collapse

Author Topic: Ft Bragg mill site  (Read 1584 times)

Offline Tim C.

Ft Bragg mill site
« on: March 09, 2010, 08:04:19 PM »
Does anyone know if there is any public access to the mill site in Ft Bragg?
Second, is it legal to keep an ab gauge on my tube only, rather than on my person?
Third, where do you guys keep your gauge when diving?
Can't wait to get some abs!
Thanks.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
Re: Ft Bragg mill site
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:53:23 PM »
The only access to the mill is by boat out of Noyo. You should keep your gauge on your person. If your using a ten inch gauge make sure you also have a 7"  gauge, which you can keep on your tube. I carry a 9" gauge on the same lanyard as my iron, both attached to my float line.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 09:22:42 PM »
I would recommend one of speargear shops ab pro gauges it covers all the basses 7,9 and 10 that is what I use.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Calif_Diver

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2010, 10:13:10 PM »
I dont know if the law is you have to have the guage on your person.Is it the law? I usually hang mine on a piece of cord about two feet under water.

NorCalDvr

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:07:33 AM »
My Son and I Dive the mill off of our boat. Great place to teach the little ones. As far as gauges,I Hang mine off of my tube as well. I'm not the most gracefull freediver and carrying the gauge with me through the kelp just gets me hung up. I use the "thumb to pinkie gauge" at the bottom it's roughly 9" and good enough.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 03:31:35 AM by NorCalDvr »

Offline speargearshop

• Sven Anderson Owner- speargearshop.com
    • speargearshop - high performance spearfishing hardware and lifestyle clothing
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 07:22:21 AM »
OK... here's the official, take-it-to-the-Bank definition:
You have to have a means of measuring the ab to be sure it's at least 7" at it's greatest diameter.  That doesn't mean that it has to be a dedicated 7" gauge on your person, just available to you.  If you have a gauge with multiple steps on it, fine, but you gotta have at the minimum a 7" scale.  Whether you have it on your wrist or on a line hanging off your float it doesn't matter, but the ab must measure out at at least 7".  The DFG booklet and me at Speargearshop recommend that you be sure the ab is over 7" BEFORE you pop it and the best way to do that is by experience. 

There's a little dilemma about lugging around a gauge down there, especially if you're new or the conditions are junk.  Face it, the kelp and the cracks will grab anything you have hanging off you that's not streamlined and even then there are times when you go to head up and wonder how the Hell the salad got so buggered around you.  You don't need to add to the kelps ability to snag you by lugging around a gauge and certainly multiple gauges, like a 7" and a 9" or a 10".

Now that said, we trophy-types like to check or mic the snails to be sure they're the magic 10" or at least 9" before we pop 'em and to do that, yeah having a 9-10" gauge is handy.  But it's like having the 7" gauge, you can carry it or hang it off the float.

I went round and around about this over on the WankerBoard site but I'll say it again here- you need a 7" scale. Period.  IF you want to carry additional gauges, fine by me and the DFG.  If you want to make it easy and safe on yourself, you can carry them on the same gauge.  If you want to do that speargearshop makes about the best tool out there and it's been OK'd by the DFG in Redwood City as well as having been checked over by the actual fish cops on the coast. 

YOU HAVE TO HAVE A MEANS OF MEASURING THE SHELL THAT ENSURES THE ABALONE IS 7".  IF YOU ROLL OUT WITH JUST A 10" GAUGE, BY THE BOOK ANYWAY, YOU'RE IN VIOLATION.  And therein lies my bitch with the enforcement...  if you sashay up to your rig with three 10's and a 10" gauge, you're not pulling shorts so no problem.  But the DFG wants you to lug around a minimum measure, so OK, I guess you could make the arguement of it being similar to lobster or clams.  OK I get it, but if you carry a gauge that's more than 7" and all your abalone are over 7" what's the problem? If you take that approach, you want to carry a tape measure to measure your white seabass before you shoot it?  Yeah, that'l work...

Either way folks, stash a 7" gauge in your float and do the experienced eyeball or the thumb-pinky sptretch for the size abs you want.  If you want to cover your bases roll out with an Ab ProGauge with a 7", 9" AND a 10" step.  One tool, zero hassle.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:42:51 PM by speargearshop »

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 01:09:37 PM »
Here are a couple of pics of the ab pro gauge

[smg id=773]
[smg id=774]

Offline speargearshop

• Sven Anderson Owner- speargearshop.com
    • speargearshop - high performance spearfishing hardware and lifestyle clothing
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »
Damn that's a sexy snail.  I'm just real glad that ab's foot hadn't closed further... that would've been a real transgender issue Mattman.  :la:

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 02:33:03 PM »
Damn that's a sexy snail.  I'm just real glad that ab's foot hadn't closed further... that would've been a real transgender issue Mattman.  :la:

:laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 05:53:22 PM »
 :laughing4: LMFAO
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Sebastes

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 06:21:44 PM »
Does anyone know if there is any public access to the mill site in Ft Bragg?
I read in the local paper that the development of the mill sight is in the works.  It is projected to have a coastal trail in ~2 years and the rest will be zoned light industrial and residential.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt