collapse

Author Topic: 2018 competitions  (Read 4732 times)

Online the_derek

Re: 2018 competitions
« Reply #45 on: December 13, 2017, 12:54:45 AM »
Ryan, I bet you are a good dive partner, as long as you keep the snorkel in your mouth, but I think the paddle would be brutal.

Just keep his girlfriend between you and him, she’ll keep him pipped down.  ;D

It puts the lube on its skin or else it gets the paddle again.

Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

rluiz

« Reply #46 on: December 13, 2017, 08:33:13 AM »
Ryan, I bet you are a good dive partner, as long as you keep the snorkel in your mouth, but I think the paddle would be brutal.

Just keep his girlfriend between you and him, she’ll keep him pipped down.  ;D

It puts the lube on its skin or else it gets the paddle again.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #47 on: December 13, 2017, 01:21:15 PM »
If you are able to set a schedule for some comps it would be helpful to get those days off.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Online the_derek

« Reply #48 on: December 13, 2017, 02:15:56 PM »
1:10 Hey guys....loook! Haaaahahahaha

pretty much my post dive look...
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: December 13, 2017, 02:30:30 PM »
If you are able to set a schedule for some comps it would be helpful to get those days off.

That’s a good plan. For now it’ll be weekends. Unless I’m off and there’s a flat day. You can also let me know when you have time off and if the ocean is good we might be able to plan something.

You guys can pm me here or text me at 2817557386

Offline Kelp Creeper

« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2017, 01:51:15 PM »
I'm not active on forums, but my buddy and I have been diving Mendo quite a bit lately. We're interested in diving with others and competitions.
We live in the Eureka area (Humboldt) and dive down south during the winter. Hit me up if you guys want at least two divers for whatever.

I'm actually on here because we're planning what to do this next season. We talked about some more advanced local Humboldt dives, Trying Sonoma and even more south for the first time (like far enough south for lobster and trying out striper), and maybe some competitions in Mendo this season.

We had come up with similar ideas to "spice" up our trips in making them a little more fun and competitive (like drawing a species from a hat, etc.) but just among ourselves. We had an idea to use only polespears that we fabricated as a contest too... lol. (I liked that one because until recently I exclusively used polespears).

Oh and Hi! by the way.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2017, 08:54:23 PM »
I'm not active on forums, but my buddy and I have been diving Mendo quite a bit lately. We're interested in diving with others and competitions.
We live in the Eureka area (Humboldt) and dive down south during the winter. Hit me up if you guys want at least two divers for whatever.

I'm actually on here because we're planning what to do this next season. We talked about some more advanced local Humboldt dives, Trying Sonoma and even more south for the first time (like far enough south for lobster and trying out striper), and maybe some competitions in Mendo this season.

We had come up with similar ideas to "spice" up our trips in making them a little more fun and competitive (like drawing a species from a hat, etc.) but just among ourselves. We had an idea to use only polespears that we fabricated as a contest too... lol. (I liked that one because until recently I exclusively used polespears).

Oh and Hi! by the way.

Hi

My first attempt was a flop. I’ll be doing some this summer for sure. Maybe sooner weather and work permitting. Keep in touch here. I’d love to get some guys from other areas involved. Maybe you could show some of us around up,in your neck of the woods sometime.

Offline Kelp Creeper

« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2017, 09:59:03 AM »
For sure! I'd love to dive with a bunch of people.

Humboldt is very murky most of the time. In the summer it can have some beautiful days with decent vis.  My dive partner and I have dove a lot of this area already (North and South Jetty, All of  Trinidad down to Lufenholtz, Flat Iron rock, college cove and around the corner north of Elks head in that little cove). We've been discussing our plans for this summer and really want to dive Elks head, South of Patricks point and some of the deeper areas of south jetty (as far as local dives). 

We've been diving Mendo quite a bit this winter and it's gorgeous. A whole different feel. The worst days in Mendo are like the best days in Humboldt (as far as visibility). When you can actually see it's amazing what it can do for your dive depth and bottom time... lol.  I say all this, but Humboldt has been good to us. It's really fishy. We've gotten some really chunky blues (I think 17 inches.. if I remember correctly), Some very nice blacks (2 foot), I got a 3 foot ling.... oh and lot's of scallops and crabs. And all of this is actually kind of common.  So if anyone comes to visit us (weather and vis permitting), we'd be able to put you on to some very decent fish holes.  There's a lot of white shark action at the jetty's so just a heads up around that.

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2017, 10:41:33 AM »
I've never had better than 3ft viz in Humboldt. My plan to explore a Trinidad spot last weeked was more or less ruined by 1ft viz. At least the crab is still easy

Offline Kelp Creeper

« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »
Send me a message in the summer (Summer is when the vis can be "good" ... emphasis ..."can" and "good"). 2016 had a day where it was 15 or even 20 foot plus in the Bay!! (my buddy got a starry flounder on that day). In 2017 there were two or more days of 15 foot plus. This last Summer if the surf was calm for more than two days we were most likely diving Trinidad. I particularly remember the large Blacks and giant scallops we got. I even pulled a 9 inch ab in Trinidad. (that's amazing by the way... as abs are illusive there). 

My dive partner and I only need 3 feet of vis. (I seriously use a 3.5 ft polespear in Humboldt most days, especially out at the Jetty's).

Diving in Mendo is completely different.. I feel like a wolf let loose on a pasture of lambs...lol. (very calm surf and awesome visibility), So I'm not sure what the inverse feeling of that is, but if you don't get your hopes up too too much I can offer to take you to the best diving I've done for the area.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt