collapse

Author Topic: mask squeezing  (Read 3463 times)

Offline fishymotion

mask squeezing
« on: July 02, 2017, 04:36:54 PM »
Been having problems with mask equalization.  As I get down to 25 foot depth, mask really presses hard against the eyes and face. Not only is the pressure quite uncomfortable and intense, I wear contacts so worry about dislodging.  I try blowing out through the nose to reduce the pressure, but maybe it just gets sucked back into the lungs?  My mask is an Omer Alien, which I think is considered a low volume mask.  Any suggestions?

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: mask squeezing
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 05:34:55 PM »
So does it feel like your eyes are getting sucked out of your head, or does the mask just press into your face uncomfortably?

It sounds like either your mask doesn't fit correctly or the mask is on too tight.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
Been having problems with mask equalization.  As I get down to 25 foot depth, mask really presses hard against the eyes and face. Not only is the pressure quite uncomfortable and intense, I wear contacts so worry about dislodging.  I try blowing out through the nose to reduce the pressure, but maybe it just gets sucked back into the lungs?  My mask is an Omer Alien, which I think is considered a low volume mask.  Any suggestions?
sounds to me that your mask maybe to tight and/or you are behind the ball on your equalization. As soon as you start down, start equalizing your mask and ears. Might consider an FII coarse if you haven't taken one already.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Amsmosh

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
sounds to me that your mask maybe to tight and/or you are behind the ball on your equalization. As soon as you start down, start equalizing your mask and ears. Might consider an FII coarse if you haven't taken one already.

I agree 100%. Make sure you pre-equalize before you begin your descent. I would recommend equalizing with every kick cycle as well. An easy way to remember this is every time your right leg comes forward.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline fishymotion

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2017, 09:04:42 PM »
The mask feels quite comfortable at surface.  I don't have the straps on tightly but fitment may be somewhat off as at depth I do get water leaking in sometimes to where there's a thin layer covering the lenses after enough dribbling in. The leaking water is quite annoying but I have facial hair mustachio.  I'll try to remember the pre equalization earlier and often.

Offline fishymotion

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
So does it feel like your eyes are getting sucked out of your head, or does the mask just press into your face uncomfortably?

It sounds like either your mask doesn't fit correctly or the mask is on too tight.

yeah, eyeballs feeling like they're about to explode feeling does suck most definitely! I'm assuming they won't really explode tho I hope or get sucked out of my head.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:02:17 PM »
I sometimes have a similar type of issue, about once out of every 25 to 50 dives, my  nose wont allow me to clear  properly and within 3 feet of the surface my mask sucks down incredibly hard and makes me nearly puke and feel strange. This happens even when I pre clear before my dive and it tends to happen much more often when my nose and head is stuffed up so I assume my mask creates a vacuum when I breathe in and doesn't clear properly before the decent. Like Ariel said, every kick cycle I clear and don't have an issue other than the symptom I described. The more often you dive, the easier it is to neutralize in my experience.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2017, 10:12:29 PM »

yeah, eyeballs feeling like they're about to explode feeling does suck most definitely! I'm assuming they won't really explode tho I hope or get sucked out of my head.

If your mask is leaking it doesn't fit correctly.  If you don't have a good seal air will escape making it more difficult to equalize. Make sure that the mask is against your skin and that the hood is not under the skirt and that there is no hair under the skirt. If you don't want to shave your mustache maybe you can trim it down a little where your mask is supposed to seal, or maybe apply some Vaseline in that area to help form a seal....

I have two Omer masks. One was used once and the other twice. Personally I think Omer masks are uncomfortable. They press too hard on my forehead and make it almost unbearable to dive with.

Offline fishymotion

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 10:31:53 PM »
The Omer seems to have a generous skirt in the lip area compared to a sporasub I have. The skirt on the sporasub is practically non-existent it seems.  I figured the larger softer skirt would aid in a better seal with facial hair.  Might have to try the sporasub again and compare also.

Offline the_derek

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2017, 09:12:41 AM »
The Omer seems to have a generous skirt in the lip area compared to a sporasub I have. The skirt on the sporasub is practically non-existent it seems.  I figured the larger softer skirt would aid in a better seal with facial hair.  Might have to try the sporasub again and compare also.

the facial hair might be the issue. I have to shave everywhere the skirt touches, makes my beard look odd for a few days but worth the sacrifice. some guys who refuse to shave use petroleum jelly and that seems to work, but i have not had luck with it.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2017, 04:20:51 PM »
I would think any hair under the skirt would compromise the seal. The more more surface area of the seal on your whiskers the more apt it is to leak. I understand your reasoning but I think it works just the opposite.

Offline John

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2017, 08:16:50 AM »
I too prefer no hair in the skirt area.
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline gabbert

• chillin' the most
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2017, 11:15:51 AM »
I got an Octomask for my birthday last year, the one with the GoPro mount, and had the same problem. It didn't fit right, leaked air, took on water, and my eyeballs felt like they were going to be sucked out of my head at 30'. Equalizing it was a mess.

I bought one that fits well and trim my beard before I dive. Problem solved.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:18:48 AM by gabbert »

Offline Ptown707

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2017, 11:36:47 AM »
I got an Octomask for my birthday last year, the one with the GoPro mount, and had the same problem. It didn't fit right, leaked air, took on water, and my eyeballs felt like they were going to be sucked out of my head at 30'. Equalizing it was a mess.

I love my Octomask, had it for twoish years. Only downside is  the mount fell off a couple months ago.
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

Offline gabbert

• chillin' the most
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2017, 11:40:08 AM »

I love my Octomask, had it for twoish years. Only downside is  the mount fell off a couple months ago.

Not saying there's anything wrong with it. Just didn't seal to my face right.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt