collapse

Author Topic: Chumming  (Read 820 times)

Offline apeaenlightened

Chumming
« on: November 15, 2017, 11:08:08 PM »
Hey guys quick Question and most importantly did/does it work. Do you guys chum the water while spearfishing? I think a bag of frozen shrimp and abb guts sure would get the attention from all types of fish out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Chumming
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 11:40:42 PM »
These are rockfish. They move around about as much as the rocks. If you want to enjoy the hunt and learn how to spearfish, don’t use bait. Just swim until you find the fish. Then start shooting them. If you want Ling Cod, look for scars on the blacks and blues. If they have scars start looking in the holes for Ling Cod. If you want any particular fish just find the type of ground that they like and start hunting.

On the other hand, bait is legal and it will effectively attract the nearby fish. So if you want to get a bunch of fish, feed the neighbors, if you love cleaning fish for hours or you just want to look like a hero in your pics, use bait. Just do yourself a favor. Don’t shoot a couple big Ling Cod off a bait bag and brag about your fishing or diving prowess. It takes zero skill, talent or ability.

Besides, you can only eat so much fish and trust me, you’re going end up with a freezer full.

My advice would be to save your bait money and buy a good light.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 11:59:13 PM by Rob102 »

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2017, 05:51:59 AM »
Rob102, thanks bro. I’ve been doing well so far and I’m getting better and better every time I’m out there. Not going to say I’ve been getting trophy fish or anything like that but what I had on my mind when I thought chum was mainly sheeps head. I used to catch them in Texas and even though it was diff it’s delicious. But I see your point and definitely see how it will be way more compensating by simply hunting and getting to that level with time rather then jumping in an aquarium with fish.

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2017, 05:55:52 AM »
Hope you didn’t take any offense to me trying the easy route. And also I’ve limited out on fish/ Dungeness and close to getting a one mans limit on rock crab with a couple friends and family members help. And not ones have I put fish in the refrigerator for more than a week. I have a big family so every time I catch something it’s eaten up really quick

Offline DG

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2017, 07:13:55 AM »
Just a personal preference.  I don’t use bait bags or shoot fish on scuba.  Just makes it way to easy.  I have used scallop guts or fish parts to attract crabs.  You can leave them and check on the way back in and grab some crabs without much effort. 

I have been told a pole spear can help teach hunting tactics and how to make less noise in the water.

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 07:17:51 AM »
For sure DG I’ve never done scuba but I’ve always said I wouldn’t feel right shooting a fish while scuba if I were to do it. And I see how chumming would very much be almost the same still not much sport in it.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 07:34:08 AM »
I absolutely don’t take offense to using bait. I don’t give it any weight.  I have tried it but I just didn’t like it. Swimming around in small circles waiting for a Ling Cod to come out wasn’t very rewarding. Diving and exploring are what I’m there for, shooting fish or taking abalone and scallops is just an excuse to go diving. If you get in the habit of using bait you’ll feel like you always need it, but you don’t.  Pelagic fish are a different story.

As for Sheep’s Head, you won’t find any north of Monterey, but if you want to attract them scratch a rock. Find a spot with a lot of fish, preferably where you see a Sheep’s Head and conceal yourself on the bottom or behind a rock and practice your aspettos.

I have always recommended that beginners start with a pole spear. First and foremost, it’s difficult to shoot yourself or your partner, although you can jab yourself in the head if you surface directly below your float. Second, it teaches you the art of stalking and getting close for good shots.

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2017, 07:53:07 AM »
Damn Rob102 bad ass advice all around sir thank you. I have a pole spear at home but have been using my gun mainly I feel I have to get familiar with what fish likes what habitat depth and behavior. As to when surge is rough etc but over all you’ve helped greatly thank you🤙🏼

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 10:17:12 AM »
All that matters is your enjoying what you are doing while doing it and if it is legal do not let others judge you, it is all about enjoying one self while out there , what ever your choice is bait or no bait ! it is all about fun ! to much judging / criticizing  jealousy hatting starting to happen in our sport !

JUST HAVE FUN !!!!!
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 10:31:37 AM »
All that matters is your enjoying what you are doing while doing it and if it is legal do not let others judge you, it is all about enjoying one self while out there , what ever your choice is bait or no bait ! it is all about fun ! to much judging / criticizing  jealousy hatting starting to happen in our sport !

JUST HAVE FUN !!!!!

Thanks Matt I’ll take everyone’s opinion into consideration but at the end of the day your right it is about enjoying ourselves.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt