collapse

Author Topic: DOTY 2018 rule changes.  (Read 4070 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: DOTY 2018 rule changes.
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2017, 09:54:38 AM »
Shouldn’t you be trying for a 200 average? 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2017, 09:58:11 AM »
Dude why the hell do you keep mentioning perch down south
I cant find any big rubber lip perch up north, haha i see like 20" perch on doty and i strugle to find a 16"er.  Its really screwing up my 180 average im trying to hold. Haha unless you want to take to me a trophy norcal perch spot, then ill quit bringing it up.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Alright Ryan no longer counts in DOTY because he actually focuses on perch that much.
😂
Shoot a big rainbow here and call it good.
My personal goal was a 185 average with as many species as possible,  even if i get a low overall number from lacking under 15 i knew i would be satisfied with my quality .

185 is a lot more realistic for me, this year will only be my 3rd year purely spearfishing and not just ab diving with a speargun.  So im no pro yet.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 10:01:34 AM by ryang85 »

Offline the_derek

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2017, 10:04:54 AM »
I like the rules as they are now.

I also like Rob's "1 upgrade per species" that does make it interesting...

I think the boundaries are good.

Maybe the copper points could be adjusted a bit would say (11), as they don't normally get huge.

I also want Striped bass from the rivers... As someone in Sacramento, it would be nice to be able to hunt locally.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline ryang85

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 11:34:29 AM »
Looking a lot like abs can be removed from the list

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 11:50:11 AM »
Since abalone are gone, let’s eliminate all the fish we don’t eat, like perch, greenling, mfe etc.  I know the bar for entry is low but I person  who is eating perch and greenling really needs to broaden their horizons.

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 12:13:07 PM »
I like the rules the way are now. If anything, Id say change it to the top "10" species, the same as AOTY. Hunting as many different species as possible is fun, but, some species take way too long and effort to find.

Also, I don't think changing the rules to only one upgrade is a good idea. One of the funnest things about DOTY is searching for "Upgrades" or that trophy fish. 

I also think too many rules starts to ruin the fun. I think the game and the rules are perfect now, except as everyone has stated, some fish (Sheephead, MFE, Halibut, Coppers, Stripers, WSB) require a lot of effort, local knowledge and time to find, unless they are in your backyard and you hunt them on a regular basis. For your average Joe that dives once or twice a month, and who likes hunting a specific species, such as Vermillion, scallops or lings, then having "10" species total will allow them to dive their regular spots and focus on their primary species.

One thing I thought would be cool would be having an "X" factor bonus points for rarer fish. For example, at the end of the year, anyone who entered a copper would get an extra 10 bonus points to their total. A WSB would offer 50 extra bonus points, etc.

Scoring Scale

WSB 4.5 (+ 50 point bonus)
Olive 9
Vermillion 9
Halibut 5
Lingcod 5
Copper 10 (+ 10 point bonus)
Black 9.5
Gopher/B&Y/China 14
MFE 6.75
Sheepshead 6.5
Kelp 12.5
Perch 11
Cabezon 8
Grass 10
Abalone 19
Greenling 11
Blue 11.5
Rock Scallop 23.5
Striped Bass (from Ocean only) 5 (+ 10 point bonus)
Canary 9 (+ 10 point bonus)

Offline ryang85

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 12:24:06 PM »
I like the rules the way are now. If anything, Id say change it to the top "10" species, the same as AOTY. Hunting as many different species as possible is fun, but, some species take way too long and effort to find.

Also, I don't think changing the rules to only one upgrade is a good idea. One of the funnest things about DOTY is searching for "Upgrades" or that trophy fish. 

I also think too many rules starts to ruin the fun. I think the game and the rules are perfect now, except as everyone has stated, some fish (Sheephead, MFE, Halibut, Coppers, Stripers, WSB) require a lot of effort, local knowledge and time to find, unless they are in your backyard and you hunt them on a regular basis. For your average Joe that dives once or twice a month, and who likes hunting a specific species, such as Vermillion, scallops or lings, then having "10" species total will allow them to dive their regular spots and focus on their primary species.

One thing I thought would be cool would be having an "X" factor bonus points for rarer fish. For example, at the end of the year, anyone who entered a copper would get an extra 10 bonus points to their total. A WSB would offer 50 extra bonus points, etc.

Scoring Scale

WSB 4.5 (+ 50 point bonus)
Olive 9
Vermillion 9
Halibut 5
Lingcod 5
Copper 10 (+ 10 point bonus)
Black 9.5
Gopher/B&Y/China 14
MFE 6.75
Sheepshead 6.5
Kelp 12.5
Perch 11
Cabezon 8
Grass 10
Abalone 19
Greenling 11
Blue 11.5
Rock Scallop 23.5
Striped Bass (from Ocean only) 5 (+ 10 point bonus)
Canary 9 (+ 10 point bonus)
I like that idea of the bonus points.   

except ablone next year will be  super rare and hard to get, +1000.

JK for those who cant take a joke

Offline the_derek

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 12:28:21 PM »
best of 15, and open striped bass to everywhere.

no bonus points.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 05:47:12 PM »
Keep it at 15 but separate BaY, China, and gopher. Also add wolf eel and canary. Other than that, I'm good with the rules.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline DG

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 06:41:45 PM »
I go for a dive and when I get out Abalone season for 2018 is closed and everyone wants to change a bunch of things about DOTY. 

If you have been and want to participate in DOTY please provide actual suggestions on how we can make it better and we will consider all of them prior to the new year. 

If you once participated but no longer do we would love to know why. 

Thinking out loud now

Besides dropping the Abalone for 2018 I am not sure changing to many rules will actually help with participation or help newer divers get to more locations. 

I would like everyone’s opinion on a couple things I am interested in.  I would like to see newer spearos excited about learning how to hunt new species with the guidance of veteran spearfisherman.  So maybe we can add a rookie of the year prize and offer a raffle ticket for any veteran diver who takes out a newer Diver and gives them a little guidance.  I was thinking rookies would be less than one year spearfishing and veterans probably over 3 years.  I don’t believe there would be a big pool but for veteran divers who don’t want to travel all over the place maybe they would help a newer Diver if they had a chance to win a Bluewater trip or something like that. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
Ok DG, besides the reasons I already stated why I quit, let me tell you a little story:

Once upon a time Harold Gibson, Nathan Lee and myself were diving. Harold didn’t have his watch so he asked how deep we were, to which I replied, “55 feet”.  Harold said if I saw any China’s to shoot them for him.  Nathan, still seated on his kayak exclaimed “I’m not diving 55 feet for a one pound fish, I can shoot one pound fish in shallow.  I’m going in.”  I laughed at the time, but you know, he made a lot of sense.

I know I’m a little grumpy at times but I can’t think of a good reason why a person should drive from Fort Bragg to Monterey for a bigger perch. If you can figure that out I’m sure you’ll have a lot of competitors

Offline DG

DOTY 2018 rule changes.
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 08:53:13 PM »
Ok DG, besides the reasons I already stated why I quit, let me tell you a little story:

Once upon a time Harold Gibson, Nathan Lee and myself were diving. Harold didn’t have his watch so he asked how deep we were, to which I replied, “55 feet”.  Harold said if I saw any China’s to shoot them for him.  Nathan, still seated on his kayak exclaimed “I’m not diving 55 feet for a one pound fish, I can shoot one pound fish in shallow.  I’m going in.”  I laughed at the time, but you know, he made a lot of sense.

I know I’m a little grumpy at times but I can’t think of a good reason why a person should drive from Fort Bragg to Monterey for a bigger perch. If you can figure that out I’m sure you’ll have a lot of competitors
Yes you are grumpy sometimes. And at one time just thought you were a dick who liked to cause drama with new divers.  Now I think you are a very knowledgeable Diver and anyone should be honored to learn from you.   They just have to turn on the Rob filter when you go on a rant. 

I have drove to Big Sur for a sheephead but rarely took anything else unless someone I was with wanted the fish.  For me it’s worth the drive if the visibility sucks up north and I just want to fish a different area and be able to see what I am after.  There is no way Fishing or Diving is ever going to save you money on food.  I do love to eat what I shoot but more so enjoy the time in the water and Diving new locations is part of that.  People drive out of state for deer, elk or other things they are interested in.  It’s the same for fishing and that unfortunately costs money. 

You really can’t make everyone happy.  And I would prefer to go south and enjoy my dive than to have to upgrade fish by the 1/4”.  I have shot MFE, Olives and Coppers up north so really stripers and sheaphead are the only reason you have to make the drive and with the top 15 rule you don’t have to.  But you do have to put in time learning where these species are up north. 

If you were to compete and put in the time I am sure you would win.  So we would probably get less participation if you did it . 

The description on the DOTY site is:

“DOTY is meant to be fun and encourage safe and enjoyable diving practices. It is however, a skill based, individual competition, and an excellent tool to help hone your hunting abilities”

Your skills are honed.  This is why I think new divers can benefit from participating.  They have to look up what others have posted.  Some post locations and others post depths.  Each time I looked at the DOTY page I was learning the species and possible depths and locations to check.  Seeing that not all of one species looked the same especially out of water was a great learning tool. 

I had a horrible start at spearfishing where I didn’t know anyone who did it and was completely lost.  I had to much weight and got myself into some crazy predicaments.  I would love to keep newer divers from going through the same thing I did. 

Plus I have 3 grandsons now and as they get older I would hope JDOTY is still around to help them build their skills if they so desired.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 08:56:19 PM by DG »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 10:10:42 PM »
Sorry, I thought you wanted feedback

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 11:57:07 PM »
I just said why I quit. I’m sure there are other guys who don’t compete for the same reasons. I am only telling you because you have the ability to make changes that may get you more involvement. If you don’t care about that and you want to make it a legit diver of the year comp, open it up and make everyone go to SoCal too, or keep it the same. Personally I don’t care, I was just offering suggestions to the new guys in charge. My last year I was a judge with a Jim and I spent over $7000 on DOTY and I couldn’t keep up with the guys to the south of me. I have zero interest in participating in the comp, but I do think there is room to level the playing field so that the new guys that you supposedly want to encourage actually have a chance of winning. Because if they don’t, the only reason to enter is to donate and maybe get big fish. I do think it’s a fun comp as it is so do with it as you will. It seems like you guys like it just the way it is which is fine, so why bother asking for suggestions?  Don’t bother answering, I think we are all done trying to explain our points of view.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2017, 02:06:06 AM »
I think you will have more participation if everyone doesn’t have to go to Monterey. If you live in Monterey you don’t have to travel at all because all the species are there. If you live in Mendo you have to go south for several species. It’s not fair that a guy down south goes in his backyard and does an upgrade weekly forcing a guy from the north to travel his ass off to keep up. But if you take top ten you can still explore but you aren’t dependent on traveling and it doesn’t break the bank. Every time I go to Monterey I have to stay in a hotel or pull a trailer. That was expensive.  But the Monterey guys come up once for abalone which left them with one sub 200 point “fish”. Now they don’t have to come up at all but the northern guys have to travel how many times to find a 200 Point Sheep’s Head, mfe, perch, kelpy, olive, halibut, White Sea Bass (Amadeo was the only submission), and copper. While it’s true that some of these fish can be found in more northern waters, they are smaller and rare while they are abundant in the south. So it’s slanted towards southern divers. If you allowed all legal fish but only counted the top ten it would level the field and maybe there would be more participation.

On the other hand if you really want everyone to learn to hunt all the fish, why don’t you allow all of the SoCal fish and force everyone to travel to be competitive? 

Regardless of what you decide, the name of this thread is rule changes. That’s why I made suggestions, but all I was met with was how someone likes to dive and why they think it shouldn’t change. I really don’t care what you decide because it doesn’t pertain to me, I was only offering suggestions.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt