doodle that I've been drawing since high school. The cool factor is off the charts)

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 08:40:16 PM »
I don't think it's hydro dipped. Painted and clearcoat. I'll have to try not to drag it on rocks though

Offline Scallop shooter

« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 09:43:58 PM »
I have a Wong “nor Easter” and love it.
I use it all the time up north.
If the viz is bad ,I load up one band.
It’s a great shooting gun.

I have had the gun for about 9-10 years ,and it’s my go to gun up north.
Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Stay calm and dive on

Offline ryang85

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 05:57:19 AM »
spearboard has a ton of info on how to measure differnt brands and style euro guns, some wood guns are measured from  mid band slot to the back of handle and that is a kinda strange measurement. 

Ive always been interested in the concept of the Wong hybrid gun, even a hybrid roller gun would be pretty cool for Mexico or socal.

I bet that gun will shoot awsome if your diving on a good vis day shooting big blacks, reds and whatever else actauly cares about your presence in norcal.

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 07:43:39 PM »
Wong 42 NE Hybrid vs Mako 60cm:...

That image is money for what I was asking. Thank you Zzz!

It's somehow smaller than I expected, so maybe my "decision" on the 36" isn't correct. Second guessing! Argh!!

You'll love that gun. Daryl is a true craftsman, and as you get it in the water and start working with it, you'll really appreciate why he has the reputation he's earned. I purchased a 60" GR Plus hybrid for hunting YT down south last summer, and it's hard to find words to express how little I regret that purchase. Meeting Daryl last summer on Oahu made me acutely aware that when you get one of his guns (even secondhand), it comes with so much more than what you can ever express with a photo.
Ken Goudey

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 07:44:52 PM »
I have a Wong “nor Easter” and love it.
I use it all the time up north....

Chuck, if you could trim 6" off the length in order to make it easier to swim around kelp and into caves, would you? Or do you feel like the 42" is the right size for everything we do up here?
Ken Goudey

Alfonso

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 06:09:01 AM »
The easiest way to measure guns for cross comparison between brands/models is to measure from the back of the band slot on the muzzle to the farthest back fin on the shaft, since that's the only length that really matters when it comes to power and range. (If a ten foot long gun stock has bands that only stretch two feet, it's a two foot gun.)

Offline Creatura

« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 10:55:14 AM »
Nice Gun Bru!

(Surprise from the gf! Custom engraved with my name and a shark doodle that I've been drawing since high school. The cool factor is off the charts)

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2017, 03:52:14 PM »

That is a bad ass little gun

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 08:37:47 PM »
The easiest way to measure guns for cross comparison between brands/models is to measure from the back of the band slot on the muzzle to the farthest back fin on the shaft, since that's the only length that really matters when it comes to power and range. (If a ten foot long gun stock has bands that only stretch two feet, it's a two foot gun.)
Exactly!!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt