collapse

Author Topic: Watermens Alliance Urchin Removal Project  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Joshua R.

Watermens Alliance Urchin Removal Project
« on: August 21, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »
This year 100% of the proceeds from the Randy Fry event will go towards urchin removal from the Fort Bragg area.  I have a commercial diver who will work two divers a full day for $500.  Watermen's Alliance does not pay it's officers or charge any kind of admin fee so every $500 we raise will work two commercial divers a full day clearing approximately 2,000 square feet per day.  Depending on how much we raise, we might buy another compressor allowing him to work 3 divers for the same price able to clear 3,000 square feet per day.

This will be an ongoing project for the Watermen's Alliance so there will be money coming from other sources to continue the project and I have another project in the works as well I'm just waiting on permits.

Josh

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Watermens Alliance Urchin Removal Project
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 08:08:39 AM »
Awesome !!! Like we have discussed on the phone Josh keep me posted to as what I can do and NCUH and its members can do to help out.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 09:40:50 PM »
Big shout out and a thank you to Red Triangle Spearfishing for donating the first $1,000 to the urchin removal project.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 06:08:16 AM »
That's awesome!!! Thank you red triangle Spearfishing

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 08:04:26 AM »
I can't make the Randy Fry event this year. Can you post a link to somewhere people can donate to The Watermens Alliance Urchin Removal Project?

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2017, 08:33:37 AM »
You can make checks out to Watermen's Alliance and mail them to:

521 Arroyo Grande Lane
Suisun City, CA 94585

Or just register for the tournament even though you don't intend to show up.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2017, 10:58:29 AM »
Why doesn't everyone just carry a chipping hammer and knock a little hole in them when they are diving? 

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2017, 11:57:54 AM »
I like that idea, Rob!

MN

Offline BoneSaw

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 05:23:20 PM »
I smash a good amount every time I go out, almost to the point I end up chopping urchins with my ab iron sideways more than fishing! I always laugh at the comment when people say I shouldn't do that because it spawns them... "Right, I'd much rather leave them alive to spawn naturally year after year..."

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 07:58:09 AM »
The concern about smashing them is that it spreads gametes. I'm writing Cynthia to get her opinion.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline the_derek

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 08:59:36 AM »
The concern about smashing them is that it spreads gametes. I'm writing Cynthia to get her opinion.

I would like to see what she says.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2017, 09:36:44 AM »
She's out of the office til Monday

Offline Ptown707

"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 12:00:23 PM »
instead of smashing them how about just a stab with the dive knife to kill it, one small hole might be another option to smashing them

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 02:39:10 PM »

I would like to see what she says.

I heard back from Cynthia. Here's some of what she had to say:

"Urchin smashing is efficient, but large-scale smashing may have consequences for the ecosystem that warrants a bit of caution and strategy.  By smashing the urchins, we may be artificially spawning them and we are also adding some free food to the system which may throw fish predator populations out of balance for a bit."

She added that if smashing urchins takes place it should happen, "during the time of year and in locations where gonad development is very low (late Spring / early Summer)"

She stresses that, "... the most important thing to emphasize is that a coordinated and strategic effort will be the most effective in the long run, rather than isolated efforts that are not necessarily sustained over time.  I also want to highlight the need to document the efforts as well as documenting the long term effectiveness toward supporting algal growth and other key species in the ecosystem (including abalone, urchins, and fish species)."

She's happy to participate in a discussion meeting to plan out the strategies for urchin control efforts and for surveys.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt