collapse

Author Topic: Between Jenner/Russian Gulch and Fort Ross  (Read 562 times)

Offline heyyourivera

Between Jenner/Russian Gulch and Fort Ross
« on: March 15, 2017, 09:29:32 PM »
Im doing a day hike soon during low tide through the 8-mile so-called "Sonoma Lost Coast" from Jenner to Fort Ross. Not doing any diving, but was just wondering if anyone has ever dived this area and knows how it is with abalone or spearfishing. It would seem like an area that isn't visited very often due to its overall ruggedness and difficulty to get to the beaches, especially with a bunch of gear. But if its good, im down for the hike. Message me if its more appropriate.

Offline lawtalkingguy

Re: Between Jenner/Russian Gulch and Fort Ross
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 12:26:21 AM »
The area is closed to abalone from Jewell Gulch through the Southwest Cape at Fort Ross.  It also generally has poor viz because of the black sand beaches down there, along with the outflows of the Russian and Russian Gulch.  The water temperature is a few degrees colder than the rest of the coast. 

Only part of the area is passable, even at low tide.  The Jenner to Russian Gulch stretch is not passable along the beach, and around the entrance to Muniz Ranch you'll have to walk along Highway 1.  Just north of Russian Gulch is another rock outcropping that may block northbound progress.  The remainder of the hike is a difficult, slow slog over loose rock with occasional soft sand.  There are a couple trails that go up the cliffs.  Doing them with gear would be terrible.

Offline Abalonejoe

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 11:21:05 AM »
Damn..... isnt that place called the scareys?

Offline ji

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »
I have read about that hike in this book, https://www.amazon.com/Hikers-pocket-Guide-Sonoma-County/dp/0939431319/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1489951222&sr=1-4. This hike is from Russian Gulch to Fort Ross 5 3/8 miles. This site may be of interest to you,  http://www.californiacoastline.org/cgi-bin/image.cgi?image=200504591&mode=sequential&flags=0&year=2005
 I have dove this area several times (heavens beach) your not getting by this outcropping at waters edge. Super shark sketchy and poor vis even after no runoff from the Russian River. I dove a pinnacle way out both fish and large ab's were taken. I won't dive this area again. I did hike an area south of the Fort Ross closure good 300' down off the road and saw what looked to be an old Ducati bike carcass.  :o. I can't imagine dragging a couple abs and fish up that cliff. I'm too lazy   
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 01:42:58 PM by ji »

Offline Ianz415

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 04:14:53 PM »
Dove it a handful of times. Hope you're in good shape and a strong swimmer. Imagine diving ghost trees on a day with sizable long period swell with low vis.
"Out of water, I am nothing." Duke Kahanamoku

* North Coast Swells

Go to wavewatch.com for your local surf forecasts

* THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

* Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt