collapse

Author Topic: PFI and FII instructor/class recommendations  (Read 3613 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: PFI and FII instructor/class recommendations
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2017, 10:26:44 AM »
Let's back up a little on these blackouts.

Having a blackout can be caused from many reasons, most of them negative. However, I think it is a positive in the case of an instructor under supervision to hold their breath to the point of blackout. This act can teach them what the onset of swb feels like and what signs/symptoms to be aware of, teach them that they are not invincible, and show them just how easy it is to push ourselves beyond our safe limits.

If your instructor knows and respects his limits he can teach you in relative safety. If he doesn't know he may very well push himself too far making repeated dives with multiple students without the necessary surface interval and possibly kill himself and his student.

Offline ji

« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2017, 06:48:36 PM »
Let's back up a little on these blackouts.

Having a blackout can be caused from many reasons, most of them negative. However, I think it is a positive in the case of an instructor under supervision to hold their breath to the point of blackout. This act can teach them what the onset of swb feels like and what signs/symptoms to be aware of, teach them that they are not invincible, and show them just how easy it is to push ourselves beyond our safe limits.

If your instructor knows and respects his limits he can teach you in relative safety. If he doesn't know he may very well push himself too far making repeated dives with multiple students without the necessary surface interval and possibly kill himself and his student.

Thank you,

Here is a link some of you may want to read about Kirk Krack and PFI. He told the class a little about Tanya Streeter and a swb she experienced as her husband witnessed. 
These people train and dive on the edge of human endurance, safety was paramount! Enough said

http://fathomlessfreediving.com/about-me/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 06:55:47 PM by ji »

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2017, 11:17:08 AM »
Kris is offering a class at the end of this month:

http://www.freedivinginstructors.com/fii/courses_by/kris.cortez

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline apeaenlightened

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2017, 06:55:46 AM »
Yeah bro I took my class with Kris Kortez definitely worth it, a lot of patience and explained everything with great detail. He even lend me his carbon fins. Which I liked a lot and have my own pair now.. REAL cool guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2017, 03:17:47 PM »
I have taken a class with Bobby Kim. He is an excellent instructor.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline JimK59

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2017, 07:53:11 AM »
I have taken a class with Bobby Kim. He is an excellent instructor.
Thanks for all the input. I liked the view that you practice with the equipment and learn in the environment you dive in i.e. 7mm wetsuits and low visibility.  I signed up in Monterey with Mr Addison. Looking forwards too learning more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lawtalkingguy

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »
A few of us on this board have taken PFI with Drew Rapoport, who is an excellent instructor and goes above and beyond.  Drew teaches out of Sonoma Coast Divers in Rohnert Park; classes are usually held in Santa Rosa or Petaluma and the Sonoma Coast.

Offline Dennis

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 03:58:22 PM »
Just wanted to chime in about Kris Kortez's class through RTS, took his level 1 last year and had a blast and met some other cool spearos. Definitely recommend taking the class even if you are comfortable in the water. Hit some nice PRs during the class as well so that was awesome =)

Much of what I learned from the class carried over to my dives now and it's made me a lot more confident/conscious when diving with other people. Worth the money!

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 05:19:33 PM »
I took a class with an instructor from the Bay Area, was not impressed. Ask around is all I'm saying, before you put down your money.  Definitely want to take a class with Kris I have heard great things!!!!!
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline the_derek

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 10:25:58 AM »
I took a class with an instructor from the Bay Area, was not impressed. Ask around is all I'm saying, before you put down your money.  Definitely want to take a class with Kris I have heard great things!!!!!

From what I have taken, and heard... FII is the way to go.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 11:11:06 AM »

It was a PFI course, I got more out of reading this book.

"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline shaun614

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 03:23:35 PM »

It was a PFI course, I got more out of reading this book.

I have that same book lol. +1 on Kris' class, good training instructor that covered a lot of areas. Safety, technique, and physiology. You can find a lot of stuff online but actually taking his course and applying what was covered in open water really accelerates your abilities. I still remember going to that class with some snorkeling fins and a high volume mask lol.. but kris lended me his gear which made me never look back and i ended up getting my own stuff.. i believe F.I.I. is one of the best freediving courses one can take and highly benefit from.. good luck on choosing OP
"Wherever you go, there you are."

Offline kodama

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2017, 01:12:46 AM »
Took the FII class level 1 with Kris Cortez about a year ago. It was really good and have recommended it to anyone since.
Rob hits the nail spot on with pointing out how important it is to train in the conditions you will be diving in!!!
During the course in Monterey I didn't pass because of equalization issues. Nonetheless I learned a lot and was hooked. Came back to Europe and started training with a local freediving club and have been spearfishing in the Mediterranean Sea and the North Atlantic coast. On my way to level 4 now.
Kris is a good teacher who really sparked a deep interest and I was happy to start diving in cold water of NorCall, similar to what we have here. One important tip: work out your equalization issues BEFORE you take a course. Ask help from a instructor if you need it. Some people like myself need more than a day or two to learn proper Frenzel.

Can't wait to dive the NorCall coast again where water is cold and fish are big and plenty.

Sent from the abyss

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt