collapse

Author Topic: Sous Vide Abalone---is it really worthwhile?  (Read 671 times)

Offline dank

Sous Vide Abalone---is it really worthwhile?
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »
We've had an immersion circulator for a few years and have mostly used it to sous vide meats. It's a great tool and it really does live up to the hype around it. I'm not sure why it took me so long to try abalone. I guess I didn't want to waste it if it didn't turn out well. I don't know what I was thinking though because sous vide abalone rules!

I used the basic David Chang guidelines---82 degrees Celsius for three hours----but cut the time down to two hours since I used thick slices and there was going to be further cooking once it was out of the bag. The results were perfect. It remained firm but sliced very easily and melted in the mouth like butter. We did a fresh pasta preparation with the first round. Yesterday I did two bigger chunks that hadn't been sliced and we plan on doing a couple experimental dishes with them. I'll post the results once they have been tested.

Offline chopper

Re: Sous Vide Abalone---is it really worthwhile?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 08:52:24 PM »
Did you pound the slices or the whole abalone post cleaning? I've been interested in trying this sometime - a friend has a sous vide.

cheers,
Brad

Offline shaun614

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 08:59:43 PM »
After the sous vide, did you fry it or just eat it as is? Btw thanks for experimenting. I will definitely try that recipe with my anova  ;D
"Wherever you go, there you are."

Offline dank

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2017, 09:04:42 AM »
We always pound the abalone whole with a veal press, regardless of the preparation.

After cooking sous vide we have cooked it a little further but I tried it out of the bag and it was very tender. So far we've seared it and grilled it. We have a sushi preparation we want to try with the sous vide and fried slices but we haven't tried that yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dank

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2017, 10:18:33 AM »
We prepared the remainder of our sous vide cooked abalone the other night in the form of ridiculously overstuffed, American style sushi rolls.
We sliced the abalone very thinly, breaded and fried it, then rolled it with avocado, cucumber and uni. There was some wasabi in there and also some red chili aioli. Sprinkled on top are toasted sesame seeds and tobiko.
We made a couple inside out and a couple conventional style.

Offline Ianz415

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
We prepared the remainder of our sous vide cooked abalone the other night in the form of ridiculously overstuffed, American style sushi rolls.
We sliced the abalone very thinly, breaded and fried it, then rolled it with avocado, cucumber and uni. There was some wasabi in there and also some red chili aioli. Sprinkled on top are toasted sesame seeds and tobiko.
We made a couple inside out and a couple conventional style.

Looks bomb!

"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline watersbythebay

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:52 AM »
Thanks for sharing your sous vide experience, i've been meaning to post about mine, I totally agree that its a great way to cook ab. Definitely one of the best ways to keep the very unique and subtle flavor of the abalone.

I did the "pant leg" method of tenderizing the whole abalone at once, doesn't do an amazing job on the edges, and easy to destroy parts of the ab if you aren't careful, but a huge time saver and no mess.

Threw it in a vacuum bag with garlic, thyme, salt and butter. Cooked at 140F for 2 hours and it came out great. Cooked thoroughly but still had some crisp bite to it, and a beautiful flavor. Next time I am going to up the temp to 150F and see if I can get the edges a bit more tender.

You can immediately slice and serve. It's comparable to baking whole, but I always seem to over cook when baking. Sous vide eliminates that risk for me and my poor baking skills.

We got super fancy that night and processed the sous vide ab with some cheese and hand made some abalone ravioli. Which also turned out pretty great, with the added bonus of dumping all the abalone juices/butter from the vacuum bag onto the raviolis. Easily the most gourmet thing we've attempted.

Offline dank

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2017, 11:45:31 AM »
The pant leg is imprecise which is why I like the heavy veal press for the job. It's heavy, flat and you can make precision strikes without completely mangling it. The next thing is to try it without tenderizing to see how big a difference that makes when cooking sous vide.

I'm not sure the sous vide part is really necessary for a fried application (especially with prior tenderization) but it will keep way longer in your refrgerator cooked than it would raw so if I don't plan on eating it all right away I might sous vide it regardless.

* The Noob Spearo Podcast  

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt