collapse

Author Topic: Oceanic f.10 watch strap issue  (Read 543 times)

Offline Zpearo

Oceanic f.10 watch strap issue
« on: March 17, 2017, 05:18:02 PM »
So I took my Oceanic f.10 out for my first dive after getting it repaired (the glass cracked from the inside, not on the outer face, and Oceanic eventually replaced it under warranty after a long fight with them)... but on my first dive out with it, the metal clasp on the strap came off as I was adjusting it. Check out my pictures. The protrusions on the metal bar push in and out, and it seems that the flexible rubber of the band can grab them and pull them in far enough to make the clasp fall off. Which means essentially nothing is holding your watch on your wrist any more.

I'm very hesitant to dive with my watch again with this strap on it, and will probably be duck taping around the strap after I get the watch on. Does anyone have a suggestion of a better strap I can use with this watch?

Offline Sir Rob IV

Re: Oceanic f.10 watch strap issue
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
I had the same problem happen to me. When I brought it up to them, they said its covered under the warranty. Mine was out of warranty tho, so I just bought a new strap myself.
However since they just serviced your watch it should have 1 year warranty I believe?

Also this thread can help with alternatives
http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/index.php?topic=9851.msg79936#msg79936

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 10:37:21 PM »
When they returned the watch it came with a piece of paper saying it is no longer warranteed. I was surprised, but I'm guessing they did that because I had to raise such a stink to get them to fix the cracked glass even though the cracks were on the inside of the glass and obviously not my fault.

So I guess I'll just be buying a new strap. But how does them replacing the strap fix the issue? The new strap will have the same bar that the ends will push in on in the same way.

Offline DG

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 10:45:36 PM »
My F11 is still going good but sounds like their warranty sucks.  Not sure what company will get my money when I need to replace it.  My extension strap broke in the past but another diver gave me his since he wasn't using it. 

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 06:52:32 AM »

So I guess I'll just be buying a new strap. But how does them replacing the strap fix the issue? The new strap will have the same bar that the ends will push in on in the same way.

The thread I posted talks about an alternative strap

Offline Zpearo

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 08:54:56 AM »

The thread I posted talks about an alternative strap

Yeah I saw that and that's what I'll buy. My comment was just about how even with oceanic replacing your strap under warranty, I wouldn't think that fixes the issue since the problem is with their strap design in the first place.

Thanks for the link.

Offline jjjjeremy

• Your resident swordsmith
    • ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 12:17:54 PM »
A 20mm NATO or Zulu strap is the perfect solution.  You'll re-use the screw-in pins that fit on the head of the watch.

FYI, it's a really ugly solution

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 12:18:39 PM »

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »

How do you like it jjjeremy? Also how long is it? I hate using the f.10s extended band

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 03:49:27 PM »
I just put that strap one for a minute to show someone about a year ago. Took it right off.  Extra long Zulu straps will make it work over a wetsuit.

Offline dank

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:39:07 PM »
I just put that strap one for a minute to show someone about a year ago. Took it right off.  Extra long Zulu straps will make it work over a wetsuit.

And I've had the $8 Nato strap on mine ever since!

I recommend this conversion.

Offline dank

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:58:02 PM »

How do you like it jjjeremy? Also how long is it? I hate using the f.10s extended band

If you do buy a Nato strap, make sure you get it extra long and also make sure it's not too thick. The heavy duty ones won't fit but the standard Nato strap is just the right width for the F10. JJJeremy thinks it's ugly but I actually think it's an aesthetic upgrade. More classic.

Offline Sir Rob IV

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 05:36:07 PM »

If you do buy a Nato strap, make sure you get it extra long and also make sure it's not too thick. The heavy duty ones won't fit but the standard Nato strap is just the right width for the F10. JJJeremy thinks it's ugly but I actually think it's an aesthetic upgrade. More classic.
[/quote]

Cool, what strap size did you use? site has 16-22mm

Offline dank

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
Rob,

I have the extra long 20mm, which is as thick as you can go with the F10. It's not the heavy duty one but it's plenty tough. You'll be hard-pressed to shred it anytime soon.

Dan

Offline jjjjeremy

• ABSCALIBUR
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2017, 01:14:58 PM »
Definitely 20mm, I measured it with my "trophy" abalone digital calipers :)

* North Coast Swells

Go to wavewatch.com for your local surf forecasts

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt