collapse

Author Topic: Beginners speargun?  (Read 1695 times)

Offline ffjdh

Re: Beginners speargun?
« Reply #45 on: June 10, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
I'm pretty certain their store in Petaluma is open now if not very soon. I live in East bay and have a 60, 75, and 90 if you want to handle one.

I appreciate the offer.  I'd like to check out the Pathos and if all goes well pick one up for a dive trip later this coming week.  If I had a longer timeline I'd definitely take you up on your offer though

Offline ffjdh

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2017, 07:32:26 PM »
I ended up ordering a Pathos 60.  Pretty sweet gun.  I was hoping to give this bad boy a try this weekend, but I didn't realize it wouldn't come with any shooting cord. The viability Saturday was pretty poor though, so we just stuck with showing a new ab diver the ropes. 

I've never loaded up a spear with new shooting line so I watched this video:

Anything you guys suggest doing differently or will this work for the Pathos as well?  He said he uses 150lb monofilament, most of the stuff on amazon was 400lb test.  Any issue using the larger line?  Also there are a couple different shockcords attachments (Dyneema, pig tail swivel, and a snap)  any reason to choose one over the others?

Offline DG

« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2017, 09:47:54 PM »
Last time I needed line I just ordered the 250 lb 100' line and crimps from Amazon.  I think my pathos line is less like 150-200 lbs but don't remember for sure.  I think the 400 is to thick to get a smooth shot but hopefully some spear gun builders or suppliers will chime in. 

As for the connections.  I like the corkscrew pigtail ones because the snap swivels are sometimes hard when my nerves in my arm or my carpal tunnel is acting up. 

As for bungies I just ordered a couple from red triangle when I needed something else but you could build your own. 

Is that a cheaper build it yourself pathos gun.  When I bought all of mine they were complete and ready to use.

Offline ffjdh

« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2017, 10:34:32 PM »
Pretty sure I ordered a run of the mill Pathos.  I thought it was pretty odd that it didn't have the line with it,  but when I went back and looked at all the stock photos on a few different online stores none of them had any line in the pictures, so I thought maybe none of the Pathos came with them.  Guess I better contact amazon and see what's up.

* North Coast Swells

Go to wavewatch.com for your local surf forecasts

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt