collapse

Author Topic: Foot cramps  (Read 2415 times)

Offline JimK59

Foot cramps
« on: May 04, 2017, 06:12:42 PM »
Anyone get foot cramps using long fins?  I have a pair of Moana fins, and occasionally get cramps in my feet.  I am training with them swimming 1-1.5 miles daily.  Any other brand of fins recommended?  Please don't call me a wuss as I am sensitive. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ryang85

Re: Foot cramps
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 06:21:36 PM »
your footpockets may be to tight on your feet, thats the usual suspect.  I used to get  ocasional cramps in my legs and feet until i switched to carbon, I rarely get cramps after a long day now.

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »
I just got some Mako fiberglass 85cm fins. The bottoms of my feet cramped up a couple times. Started doing some stretching in the foot area before I leave the house. Now I'm good all day without cramps. Not sure if it was the stretching or just got use to them. Love the fin though.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Marcus

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 08:50:11 PM »
Anyone get foot cramps using long fins?  I have a pair of Moana fins, and occasionally get cramps in my feet.  I am training with them swimming 1-1.5 miles daily.  Any other brand of fins recommended?  Please don't call me a wuss as I am sensitive. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I finned quite a bit in the USMC with issued fins. My feet cramped all the time. Unfortunately I didn't have a choice in changing fins so I just kicked through it. Another Marine told me to eat bell peppers. I tried that too but my feet still cramped. In the end I discovered that i could usually kick through the cramps in about 1 or 2 minutes. After that, the cramps went away. Eventually, my feet didn't cramp anymore. My guess is that the muscles in my lower legs used for finning needed to be conditioned. I had the same experience with my ice climbing boots. My take is that finning and ice climbing require more specific use of certain muscles that are not used during running or walking. With conditioning, my lower legs adapted. In other words, I wouldn't go out and buy new fins. I'd train my feet to get stronger. Another technique that helped increase my foot strength for climbing was to run without shoes in grass or sand. You would be surprised how much a good pair of running shoes prevents your feet from getting stronger.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Offline 123ENGINEERING

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2017, 09:42:47 PM »
I used to get cramps due to tight foot pockets or due to my wide feet.  I typically wear EE shoes.
After I stretched the foot pockets using a heat gun, I no longer get cramps.  I followed a Youtube video instruction and marked Left and Right due to shaping.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2017, 10:58:53 PM »
I get them from wide feet too.  My solution is to take the fin off for a minute once the cramp bothers me enough, then put the fin back on and I'm usually good for the day.

Fin keepers can also pull the food backwards in the pocket, where it's narrower. I stopped using them when I use my 4mm norcal booties for that reason.  My 2mm warm water booties are fine with the keepers.

Offline JimK59

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2017, 11:54:57 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Will try all the suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JackSquirt

• We're life takers and heart breakers
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 12:27:36 PM »
I hear Midol works great for cramps
Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAK_Ey3-Y0OQp06SLvni-pw

Offline kodama

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 03:01:41 PM »
Eat a banana before you leave home to go diving. The potassium helps to prevent cramps. It also digests easily and provides some extra energy. Eat it before you leave and don't take it on the boat. Bad juju!

Sent from the abyss

Offline RhettAllan

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2017, 08:01:29 PM »
Make sure you hydrate extensively one or even two days before diving, including hydrating the morning of. This has made all the difference in the world for me in terms of preventing running cramps, but I am confident one would experience the same results with their feet while finning. I typically drink just shy of a gallon of water each day for a few days before a dive as kind of an experiment and I notice a complete absence of cramps and MUCH more energy while out diving, as I can bust out well over 60 dives as opposed to 40 max! More people should try this.

Offline ryang85

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 08:25:47 PM »
Make sure you hydrate extensively one or even two days before diving, including hydrating the morning of. This has made all the difference in the world for me in terms of preventing running cramps, but I am confident one would experience the same results with their feet while finning. I typically drink just shy of a gallon of water each day for a few days before a dive as kind of an experiment and I notice a complete absence of cramps and MUCH more energy while out diving, as I can bust out well over 60 dives as opposed to 40 max! More people should try this.
Same case with me, the night before i drink as much water as possible. You also loose a ton of internal water just being in the saltwater.

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2017, 09:22:03 AM »
I'll echo the point about hydration. Easy way to check if you are properly hydrated. If your pee is clear or straw colored you are well hydrated, if darker,you are under hydrated. Also, if rehydrating while diving, use a sports drink like Gatorade that has electrolytes.

Offline rlg239

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2017, 10:04:56 AM »
I'll echo the point about hydration. Easy way to check if you are properly hydrated. If your pee is clear or straw colored you are well hydrated, if darker,you are under hydrated. Also, if rehydrating while diving, use a sports drink like Gatorade that has electrolytes.

If its electrolytes you want then yeah drink your brawndo, its what plants crave. But plenty of  water and a little snack is just as good. But whatever works best for you.
-Robert

Offline MJM

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
I'm pretty sure it's those fins, I'll be a friend and reluctantly offer to trade some gara 3000's for them ::)  ... straight across
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 12:31:14 PM by MJM »

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt