collapse

Author Topic: Foot pain while diving...suggestions?  (Read 1319 times)

Offline Malibu_Two

Foot pain while diving...suggestions?
« on: May 17, 2017, 12:07:03 PM »
Hey folks,
I've got a foot pain issue related to diving which is getting worse and worse, and I'm hoping for some advice before I see the doctor on Friday. I use thick foot socks and 85 centimeter Mako fins. The socks are fairly new, and I cannot remember what kind of socks/how thick I had prior.

About a month ago, I stepped out of bed the day after a long dive and almost fell over. The outside of my right foot, just below the ankle, hurt terribly. I could barely walk for about 30 minutes but as the day progressed the pain went away. This has been happening after each dive. Yesterday, however, I jumped into the water and the pain, in the same place, was present immediately and throughout the dive. It was quite bad but I just put up with it. Today, it still hurts when I straighten my foot and point my toes downward.

Any idea what this is? Has anyone had similar issues? There was no instigating incident, no injury -- just pain that has developed. With summer diving approaching, I'm hoping for relief.

Thanks for any input.

Offline the_derek

Re: Foot pain while diving...suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 01:31:01 PM »
I got a similar pain in my right foot, I  switched fins and the pain follows that foot pocket. I have wide feet and would bet that larger foot pockets might help.
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

Offline BoneSaw

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2017, 07:04:13 PM »
I used to have mako fins that were too small for me... Hurt tremendously! Like Chinese foot wrapping... Got proper sized foot pockets and carbon fins and all gravy since! Not saying you need carbon fins, but the plastic mako's might as well been made from a pine 1x8, so stiff! Hope you can figure something out for some relief, no way to relax out there with your feet feeling like that!

Offline LiveAlohaKris

• Know your limits, but never accept them
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2017, 10:38:01 PM »
I also had mako fiberglass fins and after a long day of diving the outside of my foot/ankle would be a little sore. First make sure your pockets aren't to tight. I actually like mines pretty loose with some wiggle room and I use fin keepers. Switching to a softer fin might do the trick. With stiff fins, people can have pigeon toe (your foot turning inward) while kicking which puts stress on the outside of your feet and ankles. Try a softer fin or if you got the $$$ invest in a good pair of carbons. You should see if someone could lend you a pair of soft carbons that you can try out first. Hope this helps!

Offline ryang85

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2017, 12:03:47 AM »
I also had mako fiberglass fins and after a long day of diving the outside of my foot/ankle would be a little sore. First make sure your pockets aren't to tight. I actually like mines pretty loose with some wiggle room and I use fin keepers. Switching to a softer fin might do the trick. With stiff fins, people can have pigeon toe (your foot turning inward) while kicking which puts stress on the outside of your feet and ankles. Try a softer fin or if you got the $$$ invest in a good pair of carbons. You should see if someone could lend you a pair of soft carbons that you can try out first. Hope this helps!
I had the same issue with plastics and also bad pain in my ankles, knees and calves after a long day, being a skinnier guy  carbon made a huge difference in my energy used throughout the day,   my lower body is usualy only tired instead of cramped or in pain, also i have had lower back pain since early high school football and found since i used carbons my back feels  much better  for the rest of the day than it did before i got in the water, where plastics usualy made it slightly sore.
 Key is to have a proper ballance of stiffness and proper kick, Kris can probably tell you exactly about those. 

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »
Thanks guys. Sounds like I need to wear thinner socks for starters. I'm also considering shifting for a while to my short scuba fins that I used for years as a beginner. Any more advice would be great, but I'll see what the sports doc says and move forward. Thanks again!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt