collapse

Author Topic: 2018 competitions  (Read 4762 times)

Offline the_derek

Re: 2018 competitions
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 09:13:24 AM »
I like the pcc rules, no ff or gps, location day of.

I like the surprise fish, and dungee comps.

Urchin limit should just be a qualifier... you need to pull a limit of urchin to submit a fish.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 10:17:46 AM »
Guys I’m making a list, and every time you post an idea a lot of possibilities come to mind. It would be awesome to have enough ideas to run a comp every decent water weekend all summer.

My back hurts right now or I would suggest a pole spear Big Ling dive out of Albion Sunday so we can smash the shit out of Matt’s world record!

Offline dank

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 10:40:37 AM »
I like these ideas and I especially like the idea of having different competitions that are very specific in the objective/target/organization. This ensures a good mix and would hopefully keep them from being dominated by a single skill-set. I also like the idea of having "one fish" competitions, which would encourage discipline and patience. Another fun aspect might be to have some pool betting on the side to see who best predicts the outcomes and give funding a boost.

I've never participated in a spearfishing competition but I think it would be fun to do a weird/unique one. A long time ago when I was a bike messenger we used to have races that had different challenges/objectives aside from being the first across the finish line (although that usually counted for something). Sometimes it was scavenger hunt oriented or puzzle oriented. Sometimes you'd collect cards and the person with the best hand won. Sometimes your speed or prowess at the beer chugging station would be a strength....anyway, I feel like diving is perfectly suited for fun stuff like that.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 10:49:43 AM »
For those who don’t like fishing competitions, I completely understand your point of view. The idea here isn’t to shoot fish for points and prizes. I want people to fish for what they will eat, get together with fellow divers and provide some incentive to get off the couch and get in the water.

If you come out on any given weekend to shoot fish, we just might be able to have a comp for one of the fish on your stringer. Maybe you’ll take something home besides your fish, but at least you will get together with the gang, meet some new people and you could even learn something.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 11:13:19 AM »
My back hurts right now or I would suggest a pole spear Big Ling dive out of Albion Sunday so we can smash the shit out of Matt’s world record!

hahaha its going to be hard to beat that 19lb ling...
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2017, 11:22:03 AM »
I think iusa has a 10lb minimum. Nobody has ever entered before for spearfishing. Do you guys remember Jim and Harold going back and forth on the mfe record?

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2017, 12:01:05 PM »
I think iusa has a 10lb minimum. Nobody has ever entered before for spearfishing. Do you guys remember Jim and Harold going back and forth on the mfe record?

Nobody has ever entered before spearfishing? Did you mean its 10 pounds IF no one has entered before?

If so, then yes the minimum for salt is 10 pounds.

Here are the rules.
http://www.iusarecords.com/Rules.aspx

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »

hahaha its going to be hard to beat that 19lb ling...

I sure hope one of our NCUH'ers can top a measly 19.4 pounds on a pole spear, I did not set the bar very high lol,
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:22:09 PM by MATT MATTISON »
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2017, 01:47:58 PM »

Nobody has ever entered before spearfishing? Did you mean its 10 pounds IF no one has entered before?

Here are the rules.

Right. I know the rules. I'm just not sure what your comment meant. "Nobody has ever entered before for spearfishing."

What I meant was, there are plenty of records for HnL, and for spearfishing in Florida and Hawaii, but there hasn’t been many rock fish entries in California. The first I know of is Dan shit a 10lb Red and submitted it. And of course his 37lb Ling Cod to break Dennis’s previous record. But few rock fish hit 10 lbs and pole spear division was apparently wide open. None of us would turn our nose up at a 19lb Ling Cod, but who would have thought it was a record? 

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2017, 02:17:12 PM »

Here are the rules.

Right. I know the rules. I'm just not sure what your comment meant. "Nobody has ever entered before for spearfishing."

What I meant was, there are plenty of records for HnL, and for spearfishing in Florida and Hawaii, but there hasn’t been many rock fish entries in California. The first I know of is Dan shit a 10lb Red and submitted it. And of course his 37lb Ling Cod to break Dennis’s previous record. But few rock fish hit 10 lbs and pole spear division was apparently wide open. None of us would turn our nose up at a 19lb Ling Cod, but who would have thought it was a record?

No one until Matt blasted it all over Facebook, Instagram, and NCUH. Figured that out about 8 months ago and mentioned it in front of Matt. Guess what his new life goal was as soon as he could calm down his rager? Hahaha

man the bitterness is overflowing LOL  :P !!!! I am  glad that record is on everyone radar !! now it will become a competitive record !!!!  No one diver should ever rest on their laurels or records !!!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2017, 02:33:42 PM »

Here are the rules.

No one until Matt blasted it all over Facebook, Instagram, and NCUH. Figured that out about 8 months ago and mentioned it in front of Matt. Guess what his new life goal was as soon as he could calm down his rager? Hahaha

man the bitterness is overflowing LOL  :P !!!! I am  glad that record is on everyone radar !! now it will become a competitive record !!!!  No one diver should ever rest on their laurels or records !!!

There is no bitterness Matt. I haven't submitted anything over because I have been waiting for someone to submit another one, just like you did. In fact I'm glad you got something that means so much to you before one of the OR guys sealed it at 30+ pounds. The only thing I have is a bit of facepalming for your need to throw it out like you did with the "LOOK WHAT I GOT!!!!"  posts, like your name on a piece of paper was huge bragging rights. You know damn well that is far from the biggest ling ever pole speared. You just got the only one submitted. So yeah, world RECORD. As in recorded. LOL. No hard feelings, you do you bro.

THAT SURE SOUNDS LIKE SOME HARD Feelings &  BITTERNESS TO ME, You are correct a lot bigger ones have been taken just not submitted that the divers fault. I am sorry you don't like that I  posted about  my first ever record that I was very proud of  !!!!! To be honest I am little shocked you would have an issue and be judgmental with someone being proud of something they accomplished. 

As for the Oregon guys taking the record with a 30 pound ling, we have 30 ponders in ca as well. This record will now become competitive and fun !!! Lets Raise that bar or record !!!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 02:41:27 PM »
Some day, somewhere, some spearfishing nerd is going to look up Ling Cod records and there will be Matt Mattison’s name. Of course above his name will be a list of guys beating him out by a pound at a time, but even so, Matt has his name in the spearfishing hall of fame. Immortalized. And as long as his name is in that book, we are going to give him a ration of shit.  Thanks Matt, we need the entertainment this winter!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 02:44:53 PM »
Shit. Between the websites, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube channels nobody has any doubt how cool the two of you are.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 02:49:42 PM »
Shit. Between the websites, Facebook, Instagram and YouTube channels nobody has any doubt how cool the two of you are.

I am only cool and a legend in my own dreams !   :P :P :P :P

Why do you think I built this web site Rob ! So I could brag ! Hahahahaha lol jk

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2017, 02:53:31 PM »
Gio, If you want to catch Matt in cool points you should make a video of you jumping out of a helicopter onto the back of a great white shark wearing spurs and a shark shield and riding that big bitch for 8 seconds!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt