collapse

Author Topic: Seeking Volunteers  (Read 1491 times)

Offline Joshua R.

Seeking Volunteers
« on: March 20, 2017, 08:03:50 AM »
Department of Fish and Wildlife is looking for volunteers to be out on the coast on the morning of April 1 to remind people that abalone season opens May 1 this year. The plan is to post up teams of two volunteers at as many sites as we can from just before 8am til about 10am so volunteers can spearfish after or just enjoy a day on the coast. Let me know if you're interested.

Offline Sir Rob IV

Re: Seeking Volunteers
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:47:04 PM »
Telling people it's not the abalone opener on April fool's day sounds fun.  Count me in

Offline WildernessMedic

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 01:49:48 PM »
Shoot me a reminder a few days prior and I can probably come out. I get an official yellow rain jacket and plastic badge right?

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 01:54:40 PM »
Telling people it's not the abalone opener on April fool's day sounds fun.  Count me in

Don't think that wasn't pointed out.  They haven't printed the 2017 regs yet so we have no official documentation, it'll be early in the morning and they probably just drove for 3+ hours. 

We're just going to be asking them to read the date that is printed on their abalone card though so hopefully that will get them over the April fools hurdle.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2017, 07:11:43 AM »
The areas we would most like to cover are Moat Creek, Pt Arena, Glass beach, The mill in FT Bragg and Todd Pt. preferably we'd like to be two man teams and cover the spot from around 8-10am or so. The minus tide is lowest at 9:30 so that's when I'd expect the most activity. Is anyone interested in helping?

Offline DG

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
The areas we would most like to cover are Moat Creek, Pt Arena, Glass beach, The mill in FT Bragg and Todd Pt. preferably we'd like to be two man teams and cover the spot from around 8-10am or so. The minus tide is lowest at 9:30 so that's when I'd expect the most activity. Is anyone interested in helping?
I can monitor any location in Ft Bragg for a couple hours.  Just let me know which one.  Glass beach is probably the most active on normal opening weekend.  Someone may be able to monitor Todds point, Noyo beach and Noyo headlands all from the bluffs with some binoculars. 

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2017, 02:21:10 PM »
I've got a couple people watching Glass Beach already.  The next most important spots would be Todd Point or the Georgia Pacific Mill property.  8:30-10:30am would be prime time as the minus tide is at 9:30.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »
Here's the handout

Offline DG

Seeking Volunteers
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
I just remembered it's reef check re cert weekend.  If Anna is flexible I may still be able to check the Mill property before class.  Will let you know.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• They call me Ricky Bobby !!!
  • Administrator
  • Diving the second best wet pleasure !!!
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 04:11:53 PM »
Like we discussed today josh I will hit some of the Sonoma coast spots Saturday morning
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS

Offline Shark Slayer

• Every Day is a Good Day
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2017, 06:26:43 PM »
I can't make it to help out, but I have a question.  Are the fliers going to be posted at common access points, or is it only going to be volunteers?  Seems to me, might be good to post them around various places in case there are not enough volunteers.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• They call me Ricky Bobby !!!
  • Administrator
  • Diving the second best wet pleasure !!!
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 07:32:59 PM »
I can't make it to help out, but I have a question.  Are the fliers going to be posted at common access points, or is it only going to be volunteers?  Seems to me, might be good to post them around various places in case there are not enough volunteers.
I plan on printing out about 75 of them to post up and hand out, I am trying to cordnate a Sonoma coast team, so far there is 4 of us. If interested pm me
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME & SUPPORTIVE SPONSORS

Offline DG

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 08:20:38 PM »
I have no problem helping out but by now if you don't know the Abalone start day is a month delayed then you deserve a ticket. 

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2017, 09:01:54 PM »
I agree.
MN

I have no problem helping out but by now if you don't know the Abalone start day is a month delayed then you deserve a ticket.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
So Matt's covering Sonoma with his crew, I've got southern Mendocino.  Mendo Ab Watch is going to cover Glass Beach and Reef Check is covering Van Damme.  That leaves Todd Point and the Georgia Pacific Mill that we need to man.  Anyone?

* North Coast Swells

Go to wavewatch.com for your local surf forecasts

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt