collapse

Author Topic: Chinese style fish balls  (Read 1362 times)

Offline dank

Chinese style fish balls
« on: March 24, 2017, 02:21:52 PM »
This has become one of my favorite recipes over the past year. It's especially good when there is an abundance of scraps or carcasses, although oftentimes I'll just dedicate some of the catch to a batch of balls since they're so easy and good (if not slightly messy to make). For simplicity's sake, imagine this recipe being made with the carcass scrapings of a lingcod and two whole black or blue rockfish. Abalone trim is another great component. In one of the pictures the balls have black flecks in them. Those had some abalone trim included (I'm pretty sure that all of these pictures are from separate occasions).

Ingredients:

Fish scraps, scrapings, bits, pieces, whatever
Salt to taste
Sesame oil, a splash or two
White or black pepper to taste
Cornstarch, 1 tablespoon
Water, about 1/3 cup

Procedure:

Mince the fish with a knife or in the food processor and add the salt, pepper and sesame oil to form a paste. Make a ball with the paste and throw it against a cutting board or counter top until it is springy. There is tremendous debate as to the number of times you do this. I think it takes between thirty and fifty throws but you'll figure it out. The key is springiness and once that is achieved, mix the cornstarch with the water and pour it into a well that you have formed in the ball. Knead the ball gently to combine the slurry into the paste and reform into a ball, which will now be springy and shiny.

Form smaller balls from the bigger one and drop them in boiling water. Once they float, they're done. They can then be cooled and stored in ziplock bags for future use in soups or by themselves. They can also be fried.

Delicious!

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
Re: Chinese style fish balls
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 03:34:00 PM »
Looks dam good Dan.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline Road Runner

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 05:11:43 PM »
Looks pretty chronic. This is a great way to maximize the amount of meat harvested from a fish!

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2017, 08:00:23 PM »
I definately like my balls kneeded gently : :o

Offline the_derek

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 08:55:27 AM »
I definately like my balls kneeded gently : :o

Very gently...
Death is very often referred to as a good career move.

-Buddy Holly

Insta  @_the_derek_

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt