collapse

Author Topic: Need to show a buddy some good kelp forests next weekend...  (Read 736 times)

Offline Zpearo

I've got a friend flying out to do some freediving next weekend 6/22-6/26. The two things he wants to see out here are kelp forests and rock faces down around Monterey. I know some places to take him to see rock faces (Stillwater south, Big Sur), but I haven't been diving anywhere that has healthy kelp forest this year with the die off. Any advice on places in Monterey/Carmel/Big Sur that have healthy kelp right now that I can take him to see? Recommendations for good rock structure or other cool freedive sights would also be fine, but I'm most concerned about the kelp issue right now.

Also, he's planning to rent gear since all the stuff he owns is for warm water scuba. Are there any places that rent freedive suits and long fins? Alternatively, we're willing to throw some beer or fish to anyone who will lend us out some gear. He is 6'3", 185 lbs, and wears size 11 shoe.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:09:17 PM by Zpearo »

Online apeaenlightened

Re: Need to show a buddy some good kelp forests next weekend...
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 03:33:15 PM »
I'm a newbie to all this but south of lovers shows some dark spots from shore I can show you the exact spot on google maps if you'd like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 04:07:02 PM »
I know there is some kelp growth along the inside of Pacific Grove there, but it didn't look super healthy last time I drove by it a couple months back. Is it healthier now?
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 04:18:07 PM by Zpearo »

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 04:51:29 PM »
There is a ton of kelp on the east side of Santa Cruz but viability will most likely be a problem.

Offline WildernessMedic

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 07:32:05 PM »
Try the Monterey bay aquarium. I hear they have some kelp.

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2017, 07:49:13 PM »

While I'm at it, they have a nice giant seabass in there too that I could spear.

Offline WildernessMedic

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2017, 07:53:22 PM »

While I'm at it, they have a nice giant seabass in there too that I could spear.

I want half for telling you about the spot.

Online Amsmosh

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »
Here let me just compile you a list of all my best gps marks and spots. ;D
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Online Amsmosh

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2017, 08:11:15 PM »
But on a serious note, stillwater cove carmel has a decent amount of giant kelp right inside the cove currently.
God grant me the vision to dream of catching fish, the focus to visualize myself catching fish, the faith to believe that I will catch fish, and the wisdom to keep the freezer stocked with hamburgers and hot dogs.

Offline DG

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2017, 09:15:19 PM »
The tuna tank is awesome.  Those suckers are huge.  And the kelp forest is badass with all those species in one spot.

Online apeaenlightened

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2017, 09:37:04 PM »
There's was a lot in shell beach but fuk water looked like chocolate milk

Offline shaun614

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2017, 05:49:21 PM »
There's was a lot in shell beach but fuk water looked like chocolate milk

+1 On SWS Carmel, we just came from there this weekend and there was a ton of kelp inside the cove.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

"Wherever you go, there you are."

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2017, 07:12:19 PM »
There is a lot on the inside of sws, but pretty shallow, not much structure, and not many fish.

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2017, 08:48:51 PM »
There is a lot on the inside of sws, but pretty shallow, not much structure, and not many fish.

Yeah, this is why I'm looking for other spots. With the kelp, I'd like to find somewhere 30+ feet deep with some decent structure, just so he can go down to the bottom and look up at some schools of rockfish. He isn't concerned with fish really, just wants to see the unique ocean environment out here.

There is a spot down in big sur that I haven't been to this year, but hopefully still has some kelp growth. It looks like maybe that is my best bet. Or in Pacific Grove if the kelp is still healthy there, since there's some deep kelp beds around the area

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2017, 09:11:51 PM »
I would take him to a marine protected area. No hunting will give you plenty of fish to see. I've seen big kelp paddies and plenty of sea otters next to the Monterey Aquarium. I would double check the rules tho for that area or any area you plan to dive.

* The Noob Spearo Podcast  

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt