collapse

Author Topic: mask squeezing  (Read 588 times)

Offline the_derek

Re: mask squeezing
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2017, 09:45:05 PM »
I too prefer no hair in the skirt area.

Shaved is better  :P ;D
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Gab

« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »
I shave just under the nose so the seal is tight. I have used this successfully with the Omer Alien and the Mares Viper. Like it was mentioned by @the_derek it looks a little odd for a couple of days but works well.

You an also try thick mustach wax instead of Vaseline, I tend to stay away from greasy stuff since if it gets on the inner glass you will get fog.

I always press evenly on the mask when I try new masks to simulate the pressure to spot any areas where it will be uncomfortable when I am below.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline fishymotion

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2017, 07:54:30 PM »
Funny thing is I recall water dribbling in by the temples area. Hope I don't have to shave my eyebrows ???

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 06:29:32 PM »
Funny thing is I recall water dribbling in by the temples area. Hope I don't have to shave my eyebrows ???

Are you tucking the skirt under your hood? Could be hair too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline fishymotion

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2017, 04:06:54 AM »
Mask squeeze free diving can lead to serious medical issues. That feeling of discomfort can be a warning that something serious is about to happen. I had a serious mask squeeze at about 30' but went on down to the bottom at 60'.
Had a hemorrhage in my cerebellum, luckily it was a slow leak in a blood vessel and I made it out of the water. Brain surgery, plate in head, etc.  followed... Fixing your mask issue is more important than most divers realize.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing and glad you made it out safe. I googled "mask squeeze" and will read up on it. Some gnarly looking images yowza.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 10:29:53 PM »
Ok, ZGR..whatever.

Seriously, I had problems for a long time with a proper mask fit and pressure at depth. Every person is different, every face is different. My main problem with my mask was 1. Leaking. And 2. Discomfort past 40'.  I went through about 10 masks until I finally found the one that worked. People told me "get a low volume mask". I did but the glass literally was on my eyeballs at 35' and the squeeze was so tight I could not equalize the mask. I now dive with a ScubaPro mask that is big but has never given me a problem (and I sport facial hair). My advise, go into a shop that has about 30 different masks you can put on your face. Don't put the head strap on, but push the mask  as hard as you can onto your face. If it does not hurt your face or nose and the glass does not rub against your eyeballs, and it sticks to your face without you having to keep sucking air into your nose, then you probably found the mask that fits your face. If it's $30, you scored. If it's $150 well, it's worth it right?

* North Coast Swells

Go to wavewatch.com for your local surf forecasts

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt