collapse

Author Topic: June 22 F&GC meeting in Smith River.  (Read 564 times)

Online MATT MATTISON

• Team Member of Red Triangle Spearfishing !!!!! They call me Ricky Bobby !!!
  • Administrator
  • Diving the second best wet pleasure !!!
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
June 22 F&GC meeting in Smith River.
« on: June 19, 2017, 07:58:03 AM »
Got this in my email from Jack Likens

sadly does not surprise me there is talk of more reductions and nails in the coffin of the fishery RANT OVER

June 22 F&GC meeting in Smith River.

It looks like the CDFW is going to recommend an extension of the 90-day emergency regulations at the June 22 F&GC meeting in Smith River.  It also looks like they will recommend additional reductions and/or closures for 2018.
This is the report (2 pages) that I downloaded from the agenda binder.

Item No. 33 STAFF SUMMARY FOR JUNE 21-22, 2017     Author:  Sheri Tiemann  1 33. ABALONE  Today’s Item  Information  ☒ Action  ☐ DFW update on the status of the recreational abalone fishery and development of a red abalone fishery management plan. Summary of Previous/Future Actions    Adopted emergency regulations  Dec 7-8, 2016; San Diego   Today’s update from DFW  Jun 21-22; Smith River   Proposed emergency action and notice hearing  Aug 16-17, 2017; Sacramento for compliance rulemaking Background On Dec 7, 2016, FGC took emergency action to change abalone regulations by reducing the annual limit from 18 to 12 (except for Sonoma County, which remained at 9) and reducing the months open to fishing from seven to five by closing Apr and Nov. The emergency regulations became effective on Apr 1, 2017 and will expire on Sep 29, 2017. Early indications, based on recent DFW creel surveys and in-water reports and observations, suggest conditions continue to be very poor and are not likely to quickly improve. Body shrinkage score for red abalone (N=3800) assessed from nine sites throughout the fishery in May 2017 show 25% of the abalone are shrunken and starving. Kelp food resources continue to be poor and the density of purple sea urchin competitors remains high.  There is also growing concern that this summer’s density survey results could trigger recommendations for additional restrictions, including closures. Therefore, DFW recommends FGC schedule consideration of readoption of the emergency regulation for 2017 and notice of its intent to amend regulations to make the 2017 or more restrictive regulations effective for the 2018 fishery season (Exhibit 1). DFW, under direction of FGC, is in the process of drafting a fishery management plan for abalone and will provide an update on progress and next steps. Significant Public Comments  1.  Letter to Senator McGuire and similar letter sent to Assemblyman Wood from Mr. Guil Dye regarding the abalone fishery, stating that Mendocino County in particular is in serious trouble (Exhibit 2) 2.  Photos showing bare kelp stalks and bleached rocks where there should be a kelp forest (Exhibit 3). 3.  Fort Bragg resident concerned about the decline of our ocean ecosystem (Exhibit 4) Recommendation  FGC staff:  Accept DFW’s recommendation.
Item No. 33 STAFF SUMMARY FOR JUNE 21-22, 2017     Author:  Sheri Tiemann  2 DFW:  FGC schedule at its Aug meeting consideration of readoption of the emergency regulation for 2017 and notice of its intent to amend regulations to make the 2017 regulations effective for the 2018 fishery season. Exhibits 1.  DFW memo, dated May 23, 2017  2.  Email from Guil Dye, received Jun 5, 2017 3.  Email from Guil Dye, received Jun 5, 2017 4.  Email from Chad Swimmer, received Jun 6, 2017 Motion/Direction (N/A) Note that action on the proposed regulatory timetable changes will be addressed under agenda item 38C.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS

Online MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
Re: June 22 F&GC meeting in Smith River.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2017, 12:45:05 PM »
June 6th letter from Director of CDFW (Bonham) to Commissioners

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 12:46:52 PM by MATT MATTISON »

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2017, 01:11:11 PM »
Should be another packed house at the Marine Resources Committee meeting in Petaluma on July 27th.  Plan on taking the day off.

http://www.fgc.ca.gov/meetings/2017/index.aspx

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 01:12:42 PM »
And the commission meeting in Sacramento on August 16th.

Online MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2017, 12:40:01 PM »
just amazing !! lets hold these very important meeting during the middle of week so that the working diver cannot attend. It is amazing the one they held on a Saturday last year in the area affected brought in a packed house !!! I guess they really do not want the public/divers input !! you would think they would have noticed the difference in attendance and participation and start holding them on the weekends so AKA joe diver who has to work to take care of his family can go. Joshua is there anything that can be don to have more weekend meetings ? Josh  I keep hearing this same bitch and complaints form divers and regular folks about the meetings !! that they need to be held on weekends so the working folks can attend.

Offline CaExplorer

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 08:28:22 PM »
Are all these open to the public and which are the most important to attend?

-Marine Resources Committee meeting in Petaluma on July 27th.
-June 22 F&GC meeting in Smith River.

Right now, you are exactly where you are supposed to be.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 07:41:41 AM »
You'll get more opportunity to discuss the issue at the MRC meeting rather than just make a statement. 

* North Coast Swells

Go to wavewatch.com for your local surf forecasts

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt