collapse

Author Topic: DOTY 2018 rule changes.  (Read 1127 times)

Offline WildernessMedic

DOTY 2018 rule changes.
« on: December 06, 2017, 04:59:47 PM »
 Hello all, this coming year Big Jim is stepping down from running DOTY. Duane (DG) and I will be taking over.

We have about 3 weeks until the start of the next DOTY year. Is everyone happy with the rules that are in place now, and ok with keeping them the same for 2018?

If you have any suggestions or things you'd like to see changed, lets start discussing it now so we can have it set in time.

Do we want to keep it as top X amount of species, or reopen it back up to scoring all species; even those that are a bit more rare and infrequently hunted?

Online ryang85

Re: DOTY 2018 rule changes.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 06:10:46 PM »
Hello all, this coming year Big Jim is stepping down from running DOTY. Duane (DG) and I will be taking over.

We have about 3 weeks until the start of the next DOTY year. Is everyone happy with the rules that are in place now, and ok with keeping them the same for 2018?

If you have any suggestions or things you'd like to see changed, lets start discussing it now so we can have it set in time.

Do we want to keep it as top X amount of species, or reopen it back up to scoring all species; even those that are a bit more rare and infrequently hunted?
Include canarys and box crab, Keep the 15 limit.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline WildernessMedic

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 06:47:02 PM »

Copy on the canaries. Are they generally the same sizes as reds? Can we keep the same score card for them or do we need to make a new one?

Not sure about the box crabs. If they're legal game I guess its possible, but I think we'd need a lot more interested in adding that...

Is the 15 limit just because you suck at finding verms and halibut?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:52:31 PM by WildernessMedic »

Online ryang85

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 06:50:32 PM »

Copy on the canaries.

Not sure about the box crabs. If they're legal game I guess its possible, but I think we'd need a lot more interested in adding that...

Is the 15 limit just because you suck at finding verms and halibut?
No i can find both of those, keep it 15 because i suck at finding sheep/perch/monkeys.
 And the canarys tend to be a lot smaller, unless you can dive 200 feet then they are tue same size, id say make them the same as the blues. ( ive never heard of a diver shooting over a 18"er before)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 07:14:17 PM by ryang85 »

Offline Rob102

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 08:21:31 PM »
Ryan, have you ever seen a canary?

Or a box crab?  And I donít mean the one in the dive shop.

I was under the impression that you just recently got your first Red.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:24:20 PM by Rob102 »

Offline WildernessMedic

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2017, 08:47:58 PM »

You brighten my days Rob.

See you tomorrow at the shark shield presentation? Hahaha

Online ryang85

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 09:03:06 PM »

Ive seen a handfull of canarys( i saw mulitple canarys at  spot  before i saw my first verm)
and  ive gotten 4  reds in the last 3 weeks  at 3 different locations so im doing a little better on those stupid fish.
 And ive never  got a box crab myself but have been with people who have on a few different trips, and ive seen a lot more box crab being tacken than WSB so i figured it would be cool to add to the list.   

Offline Rob102

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 09:35:25 PM »
Interesting. In 25 years Iíve never seen a canary. Iíve never even heard of a canary being shot in all that time. The funny thing is, they are difficult for most anglers to tell apart on the surface, so I would guess that at 80+ feet they would look almost identical. Thatís why Iím fairly certain that had I ever seen one, Iíd have shot it, and that would probably go for just about every diver I know.

How is it that you saw canaries before you ever saw Vermillion and you knew the difference?

Online ryang85

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 10:07:15 PM »
Interesting. In 25 years Iíve never seen a canary. Iíve never even heard of a canary being shot in all that time. The funny thing is, they are difficult for most anglers to tell apart on the surface, so I would guess that at 80+ feet they would look almost identical. Thatís why Iím fairly certain that had I ever seen one, Iíd have shot it, and that would probably go for just about every diver I know.

How is it that you saw canaries before you ever saw Vermillion and you knew the difference?
Super obvious below the water, verms are light redish silver, canaries are bright bright yellow almost white, its only this one section of the coast they come up shallow( 40 to 50 feet).

Joe got a few nice ones there this year.  The ones ive seen are usualy hanging out with the blues and were too small to shoot. I did see a 14 incher last year that nearly got shot inside a hole, but i luckily pulled off and gave it a double take. 

They dont come to baitbags, thats probably the issue

Offline BigJim

• Global Moderator
  • No White Flags.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:09 AM »
Iíve seen one tiny Canary once about 3 years ago up in Sonoma at about 45 feet.

It was obvious to me it was a Canary.

You can see him at about 2:44 in this vid:

Offline Adam415

• Freediver
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2017, 05:59:32 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is extending the southern boundary to include all of big sur, san simeon, and cambria. Lots of good rockfish reefs that dont see a lot of pressure.

Offline BigJim

• Global Moderator
  • No White Flags.
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2017, 06:40:58 AM »
The only thing I can suggest is extending the southern boundary to include all of big sur, san simeon, and cambria. Lots of good rockfish reefs that dont see a lot of pressure.

But...but...even Monterey is too far to drive for the Northern guys!

The 15 specie thing is still hard for me to get, the 4 hour drive south vs the 40 minute drive  north  makes me really unmotivated to go south and basically only  have the chance to find a sheep.  Gas isnt very cheep for my pickup.

As someome who primarily shoots fish for meat, its always been difficult for me to head south when i know i can pile  up all  fish i want to eat for the week without the travel.

;)

I'm looking forward to talking shit and complaining in 2018!!!!!  ;D

JK!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:51:43 AM by BigJim »

Offline WildernessMedic

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 07:34:43 AM »

But...but...even Monterey is too far to drive for the Northern guys!

The 15 specie thing is still hard for me to get, the 4 hour drive south vs the 40 minute drive  north  makes me really unmotivated to go south and basically only  have the chance to find a sheep.  Gas isnt very cheep for my pickup.

As someome who primarily shoots fish for meat, its always been difficult for me to head south when i know i can pile  up all  fish i want to eat for the week without the travel.

;)

I'm looking forward to talking shit and complaining in 2018!!!!!  ;D

JK!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

😂😂 Iím sure youíre going to enjoy every second being on the other side.  Speaking of shit talking, is that ďSailĒ in your video Jim? Thatís so original. Deep man. I donít think anyoneís used that before.

Suck it up Ryan. DOTY is about variety and hunting new species. Itís the same situation for people down there that need to drive up. If you shoot fish for meat then do that and donít whine about DOTY being too far.

Youíre lucky it doesnít go further  south where youíd have to find yourself actually hunting WSB, YT etc. Which id personally rather see than shortening it up because you canít expand even to Monterey.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:37:44 AM by WildernessMedic »

Offline BigJim

• Global Moderator
  • No White Flags.
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 07:43:27 AM »

😂😂 Iím sure youíre going to enjoy every second being on the other side.  Speaking of shit talking, is that ďSailĒ in your video Jim? Thatís so original. Deep man. I donít think anyoneís used that before.

LOL!!

I know, I know...in my kinda defense it was several years ago....you know, before everyone else and their mother used it.

;) ??? ::)

LOL!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

ps...I shot two Mullet this year...maybe you should add them?  :P

Offline WildernessMedic

« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2017, 07:46:30 AM »

LOL!!

I know, I know...in my kinda defense it was several years ago....you know, before everyone else and their mother used it.

;) ??? ::)

LOL!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

ps...I shot two Mullet this year...maybe you should add them?  :P
Haha

Come to think of it I did find a moon snail this year too... Hmm....

* The Noob Spearo Podcast  

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt