collapse

Author Topic: Scupper pro boat Experts?  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Liveclean

Scupper pro boat Experts?
« on: July 03, 2017, 08:16:56 AM »
Guys I have been digging hard for a scupper pro after a lot of research. I am wondering if anyone knows the variations of them over the years. I found this one which is clean but appears older. I am wondering if it's weight and keel are the same as the ones made before they shut down production? I am also wondering if this older boats hatch will take the newer front hatch covers? Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Scupper pro boat Experts?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
It's easier to tell the generation by looking at the aft end.   Is there a spot to mount a rudder?

I have a scupper pro that I bought from Jjjeremy but I haven't picked it up yet.   If you want it I'll sell it to you.

Offline dank

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2017, 06:13:00 PM »
Go here for a everything you need to know about Scupper Pro hatch covers and just about everything else:
http://topkayaker.com/

He'll answer questions if you email him too.

That's a nice specimen of a Scupper Pro Tank Well, which is a later model Scupper Pro. There's a serial number etched on the side of the bow that will give you an exact date of production. If I'm not mistaken, that hatch cover is the current design that they still make and use on other models. It has one gasket rather than two like the older ones (one on the cover, one on the hull). Check out that website though because it has a very clear guide.

They basically went sequentially like this: Scupper Classic with two entirely unique hatches and covers (very much not in production any more); Scupper Pro with double hatches (covers not in production); Scupper Pro Tank Well that uses hatch covers that are still in production. It's possible the older TW models used the older hatch design but I'm uncertain of that.

I have an older double hatch model and I love it. It's not the boat for everyone or everything but it works for me. That one from Craigslist you have there is a sweet find. It's cool that it doesn't have the hatch cut out yet.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:16:14 PM by dank »

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 07:38:35 PM »
Thanks a ton!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2017, 07:39:44 PM »
Just buy it

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2017, 10:45:25 PM »
I wouldn't want to mess with finding and installing a hatch on that kayak, but based on how dark yellow the plastic is, and lack of fading on the labels, that kayak looks like it's in great condition.

And yeah, Rob's kayak is still around :)

Sent from my K88 using Tapatalk

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 07:33:49 AM »
Thanks guys, I'm planning on grabbing it up today!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 10:09:15 AM »
Not if I out bid you

Offline the_derek

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2017, 02:20:15 PM »
Not if I out bid you

how many yaks do you really need Rob?
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2017, 07:38:28 PM »
Lol!  I'm a gear whore.

I only have 3.... and one on the way.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2017, 11:58:57 PM »
Well I got the boat and it is in prime shape. I added a hell of a lot of miles on to my trip to get it. Top kayak said that the older models where the hatch is not cut open are hard to get covers for. I said to hell with it and bought it anyways. I figured I will find something to punch in there if the other covers won't fit. OK told this guy I could get one from  them. If any of you
Guys are from Monterey area and have a scupper pro that I can test hatch sizes with I would love to get a measurement

Offline dank

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 05:09:38 AM »
Well I got the boat and it is in prime shape. I added a hell of a lot of miles on to my trip to get it. Top kayak said that the older models where the hatch is not cut open are hard to get covers for. I said to hell with it and bought it anyways. I figured I will find something to punch in there if the other covers won't fit. OK told this guy I could get one from  them. If any of you
Guys are from Monterey area and have a scupper pro that I can test hatch sizes with I would love to get a measurement

There are only two possible hatch covers. Check the serial number to see what year it was made and that will indicate which one.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 06:47:07 AM »
Is the last 2 numbers the year it was made?

Offline dank

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 07:16:17 AM »
Yes, the last two.

Offline Liveclean

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 09:30:20 PM »
I spoke through it thoroughly with topkayaker. He knows the history of the molds etc. He believed that an RTM tempo compartment might fit?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt