collapse

Author Topic: Commission meeting Wednesday the 16th  (Read 991 times)

Offline Joshua R.

Commission meeting Wednesday the 16th
« on: August 11, 2017, 05:54:12 PM »
Huge restrictions being proposed at the commission meeting Wednesday in Sacramento. Possibly closing most if not all of Sonoma and heavily restricting Mendocino to control effort shift. Daily and annual limits being discussed as well as reducing the number of tags sold. Pay attention. Show up if you can.

Offline CabKing65

• Cast Iron -BrautWurst Beer PoleSpear-Mako 60CM
    • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8Yhf4PMTgw
Re: Commission meeting Wednesday the 16th
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »
Commission
Resources Building
Auditorium, First Floor
1416 Ninth Street
Sacramento, CA 95814

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2017/index.aspx
August 16, 2017
Wednesday 8:00 a.m.

How the hell can the working man and women show up. Its like they Rigg it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:25:15 PM by CabKing65 »
AKA SnowKing, 

If You want the Freedom to Dive again!  Never dive with out a Freedom Dive Knife!

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »
Josh what time and address? Thank you for what you do

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 06:53:06 AM »
   How the hell can the working man and women show up. Its like they Rigg it.

It's frustrating, for sure. But for a number of reasons they pretty much have their hands tied. But there are a number of other ways the department could make it more practical for the public to give informed and timely comment.

At the last MRC meeting Commissioner Sklar asked the public to submit comments and ideas to the commission. He stated a need for help from the public. The decisions they're facing are difficult and I believe the commission is very sincere in their request.

However, the way the process currently works, the public is not getting the necessary information to make well informed comment - the kind of comments that go beyond expressions of concern, anger or well-intentioned but often impractical suggestions. It's very important that the public do those things, but the commission would benefit far more from public comment that is constructed upon a better foundation of knowledge.

It's for reasons like the above that The Marine Life Management Act (MLMA) declares the need for a "high degree of ongoing communication".  This simply hasn't been happening to any degree of consequence. The MLMA also states that the commission and department shall do periodic reviews of operations with a view to improving communication.

To relieve some of the frustration that's been expressed about meeting times, etc. the DFW should start one of those periodic reviews.

Not long ago I asked the department when the last review took place. Go figure, I never got an answer.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 09:48:08 AM by Duckfoot »
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline MATT MATTISON

• They call me Ricky Bobby !!!
  • Administrator
  • Diving the second best wet pleasure !!!
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
Update from yesterday's abalone meeting in Sacramento,  from josh Russo No decision was made regarding Abalone at the Fish and Game Commission meeting yesterday. The density transects hit closure triggers in four out of four index sites surveyed. Two in Sonoma and two in Mendo. The department had to recommend full closure of the fishery based on the ARMP. The commission had already said that they do not want to close the fishery and would do so only as a last resort with no other alternatives so the department gave a list of management options: Full closure, limit daily and annual take, limit card sales, open Fort Ross to ease pressure on other sites, increase size limit. The commission will make a motion based on these options at the October meeting in Atascadero. Basically I'd suggest writing the commission and ask them to do anything to avoid full closure. If you have a preference of these management methods I'd state that as well.

We need to do what ever it takes to keep the fishery open
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS

Offline MATT MATTISON

• They call me Ricky Bobby !!!
  • Administrator
  • Diving the second best wet pleasure !!!
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 02:33:32 PM »
My 2 cents and rant of the day on the current abalone situation, there is so much to this whole situation bad management over management, to touch on the current issue and topic yes there is something going on but the sky is not falling !!! and the problem is not caused by human impact it is a nature problem, as we all know there are areas that have definite reason for concern issues but there is still lots of coast that is healthy with no signs of issues or problems. Yes we have little trust if Ca DFW !! my question is why are we not doing something to combat and help the situation instead of just thinking by reducing take and or closing it will fix it cause it will not !!! We need to start taking action and removing the purple urchin but DFW has to back us on that and work with us on it. I have dived for these sea snails all my life that started when I was 5 so I have seen things come and go and change thus why I feel comfortable and confident saying all this. THE KEY HERE ALL IS TO DO WHAT EVER IT TAKES TO KEEP THE FISHERY OPEN !!! ONCE IT CLOSE KISS IT GOOD BY FOREVER
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 02:49:59 PM »
DFW apparently looked into removing urchins but couldn't figure out what to do with them. Disposal became an issue they couldn't address. And as of yet there hasn't been a commercial market for them. But you have a good question - The department has not asked divers to take their limits of urchins. I wonder what percentage of card holders would at least take some urchins if not limits if asked to do so, and would this be anywhere near enough to put a realistic dent in the problem?

Now try to get an INFORMED opinion from the department. Good luck, Bro.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 04:11:57 PM »
We need to plant starfish!

MN

Offline Rob102

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 04:57:22 PM »
DFW apparently looked into removing urchins but couldn't figure out what to do with them. Disposal became an issue they couldn't address. And as of yet there hasn't been a commercial market for them. But you have a good question - The department has not asked divers to take their limits of urchins. I wonder what percentage of card holders would at least take some urchins if not limits if asked to do so, and would this be anywhere near enough to put a realistic dent in the problem?

The lack of market for purples is obvious. They are starving too. There is no roe in them. The sheer volume of them is staggering. The expense to remove them would have to be borne by someone. The urchin divers can't afford it, the divers won't pay it and the state certainly won't allocate money from the general fund. Hopefully the abalone can last longer without food than the urchin.

I do agree that there are places with kelp and there are healthy abalone to be found as well. Unfortunately this isn't the case in the transect areas and that is what is going to determine (correctly or incorrectly) the overall health and population density of the fishery.

The longer the biologists stonewall you Jack, the more inclined the commission will be to follow their suggestion to close.  Since there is nothing that anyone can do to change ocean conditions which the root cause of the decline, and there is no single or even multi faceted system of management controls that will change the course, I expect that the commission will implement every possible thing they can to prevent closure, this year. But we will be out of options next year and it would be irresponsible of the commission to allow the population to crash while leaving the the fishery open.

That's my two cents.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 05:28:14 PM »

The lack of market for purples is obvious. They are starving too. There is no roe in them. The sheer volume of them is staggering. The expense to remove them would have to be borne by someone. The urchin divers can't afford it, the divers won't pay it and the state certainly won't allocate money from the general fund. Hopefully the abalone can last longer without food than the urchin.

I do agree that there are places with kelp and there are healthy abalone to be found as well. Unfortunately this isn't the case in the transect areas and that is what is going to determine (correctly or incorrectly) the overall health and population density of the fishery.

The longer the biologists stonewall you Jack, the more inclined the commission will be to follow their suggestion to close.  Since there is nothing that anyone can do to change ocean conditions which the root cause of the decline, and there is no single or even multi faceted system of management controls that will change the course, I expect that the commission will implement every possible thing they can to prevent closure, this year. But we will be out of options next year and it would be irresponsible of the commission to allow the population to crash while leaving the the fishery open.

That's my two cents.

yeah, I have spoken with game wardens and they are pretty sure that abalone will be closed next year.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2017, 05:52:09 PM »
And here's another little ditty - I just had a conversation with a person involved on the science end of fishery management and he said that pressure changes can cause urchins to spawn. So the potential is there that as you remove urchins you're helping them spawn. I have no idea how accurate this is, but... yeah. Great. What to do?

Offline gabbert

• chillin' the most
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2017, 06:57:40 PM »

That's my two cents.

yeah, I have spoken with game wardens and they are pretty sure that abalone will be closed next year.

That'd be a cryin' shame.

Gubment rarely gives back what it takes away.

Offline gsharp

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2017, 07:00:05 PM »
It is not as though Bill Bernard never warned us.
Glen Sharp

Offline DG

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2017, 07:08:06 PM »
I saw somewhere they had a vacuum that would suck the little buggers off the rocks.  Yeah they would need to be shipped to a large property where they could be composted. 

I would donate to the urchin divers to test it.  Shoot If someone could figure out somewhere to dump them and had access to the vacuum I would take a few shifts. 

Maybe just get a giant grinder and crush them and take them to the depths.  If it was a fine grind other creatures could eat them and it should keep them from reproducing. 

I actually remember someone at a meeting last year saying he was from So Cal but was willing to take truck loads of purples for composting. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2017, 07:35:58 PM »
I actually remember someone at a meeting last year saying he was from So Cal but was willing to take truck loads of purples for composting. 

That reminds me - it may have been him that gave me his card at that meeting. I should call and see what came of his offer.

* North Coast Swells

Go to wavewatch.com for your local surf forecasts

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt