collapse

Author Topic: First Bluewater gun build  (Read 767 times)

Online ryang85

First Bluewater gun build
« on: September 12, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
After my first Bluewater trip a few weeks back, ive finaly decided i needed a real gun.  Ive been thinking about  speargun building for a while and decided now was the time to start so i had winter nights to work on it.  My 115 pathos sniper was awsome in the reefs but no way would i want to take it out for big game fish, a pipe gun wouldnt get the job done and i wanted all the power and range i can get. I figured i need to have a heavier gun to absorb the recoil but at the same time i know the importance of perfect ballasting.  After a lot of online research and constantly texting ablonejoe,  ive got a style in mind and i think ive got a solid idea of what i want.
 65" Padeuk and teak laminate,  enlosed 72" mori shaft,  neptonics tuna mech, probably going to add some 1" long tuna, dorado, and whatever i can make inlays made of ablone shell, and a hand carved handle.

Teak for durabilitly,  perfect density and strength, and the padeuk for the nice look. So i spent over an hour searching through piles of lumber to find the perfect peices and got pretty distracted by a awsome peice of flatsawn zebra wood, but it was 12 feet long of 8/4 thickness with a 750 dollar price tag,  being in college and short on money i had to stick with what i planned,    deffiantly going to find some flatsawn zebra wood for a different build another day down the road

Got home and cut them up last week and glued them up today  using west systems 105 and 207,  still got a few months until the fun starts.  I will probably be getting ahold of all of the gun builders when the time comes. Mike N and Joe can expect some questions around thanksgiving.  Mike N.'s epoxy job( and entire gun)  is bullet proof on my little midhandle and looks like new after being tossed in the rocks for over a year now,  so im curious to find out if it was phil. H epoxy or G flex for the coating.   

« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 10:55:28 PM by ryang85 »

Offline DG

Re: First Bluewater gun build
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 07:38:35 AM »
It's a great start.  Hope it works out and allows you to expand your fish species. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline the_derek

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2017, 09:05:03 AM »
Ill take one Ryan.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2017, 10:56:37 AM »
Looks good Ryan.  Use more clamps next time.  Be prepared to add lots of lead, teak is very buoyant.

Check out Resin Research.  I used it to finish your gun.

MN

Online ryang85

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2017, 12:17:46 PM »
Looks good Ryan.  Use more clamps next time.  Be prepared to add lots of lead, teak is very buoyant.

Check out Resin Research.  I used it to finish your gun.

MN
I had 5 more of these heavy duty plastic clamps  i thought would help, turns out they were useless so i wish i got more c clamps,  i put the metal bar so i could really crank down on what i had,  there were no gaps between the wood from what i could see so hoepfully it will be fine, 

I plan smelting a lot of  half inch lead cylinders for making up for it.

and  i will look into that epoxy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Online ryang85

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:20:43 PM »
Finally starting to lot less like a chunk of wood and more like a speargun, 

Surprisingly a lot more warp than expected, almost a 1/8 inch hump in the middle and an annoying twist, luckily i was able to run it through the jointer and get it all straightend out to the 1/64 of an inch.
 Routed it out and fought the neptonics enclosed track into my routed track with a lot of hand sanding.  Ended up being as straight down to the .001 inch according to my calipers.

Got the mech in and started sanding the sides down to be able to get the line relase and trigger to stick out enough. 

Made my first mistake and drilled the pin for the line release in the wrong spot and it couldnt swing open enough, not sure how im going to fix it but it shoudnt be a huge deal with some epoxy and sanding,     
 My belt sander started to tear so i have a ton of smoothing and straightening things out after a get a new belt . 

Also stopped in windsor and picked up a       nice peice of walnut and wenge for the next project,
Going to start  a 45" double roller soon.

Mike N. Made a mid handle  for me out of wenge and it is slowely darkening with age and finaly turned fully black, one of my favorite wood types. Just heard it was a little bit more difficult to work with.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2017, 10:24:16 PM by ryang85 »

Offline 123ENGINEERING

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:01:00 PM »
Looks nice.
After you are done with it, please bring it with you for me check it out.
I will give it a detail inspection.....

Offline DG

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2017, 10:10:53 PM »
Looking good. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online ryang85

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2017, 10:30:20 PM »
Looks nice.
Dont look too closely,  my goal was accuracy and i got that down with the router table,   but my chiselling and dremel skills are pretty crappy at this point so it might have a few mess ups when im done.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 09:18:29 AM »
Looks nice.
Dont look too closely,  my goal was accuracy and i got that down with the router table,   but my chiselling and dremel skills are pretty crappy at this point so it might have a few mess ups when im done.

Looking good kid... Can't wait for you to make me one  ;)
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Online ryang85

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 09:38:58 AM »
Looks nice.

Once i get the protoype done i may be offering some deals

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline dank

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:51 PM »
Looks really good so far! I can't wait to see it get some action.

Offline John

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:51:47 PM »
Looks nice.

One of a kind
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 02:17:54 PM »
Miller dowels, size 1x and mini, work well to  plug errant holes.  Epoxy them in, trim and sand.  Size 1x is also good to use on blanks to guard against delamination.    I put a couple behind the band slot, and one every foot or so along the length. 

http://www.millerdowel.com/index.html

MN

Offline 123ENGINEERING

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2017, 03:12:22 PM »
Looks nice.

Once i get the protoype done i may be offering some deals

Hope you don't spend all you time making things at home. :D  You can make them after you get your civil engineering degree and PE license.  I notiece that engineering schools are getting more difficult to get in these days.

* The Noob Spearo Podcast  

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt