collapse

Author Topic: What are the strippers doing in the rivers?  (Read 2473 times)

Offline BoneSaw

What are the strippers doing in the rivers?
« on: July 09, 2017, 11:53:18 PM »
Real curious on what the stripers are doing in the rivers.. Used to work at a steelhead and salmon hatchery, and they only reason a saltwater fish comes up a fresh water river is to spawn. Is that what's going down with the stripers? Are they consuming themselves for food and degrading rapidly like a steelhead? The difference between a silver steelhead and a colored one in the frying pan is huge. Colors can be mushy, muddy, overall far less quality than a silver fresh from the ocean. Any way to tell the difference with the stripers? My buddy in Sac found a friend who nails them every time they go diving, and my friend makes like ceviche and grills them medium rare... Kinda worries me with a river fish compared to an ocean fish, just because of what I know about steelhead.

If anyone has some knowledge on the subject I'd love to hear about it!

Besides the hassle of hiding his spear shafts in boat paddles due to the weapon charge issue, and the hassle of swimming on the far side of the river with 20 hook and line guys swearing at you, it sounds like a blast!!! Buddy's mentor shot a 30lb one and homeboy shot a 33inch 16lb one on his 2nd time out. Seems alike a great option when the oceans torn up!

Appreciate the feedback! 🤘🏻🐟🔫

Offline the_derek

Re: What are the strippers doing in the rivers?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2017, 08:47:11 AM »
Real curious on what the stripers are doing in the rivers.. Used to work at a steelhead and salmon hatchery, and they only reason a saltwater fish comes up a fresh water river is to spawn. Is that what's going down with the stripers? Are they consuming themselves for food and degrading rapidly like a steelhead? The difference between a silver steelhead and a colored one in the frying pan is huge. Colors can be mushy, muddy, overall far less quality than a silver fresh from the ocean. Any way to tell the difference with the stripers? My buddy in Sac found a friend who nails them every time they go diving, and my friend makes like ceviche and grills them medium rare... Kinda worries me with a river fish compared to an ocean fish, just because of what I know about steelhead.

If anyone has some knowledge on the subject I'd love to hear about it!

Besides the hassle of hiding his spear shafts in boat paddles due to the weapon charge issue, and the hassle of swimming on the far side of the river with 20 hook and line guys swearing at you, it sounds like a blast!!! Buddy's mentor shot a 30lb one and homeboy shot a 33inch 16lb one on his 2nd time out. Seems alike a great option when the oceans torn up!

Appreciate the feedback!

They seem to be swimming and having a blast in the river .... lol..

Some stay in the river all year long, some go up and feed on the steelhead and Salmon hatch then return to the ocean. They seem to taste the same to me, not mushy. I have been in the river many times and have not had an issue with hook and line guys, just be safe, the river is full of crap and with the high water early in the year.. there are a lot of new strainers to get caught up on.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 08:52:11 AM by the_derek »
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline gabbert

• chillin' the most
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 08:52:50 AM »
They spawn in sweet water, but spend most of their adult lives in salt.

We hook and line some real monsters during fall and winter when they run here in the delta.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 08:57:02 AM »

We hook and line some real monsters during fall and winter when they run here in the delta.

sweet water  :D

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Online TW

• daleshark
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2017, 03:22:49 PM »
There are plenty of resident stripers in the river by my house. Like mentioned before.
I think some of them take residence and wait for the hatch. Don't really know how many stay or go back to the ocean.
Next time I see Bio fish biologist I'll ask them about it since they monitor that river.
I've seen people on occasion bow fishing and spearfishing on the Stanislaus River.

Offline gabbert

• chillin' the most
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 06:07:12 PM »

sweet water  :D

That's what grandad always called it.

:D

Offline BoneSaw

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2017, 01:37:51 AM »
Appreciate the info! 🤗🤘🏻

Offline John

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2017, 09:01:58 AM »
Been there a handful of times. Got assaulted my a pddleborder, harassed by obese rod fisherman... not worth another trip back to me. Maybe up the feather but not the American where there are a bunch of people.

Didn't know about the Feather River. Thanks for the tip!
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2017, 01:56:05 PM »
The title of this thread is frustratingly misleading

Offline ryang85

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2017, 03:49:37 PM »
Agreed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
Besides the hassle of hiding his spear shafts in boat paddles due to the weapon charge issue,

Genius... may want to delete that from the public, though!

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »
Agreed

:o Strippers!!!!!
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2017, 07:47:45 AM »
Actually, I think you'll find the stippers over on Auburn Blvd.  It's their preferred habitat. Stipers usually in the river.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2017, 08:53:27 AM »
Agreed

:o Strippers!!!!!

I have a love hate relationship with them...

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline gabbert

• chillin' the most
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2017, 09:59:07 AM »
Yea.

The stripper run here on the delta is usually June through August.

I hear Ski Beach is good.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt