collapse

Author Topic: I'm burned out on NorCal fish  (Read 3417 times)

Offline DG

Re: I'm burned out on NorCal fish
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 12:46:13 PM »

When is this red day ?  ;D
You want to be invited? 

Not this weekend so probably first good day after Abalone season closes.

Offline mtitch12

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2017, 02:40:52 PM »

You want to be invited? 

I'm in!  ;D if you guys want some more company that is... haha

Ceviche is my go to when I get tired of cooked RF
Only need 3 more years and I'll be able to think like a fish.

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/MattTitchenal

Offline the_derek

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2017, 03:16:00 PM »

You want to be invited? 

Na, I just want Ryan to get some.. I would not want to shoot any that he might want :)
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline DG

I'm burned out on NorCal fish
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2017, 04:45:41 PM »

Na, I just want Ryan to get some.. I would not want to shoot any that he might want
You are full of crap.  Guess we will just have to find a school of red so everyone can get one. 

Offline ryang85

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2017, 07:13:59 PM »

Na, I just want Ryan to get some.. I would not want to shoot any that he might want
You are full of crap.  Guess we will just have to find a school of red so everyone can get one.
I told you about that ling chomping on my rockfish down in carmel like a year ago, so any red or ling over 15 pounds you see is reserved for me haha.

Its only been 2 years of searching, im about to take a can of red spray paint to a big black and let it go, then shoot it again amd call it good.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 07:19:20 PM by ryang85 »

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2017, 08:21:28 PM »

You want to be invited? 

So are you saying we need a zodiac to do this dive safely?
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline dank

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2017, 08:27:05 AM »
Jim’s suggestions are good ones, especially regarding smoking. Smoked fish, while delicious on its own, is like an entirely different ingredient. Try making a smoked fish salad and eat it with potatoes or as a sandwich.

Also, I’ve found it best to scale the fish and leave the skin when smoking so the subcutaneous fat melts into the flesh.

Other suggestions I have would be to check out the fish ball recipe I posted a while back. That’s a really good one either in soup or pan fried.

Scandinavian style fish balls are almost identical but have a different flavor profile.

I usually look towards Scandinavian recipes and various types of Chinese preparations when it comes to trying new fish recipes. The variety there is pretty much infinite.

There’s also the classic Sicilian recipe of spaghetti with sardines, fennel and breadcrumbs (and sometimes raisins). Just substitute the sardines with whatever you catch. I like this one a lot and it’s a quick preparation.

I wish there was an oily fish that we could land regularly. I love oily fish.

Finally, once the annual mussel quarantine is lifted soon you can eat those to your heart’s content. Easy to capture, too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hamachijohn

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2017, 04:48:32 PM »
How about stir fry with garlic sauce, or black bean sauce? Add a veggie in there (mushrooms), and over rice... You can get different flavors by doing different sauces... but I'm guessing you've already done that.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 03:48:16 AM »
Between the Oregon monster rock fish and my endless stringers in Monterey (I am not shooting anymore until I empty them
Out of the freezer) my family is officially burned on the Rocks. Some good ideas in here. Glad that crab season is coming and that me and DG found some pig lobsters on Poseidon's Assassin!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chopper

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2017, 07:54:12 AM »
Some great suggestions in here. On the smoking front I've used mine to make ling jerky -- just slice it a little thinner so  you can get it to dry out and be chewy. Love it.

Cheers,
Brad

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt