collapse

Author Topic: 2018 competitions  (Read 5578 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
2018 competitions
« on: December 11, 2017, 01:10:28 PM »
Hey everyone. With the loss of abalone season this coming year I am considering running some comps in Mendo.   I am going to run these in cooperation with Subsurface Progression. Obviously hunting is going to change or diminish so I thought it would be a good to start getting some small comps going. Maybe we can use this as a platform to get abalone divers into spearfishing, or teach new guys and help them advance. Anything goes here guys. Beginner comps, rookie and mentor comps, one fish, big fish, single species, urchin dives, fish worth points so beginners could compete with more experienced divers.

You guys let me know where your interest lies and if we have enough interest I’ll tailor the comp to you.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: 2018 competitions
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
I am in for what ever format and comps is set up, please let me know how I and the web site can help.

how about a top nor-cal diver of the year comp, similar to DOTY but set up and formatted for just norcal.

trophy scallop comp ?

Heaviest urchin limit

Big fish of the day comp.

you could also do a comp where it is a specific fish for that comp and that is drawn from a bag of choices the morning of so no one knows exactly what fish they are hunting till comp day

you could even do a dungeness crab dive comp.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »
Great ideas Matt, but we can’t do trophy scallops. None of you can beat me!  ;)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 01:33:07 PM »
Great ideas Matt, but we can’t do trophy scallops. None of you can beat me!  ;)

keep thinking that !!!! even a blind squirrel has its day and finds a big one once in awhile 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »
I am in for what ever format and comps is set up, please let me know how I and the web site can help.

how about a top nor-cal diver of the year comp, similar to DOTY but set up and formatted for just norcal.

trophy scallop comp ?

Heaviest urchin limit

Big fish of the day comp.

you could also do a comp where it is a specific fish for that comp and that is drawn from a bag of choices the morning of so no one knows exactly what fish they are hunting till comp day

you could even do a dungeness crab dive comp.
I like  all  of those ideas,   there needs to be more comps not about quantity but mostly about  quality.  That way people arnt going and raping an area of the coast at once.

I like the  norcal version of doty, even going as far as allowing boats for use.

Another thing that would be fun for the more expienced guys is a no batery powered device comp. No lights, fishfinders, gps. Only memory and skill to work with.
Sometimes when vis is good and i have a lot of fish already i leave my  flashlight on my kayak,  it helps improve my hunting a lot because you have to look a lot harder for fish camouflaged in the open and sneak up on them instead them of sitting still under the flashlight the back of a hole.  Also shot placement is super important because if you let a fish hole up your screwed trying to fight it out of the dark.
And just for you Rob,  deffiantly no bait bags for that one. Because the goal is to find and stalk to fish. Not have it come to you.

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 01:54:16 PM »
I think a species meet that included 1 entry per species for finfish only. Not to exceed the Rcg. Point per fish, point per pound. Including any type of perch separately instead of 1 perch entry. This may apeal to newer divers that may not enter a china or vermillion.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 02:02:34 PM »
I’m in as long as cheating is prevented or at least handled. My interest in most comps is pretty low because of the cheating that I hear about, and the “good ol boys” clique that seem to tolerate it for some people.

Gio,
Cheaters will be shot with a rock point double flopper slip tip and used for crab bait

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 02:18:31 PM »
I’m in as long as cheating is prevented or at least handled. My interest in most comps is pretty low because of the cheating that I hear about, and the “good ol boys” clique that seem to tolerate it for some people.

Gio,
Cheaters will be shot with a rock point double flopper slip tip and used for crab bait

Excellent. But can we public heckle and flog them first?

I don’t see why not. I e been heckling for years. Flogging would be a welcomed change.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »

+1... it does seem weird that its tolerated, and makes it not as fun.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline DG

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 06:34:59 PM »
Definitely interested to see how this all comes together. 

I like the random species draw idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rluiz

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 08:28:19 PM »
Rookie and Mentor comp would be cool. It would also give the experienced divers another reason to take a rookie under his wing.

I would prefer no boats, or bait bags. Especially bait bags.

I dont agree with the flashlight rule but I do like Ryans idea of no GPS or FF. Kind of like PCC, you wont know the dive area till the night before.

Species meet would be cool like Adam said, maybe make the species a surprise? Would love to see a bunch of people rushing around trying to find a nice greenling.

Highly recommend removing Urchins should be apart of the tournament. Since they are a reason for contributing to our Abalone population decline. If you had something like 20 Urchins gives you 10 + pts (like randy fry) that would be a lot of urchins removed just from one dive day.  Or for the rookies the most lbs of removed urchins (within DFG regs) wins something or even have its own bracket and prize for it.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »
I like this. We have been dealt a bad hand but you are making the most of it. Thanks Rob.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 11:23:52 PM »
Come on new guys, speak up!  This is for you too.

We are getting some good ideas. I’m leaning toward being inclusive rather than exclusive. Personally I don’t use a boat, but I like to occasionally. If a guy has a boat he probably wants to use it. Shore divers don’t protest kayaks. We can have comps where anything mode of travel goes and some where we restrict it.

My goal is to get as much participation as possible.

I could host hunting seminars for various species....

Offline gabbert

• chillin' the most
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 05:22:29 AM »
With abalone gone, if I want to dive I'll have to step up my fish game.

I'd be very insterested in a mentor/rookie comp.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 06:30:15 AM »
I vote for a mix of comps, ones that allow boats and some that don’t. Like you said Rob some of of us have boats and line to use them, yes I am a boat baby there I said it for you Rob lol

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt