collapse

Author Topic: Wong Gun for NorCal?  (Read 3509 times)

Offline swaziloo

Wong Gun for NorCal?
« on: December 19, 2017, 03:02:30 PM »
Given the quality of gun Daryl Wong made me for SoCal/Hawaii fishing this year, and the quality of person Daryl is, I'm planning to have him upgrade my NorCal gun, and I'm torn between going for the 36" hybrid "Pistol" and the 42" hybrid "North Easter."

On an even semi-clear day here, I'd probably always want the 42, but I'm upgrading from a 60cm Cressi tube gun, and that thing has been easy to swim around the kelp (when there was kelp) and down into the cracks. Anyone with a Wong who hunts here in NorCal willing to weigh in? I think Daryl is suggesting the 42. Anyone have the 36?

Ken Goudey

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Wong Gun for NorCal?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 03:35:36 PM »
42”?  That’s like 105cm. Most of our fishing is hole hunting or up close. Without kelp you can get away with a 105cm on a clear day. It’s probably more useful in cencal or farther south if you are taking longer shots on Sheep’s Head, but up here I think it’s overkill. I have a 105 an I use it on the reef in Hawaii, but I’ve never used a gun longer than 90cm in cencal (which is about 35”).

I too use a 60cm as my primary gun and have for years, and a 75cm as a backup. Those guns are 25” & 30” respectively. While Daryl is a top notch gun maker, and I would never try to talk you out of buying all of the additional guns that you like, please vis and no kelp. IMO we have our reef gun sizes dialed in up here between 60cm and 80cm.

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 03:41:33 PM »
Just to clarify: I've been hunting primarily in NorCal for years. I know what it's like to fish here.

Also, band length isn't how Daryl measures his guns. If you measure your gun from the end of the handle to the tip of the gun, your 60cm gun is probably close to 34", which is pretty similar to Daryl's 36"

Thanks for the comments guys, but I'm specifically looking for input from people who have one or the other of Daryl's guns. I know he has customers here. Maybe I should ask him for some names to contact directly.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 03:47:22 PM by swaziloo »
Ken Goudey

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 03:50:16 PM »
Actually, something you said Rob made me realize that the Wong 36 is probably equivalent to a 70cm gun--which means that 42 is like an 85cm, which I think is too long.

Would still like to hear from anyone with one of the aforementioned guns.
Ken Goudey

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 03:52:41 PM »
I am under the impression that gun sizes are actually the shaft size and have nothing to do with gun length regardless of mechanism type.

By all means, ask Daryl how many 42” guns he has sold for use in NorCal. I’ve never seen one.

Josh Russo has a Wong. I’m sure he’ll measure it for you.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 03:58:54 PM »
This is from Daryl’s site:

Size of Spear Gun

What can I say? The bigger the gun the longer the range. Size is usually determined by the visibility and the type of game hunted. In very low vis. 2-5ft. a very small gun such as a pistol would be best. In vis. 5-10ft. then the 42in or 90cm range is great. For vis better then 10ft then sizes from 50-60in work. Fish size should be a factor too. For fish under 10lbs the 50 in or smaller will do fine. For longer shots on bigger fish then sizes upward from 55-63 in may be needed. Blue water diving should use guns that are a minimum of 60-68 in. Bands on those guns can range from three to five bands.
One thing to remember: Always be conservative and know the effective killing range of your speargun. It is our responsibility to ensure that we be sportsmen and try to use the right tool for the right job.

According to this a 42” is the 90cm range.

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2017, 04:01:13 PM »
Most manufacturers measure their guns by band length, like this:
https://www.spearitco.com/speargun-band-length-calculator-s/1933.htm

That's why, for instance, a Pathos 70 with a reverse mech is about the same overall size as other 60cm guns.

Daryl just measures the gun (without a spear) overall length, so the comparisons are "estimates" unless you have someone measure band length on his gun. Though I agree that 42" being ~90cm is still too big for up here, don't you think? The 36" will be a 70-75cm equivalent.
Ken Goudey

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2017, 04:05:58 PM »
Most manufacturers measure their guns by band length, like this:
https://www.spearitco.com/speargun-band-length-calculator-s/1933.htm

That's why, for instance, a Pathos 70 with a reverse mech is about the same overall size as other 60cm guns.

Daryl just measures the gun (without a spear) overall length, so the comparisons are "estimates" unless you have someone measure band length on his gun. Though I agree that 42" being ~90cm is still too big for up here, don't you think? The 36" will be a 70-75cm equivalent.

That calculation is band length, not gun length. Gun length is actually shaft length. Pathos is shorter than equivalent size guns due to reverse mechanism which locates the shaft farther to the rear of the gun, which also means a shorter shaft overhang.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2017, 04:18:45 PM »
I went and measured my guns. It doesn’t make any sense. I don’t know how they measure

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
It's supposed to be the distance the bands stretch. I don't know what that means when it's a roller though.
Ken Goudey

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 04:24:17 PM »
I investigated it further. It is the length of the barrel or tube. Not shaft or bandstretch, although bandstretch is determined by barrel length.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2017, 04:31:48 PM »
I don't have a Wong, but I have a bunch of mids from 29" thru 44" I use in norcal (stock length, tip of muzzle to loading pad).   My experience is that the 44" is too long except for the clearest of days, and then it is not good for shooting into rocks.    I tend to take a 31, 33 and or 36".

Per the Wong Site
For the 36:  the spec says 36" length with a 42" shaft.
For the 42:  the spec says 42" length with a 48-50" shaft.

I would go with the 36" for norcal.

Good luck with your selection.

MN

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2017, 04:34:19 PM »
I just measured my Beuchat 105 with rear mech. The barrel is 42” and the overall length is 60”. If it had a regular mech you would have to add about 6”. A rear handle reverse mech and a mid handle will have equivalent length. So 42” would be 60” minimum.

My pathos 90cm is 36” barrel and 50” overall.

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2017, 04:34:46 PM »
Thanks Mike. I agree we're coming to the group-consensus that the 42" is too long.

My current 60cm tube gun has a 33.5" (85cm) gun length (without spear) and a 36" (91cm) shaft, which is only a little smaller than the Wong "Pistol" with a 36" gun length and 42" spear.

Definitely seems like stepping up to a 42" overall length and 48-50" spear would kinda cross a threshold in "swimmability" in our waters. I also think Daryl is suggesting the longer guns 'cause he's used to a less "groundfish" style  of hunting than we practice, plus he's probably thinking the 42" would stand-in better if hunting calico or sheepshead down south.
Ken Goudey

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 04:39:06 PM »
Personally I’d rather have 4 pipe guns in various sizes rather than 1 Wong.

That way I would always have the right gun and not the Wong gun... 

Sorry, I had to do that

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt